PDA

View Full Version : Longworth chuck speed

Norris Randall
12-24-2014, 2:19 PM
Greetings,
I've just received a longworth chuck. The literature states in bold print not to exceed 600 RPMs.
My old Oliver will only get down to 800+.
I called the supplier and was told that would be OK as long as I remember "LIGHT CUTS".

I would appreciate some additional assurance from the more experienced turners here,
I don't want to be "up the creek".

If I'm going to return it I will not take it out of the box.

Merry Christmas ​to all.

Roger Chandler
12-24-2014, 2:33 PM
It would be helpful if you posted a pic of the longworth chuck. Depending on the configuration of the holding points [usually they are rubber button type] If the rubber buttons are made where they have a dovetail type lip on them to hold the bowl [just using bowl as a generic form] then there is material there to help keep the bowl rim from sliding out of the button hold.

If they are like my cole jaws where the rubber buttons have a more rounded edge, then the higher the speed the more risk of coming out of the hold. The 200 rpm difference is not that great a deal if you do take light cuts and have a secure hold, but make sure the hold is a secure one before you get too close and involved!!!

If the holding points are of some other type than rubber button type and you get a secure hold, then the 200 rpm increase will not likely be an issue.

Paul Williams
12-24-2014, 2:37 PM
With the tail stock in place you should not have any problems. I have the longworth chuck that Craft Supplies sells. I have managed to pull a bowl out of the rubber posts. So be very careful after you remove the tailstock. IMHO the longworth is the least secure way to hold a bowl but it is quick and easy. I don't believe that I have tried using the chuck at over 500 rpm so I can't comment on the speed being an issue other than how far the bowl will fly if you unseat it.

Thom Sturgill
12-24-2014, 2:46 PM
I am not surprised at the limitation. My Nova SN2 chucks give speed limits much lower than what I use them at. Depending on jaws not much more than the 800RPM your Oliver bottoms out at. I think the lawyers require them to be super cautious.

Norris Randall
12-24-2014, 4:27 PM
Thanks to you three speedy responders . The rubber buttons (post) are tapered. I had had the same feeling regarding the lawyers. So I will keep my chuck and be extra cautious.
Thanks again and another Merry Christmas! & Happy New Year !

Don Bunce
12-24-2014, 5:08 PM
Just to be on the safe side, you could add some tape to make the bowl more secure.

George Troy Hurlburt
12-25-2014, 10:42 AM
I agree with all the other comments. I have the cole jaws and sometimes at need, I will take a small block of wood against the bottom and then bring my tail stock up to it to protect the bottom from the sharp point of the live center point. If you do leave a wood cone on, your wood bottom, do not snap it off, you will take out a chunk and then you will need a filler round. I will power or hand sand that bottom through a sand paper series until it is glass smooth. One of the live centers I have, I think it is a
Delta has replaceable tips and one of those tips has a small diameter flat bottom to it.