PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite serving/fruit bowl--a gift

David Hill
12-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Had some shop time over past few evenings and figured it was time to catch up on some "owes". I had cut a nice slab from a Mesquite crotch and got a fair sized blank out of it so thought I'd turn a bowl to show off the grain patterns that I was sure were there. Wasn't disappointed.
Bowl has a old crack-ring shake- that the tree repaired in years past that comes in from the edge--made things a little interesting during the turning, but had no problems.
Bowl also has nice grains, sapwood (yellow), and only minimal inlay needed. Finish is poly, and is ~14 x 3 inches.
Think he'll like it (know his wife will).

Dennis Ford
12-24-2014, 7:26 PM
Very nice!

George Troy Hurlburt
12-24-2014, 8:07 PM
Had some shop time over past few evenings and figured it was time to catch up on some "owes". I had cut a nice slab from a Mesquite crotch and got a fair sized blank out of it so thought I'd turn a bowl to show off the grain patterns that I was sure were there. Wasn't disappointed.
Bowl has a old crack-ring shake- that the tree repaired in years past that comes in from the edge--made things a little interesting during the turning, but had no problems.
Bowl also has nice grains, sapwood (yellow), and only minimal inlay needed. Finish is poly, and is ~14 x 3 inches.
Think he'll like it (know his wife will).

Very nice Mesquite like walnut is fun to work with. The wood has lots of character. Thanks for showing.

Thomas Canfield
12-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Nice bowl. It looks like you are giving him a sample of all the different features of the Mesquite.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Beautiful bowl! I am sure whoever received the gift - loves it! Nice work!