PDA

View Full Version : workshop snake arm lights dedicated to a power tool

James Nugnes
12-24-2014, 5:39 AM
There appears to be two candidates for most popular workshop snake arm light for direct attachment or mag mount attachment to tools like band-saws stc. There is the Danray LCD 24" snake light with mag or direct mount and then the Rockler 24" that comes with direct and mag mount in one package.

The Danray is clearly more expensive but is a bit more diminutive and has s double wall shade making it easy to move around while in operation as the outer shade remains cool to the touch.

The Rockler has more of an umbrella shape single wall shade. However you can get the coiled fluorescent light bulbs for it which would just about allow for the same ability to move the light from the shade as the bulb would be cooler and would not heat the shade as much. The Rockler is $47 and hen add another $10 for he bulb. The Dannray is anywhere from $65 to $72 and again you only get one mounting option with the Danray. In photos the toggle switch looks a bit more durable on the Rockler but I have nothing to back that up.

Wondering if folks have a preference here. Tough choice as the Rockler is still less money even with buying a bulb for it.

A third option that I had not thought of till I saw it was a cree flashlight with adjustable beam with a mounting snake arm and again the usual direct or mag mount. In fact, if I could find one of the mounting arms sold separately I could use one of the cree flashlights i already own. I have to admit that this option even if I have to buy the complete set is kind of attractive to me. Many reviewers have complaints about the quality of the mounting arm but that might just be an issue of buying the right one from the right company. Is anybody using this third option for a light dedicated to a specific power tool and how has that worked out for you.

I did notice that all of the shop light options available have gotten much more costly the last few years which leads me to suspect that the lower cost options available a few years ago have turned out to be safety hazards. That would actually not surprise me. There is a good deal that can go wrong with these things....all the way from the mag mount or even the direct mount losing its grip and the light falling into the tool...Oh my God!!!! or heat causing some sort of an issue or the electrical stuff going bad on the thing. Got one with an open bottom meaning no cover over the bulb??....could bump it...break the bulb and have the pieces fall into the tool thus being scattered like shrapnel.

In part the reason I am drawn to the cree flashlight on a mounting arm is because it would run off of battery. Bulb is covered. Switch is generally high quality. Heat is normally not that much of an issue. Plus I have so many cree flashlights that if I could find a good quality mag arm for maybe even $30 I would be in business with a very good light without throwing down 3 figures or close to it to get there.

So what do folks like?

Bruce Page
12-24-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm very happy with the mag base Danray on my bandsaw. It stays put and the shade doesn't overheat even with a 100 watt bulb in it.
The Rockler is probably nice too.

Frank Martin
12-24-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm very happy with the mag base Danray on my bandsaw. It stays put and the shade doesn't overheat even with a 100 watt bulb in it.
The Rockler is probably nice too.

I have three Moffatt lamps. Danray looks exactly like those. They are extremely well made. I have not seen the Rockler lamp, but Moffatt are made in the US and I think they are worth their price and more. For my bandsaw, to avoid the cord I purchased one of the Lee Valley LED lamps with a mag base, but it is very filmsy compared to the Moffatt lamps. I am thinking about installing a Moffatt with a quick connect base on my bandsaw and deal with the cord. May be I will even go through the hassle of hardwiring it to my 220V bandsaw's electrical connection.

Bill White
12-24-2014, 6:56 PM
I just use LEDs with mag bases. No heat, fuss, and inexpensive. Got 'em at Hobby Lobby for about $20.00.
Bill

Robert Payne
12-24-2014, 7:35 PM
I purchased one of these (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=71189&cat=1,43349&ap=1) about 2 months ago and I really like it. Dual magnets and it can be adjusted easily for either a spot or flood lamp. Nice and bright and reasonably priced. Add a few bucks to your order and you'll qualify for free shipping. My favorite toyl store.

James Nugnes
12-24-2014, 8:09 PM
Which light Robert? There isn't one showing in your post.

Dave Lehnert
12-24-2014, 9:14 PM
I use the light sold by Shopsmith. What I like about it, They sell extra mounting brackets that the lamp just slides on and off of. Easy to move from tool to tool when needed.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/mvmisc_utilitylight.htm

Bruce Page
12-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Dave, that looks like a rebadged Danray right down to the optional magnifier - but at a better price.

Edit: Except I think it has an 18" arm, not the 24".

Bob Michaels
12-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Moffatt for me. I have a dual head on my Oneway lathe with Oneway's swivel arm setup and one on each of 3 sharpening or grinding stations, and one on most larger equipment except Sawstop, Jointer, Planer. I think I have 10 in all. I have some on simple extension arms that extend the 18" or 24" reach to where I need them on the Router table, bandsaw, spindle sander, workbench. Now you guessed it...these 71 year old eyes can't see very well anymore. Love those Moffatts. You can curse about the cost but you can't beat the quality and functionality. The various attachment options are also very convenient.

mark kosse
12-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Bill, I'm guessing your using sewing machine lights? I started using these magnetic led lights on everything. You can get them on eBay for 10-15.00. 10 being 10 led and 15 is 20 LEDs. Handy little dudes and attach anywhere metal, well.

James Nugnes
12-25-2014, 6:38 AM
I like that rubber boot that you can buy for the switch on the Moffatt. I suspect it would fit on the Danray as well.

Robert Payne
12-25-2014, 1:57 PM
James,

Click on the word "these" in my post above and it takes you to the page on LV Tools.

Which light Robert? There isn't one showing in your post.

Frank Martin
12-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Moffatt, Danray and Shopsmith all look the same. I know Moffatt comes in both 18" and 24" sizes. I bet they all use the same mounting options.

