PDA

View Full Version : Turning a hall coat tree 4x4 or ?

Ed Wood
12-23-2014, 7:15 PM
I new turner just past the making square wood round stage. Thinking about a hall coat tree seems like a good way to learn some of the basics and have some fun. As I am not sure if the 1st attempt will wind up in the fire place plan on using some inexpensive most likely pine.
Ok back to question would a 4x4 be ok to use or better to glue up smaller boards, as this is a learning experience wood will be from big box store. I have been working with wood for years so understand about wood movement just wondering what is easier to turn or if it matters at all.

Thom Sturgill
12-23-2014, 7:47 PM
From what I have seen, most 4x4s are cut from the core of trees with the pith in them. Might cause splitting. Also most are treated which is not nice to work at all. I would glue up poplar which turns better than pine and takes a stain well. More expensive than pine, but more likely to give a project that works.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2014, 8:01 PM
I agree with Thom. I'd glue something up from popular which is relatively inexpensive compared to hardwoods in our area. I turned a bit of it when I first started turning and it takes detail well.

Ed Wood
12-23-2014, 8:33 PM
Thanks, good idea and I have worked with popular before built a table out of it years ago.

Pat Scott
12-26-2014, 4:54 PM
I agree that Poplar (not popular) is a good wood to turn. Cuts easy and sands well, just don't get too aggressive with the sandpaper.

I disagree that it takes stain well. It might take stain better than pine, but it still blotches if you don't use some kind of sealer or conditioner.
If you're going to do a glue up, you might consider oak. It's relatively inexpensive, it takes stain very well without using a sealer, and it's more durable for a coat rack. My friend used to have a business making coat racks for Woodleys, and all he used was oak.

Ed Wood
12-26-2014, 6:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but as this is more of a learning experience I think I will go with the poplar which is a popular wood with wood workers :). I will test to see if I need a conditioner, I do find that gel stains work better with wood like this.

charlie knighton
12-27-2014, 7:59 AM
make your first one, then try another one multi-axis

should make an interesting coat rack

Robert Edington
12-27-2014, 8:06 AM
Go look at Lowes. They have nice Douglas Fir 4x4 8' long that are not center cut. Nice pink wood. Less than $10. I think $6. You could make the whole tree out of one 4x4.

RP

charlie knighton
12-27-2014, 8:58 AM
Ed, if you try a multi-axis 2nd hall tree, do not use scrapers or spindle roughing gouge for the multi-axis cuts....best bet 3/8 bowl gouge