PDA

View Full Version : Pine Fruit Bowl

Thomas Canfield
12-23-2014, 10:52 PM
This is a 18.5 D x 5"H dead pine tree bowl. The trunk had a lot of shake in it and even this section had some loose ring section area. It has simple oil finish for utility use holding fruit or whatever. I forgot to take a photo before loading in the fruit, 6 lbs apples, 5 lbs oranges, 8 bananas, 2 dozen snack bars, 2 candy bars, and a pineapple. It is a gift for my DIL parents that will be having 7grandchildren + many visitors at "camp" for a week. 302605302606 I filled the bowl once - next time someone else needs to go to the store.

Bowl was turned "green, mostly dry" and left for about 6 months before final sanding. It had not warped too much and was not returned except to remove the tenon and finish bottom. I did have a problem using my new vacuum chucking system since the inside had a slight warp and could not get a good seal for 4" PVC coupling size cup. Bowl not that heavy, but it does give one a surprise when it comes rolling off at 250 rpm. I remember why I do not like a vacuum, but still need to work with it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-23-2014, 11:27 PM
That is one huge bowl! Beautiful grain! I am sure the people getting this gift will love it!

David Delo
12-24-2014, 7:02 AM
In the season of making ornaments and little nik-nak type stuff......you certainly super sized your order on this one. Nice job.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-24-2014, 8:02 AM
I did have a problem using my new vacuum chucking system since the inside had a slight warp and could not get a good seal for 4" PVC coupling size cup.
Tom, Great fruit bowl. I see lots of healthy foods in there. In regard to the problem you had using vacuum on a warped inside; Here is how I address that issue. Before I remove a rough out from the lathe I move the tailstock into the bowl and leave a dimple at dead center inside. When I want to second turn it on a drum chuck I remount the warped bowl with the inside facing the tailstock and use the dimple I left to center the bowl on the drum chuck. (Vacuum not running at this time). I use a morse taper extension to make room to work inside the bowl. Then I true a section inside the bowl a bit larger than the drum I will be using for vacuum. That gives me a perfectly true place to vacuum or even to jam the bowl against when you turn it around. It sounds like more effort than it really is.
Some will say they have a quicker method but this works well for me because I core quite a few bowls and don't bother putting a tenon on the cores. This method allows me to second turn a core completely on a drum chuck and vacuum.
Enjoy the "fruit" of your labor and have a great Holiday.
faust