Rick Moyer
12-27-2014, 8:35 AM
James,

Click on the word "these" in my post above and it takes you to the page on LV Tools.
No, Rob, it only takes you to their home page. I think James wants a direct link to the lights, as I suspect you thought you linked to.

Mark W Pugh
12-27-2014, 10:04 AM
I purchased one of these (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=71189&cat=1,43349&ap=1) about 2 months ago and I really like it. Dual magnets and it can be adjusted easily for either a spot or flood lamp. Nice and bright and reasonably priced. Add a few bucks to your order and you'll qualify for free shipping. My favorite toyl store.

The link finally worked for me. I have this exact light (# 15J77.01). It is built well, but it's not the light to beat all. I have it on my old drill press, and it droops from position as the drill runs.

Robert Payne
12-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Wow, I am surprised that the link in my post above doesn't take you directly to the Magnetic-Mount LED Work Light at Lee Valley Tools (I just tried it again and it worked fine). Here is the full link: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=71189&cat=1,43349&ap=1 that should work to get you there. As an addition, here are two pictures, too.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/Woodworking/Assorted/15j7703s3.jpghttp://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/Woodworking/Assorted/15j7703s5.jpg

Tony Joyce
12-27-2014, 10:24 AM
No, Rob, it only takes you to their home page. I think James wants a direct link to the lights, as I suspect you thought you linked to.

If you click on the continue at the bottom of the free shipping banner you will be directed to the lights.

Grant Wilkinson
12-27-2014, 11:57 AM
The Moffat style works well on most machines. The caution is when using them on lathes. I have two of them with the recommended 100W incandescent bulb in each. When shavings get in between the sides of the bulb and the housing, they catch fire! I'm not the only turner reporting on this. These things get very hot. One of mine has just smoldered. The other was in flames. They give off a very good light, but keep them away from flying combustibles.

Rick Moyer
12-28-2014, 10:31 AM
If you click on the continue at the bottom of the free shipping banner you will be directed to the lights.
Weird. The first several times I clicked on the original link Rob had it didn't go to the lights and just now it DID go to the lights. I don't know why.

Dave Cullen
12-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I use one of the Lee Valley mag lights and I think it's perfect for spot lighting on the bandsaw or drill press. The magnet is strong enough to keep it in place. I just have to remember to turn it off, as the batteries don't last long.

For my lathe I have an articulate arm lamp with a standard light bulb. I like the color of incandescent better than the white LED light.

James Nugnes
12-30-2014, 3:35 AM
I got the Rockler. At least to me it just has too much going for it. Price, free Rockler shipping on orders (I am guessing till Jan 1), price inclusive of 24" flex arm, incandescent bulb included, both mount types (mag and direct) included.

Plus I will be using it exclusively on a band saw. I like having the wider shade for band saw use as at least in my case, I like having additional light not only on the blade in the wood but I like to see where I am going and where I have been. Probably just my age but if I get too much focused light in a woodworking application, I really struggle with seeing at the edges of the beam shape. So a really narrow beam by virtue of the shade is an issue for me. OK for cree flashlights in the ways that I use those but a problem around a power tool like a band saw. I really can't tell if the Moffatt's and the Danray shades focus light or not. Their depth suggests that the shell might be a housing more than it is a shade. But there again, I think the shade on the Rockler at least for me is a better idea for a band saw.

As for insisting on the 24" reach, I am likely to mount my mag mount base on top of the upper wheel housing as opposed to the more common side of the wheel housing and snake the light down from there.

I use all three kinds of light source at the carving bench, LED, incandescent and fluorescent and will often move around with lighting to get the kind of direct view and shadow I ant on the carving. But just cutting away at blocks of wood with a band saw, I prefer the nearest, brightest light to be incandescent.

Bruce Page
12-30-2014, 1:14 PM
The Rockler looks like a very nice work light. I have my Danray mounted on the back of my BS with the 24" arm curved around the front edge. The 24" arm gives you lots of mounting options.

James Nugnes
12-30-2014, 5:15 PM
Funny how many potential lighting options there are out there. I really do like the LV now that I have seen it. They do look like the kind of light that would really eat batteries though.

I ended up buying the Rockler 24" task light. It is much like the ever popular elextrix task light, the one with the vented shade. The Rockler's shade does have some venting but it does not look like it is as well vented as the elextrix. Hopefully that won't be an issue. If it is I will toss a different bulb type in there.

Why the Rockler:
Consistently good user reviews, Price, free Rockler shipping, corded as opposed to battery, 24" goose-neck, incandescent bulb standard, both mag and direct mount included. I intend mounting the mag base to the top of the upper bandsaw wheel housing as opposed to mounting to the side. So the extra goose-neck length should help. I like the idea of a shade which is really a reflector and an incandescent bulb. I am sure it is just age catching up to me. But if I have a task light that throws a narrow beam, I have difficulty seeing just off the edges of that beam. So with a reflector, I should be able to light up the whole bandsaw table not just the blade which will help me. But in truth I think bandsaws are tough to light because the upper wheel housing usually gets in the way and no matter what you do, you are casting a shadow. The upper wheel housing casts a shadow or the blade itself casts a shadow. At any rate, while many task lights are shown mounted really close to the work surface with the beam directly on the work area, I am opting to try to get the light source to cast a wider beam hopefully across the entire bandsaw table. I will probably mount it to the top about half way the length of the wheel housing and try to direct the light across the table and angled from a corner. That way I should not have to deal with shadow from the upper wheel housing and any shadow from the blade itself should be cast behind the cut line.

No wonder so many of us try to work outside when we can. By the time you are done with dust collection hoses and fittings and funnels and lighting you and your saw and your workpiece are surrounded.