PDA

View Full Version : Installing chair rail on a wall with metal studs

Bob Rufener
12-23-2014, 5:32 PM
My wife and I purchased a condo in Florida. Of course, she wants a chair rail in the hallway. The walls are studded with metal studs and I am not sure what would be a good way of putting the chair rail on the walls. A fellow I know used construction adhesive but I am not sure that is the best solution Has anyone ever had any experience doing this and, if so, what method did you use. As usual, thanks for any suggestions.

Tony Joyce
12-23-2014, 5:56 PM
If you use a 2 piece you can screw the backer to the studs and nail the top piece to the backer.

Tony

This type chair.

Roger Nair
12-23-2014, 6:01 PM
If the trim is to be painted then trim screw would be simple and secure, just fill the holes, caulk and paint over. Stain grade work is best applied with nails into backers not ideal for pre-existing metal stud walls. Edit...Good suggestion on a built up trim.

George Bokros
12-23-2014, 6:03 PM
How about trim head screws, then fill the holes like you would nails.

http://www.rockler.com/trim-head-square-drive-screws-select-size

Jerome Stanek
12-23-2014, 6:29 PM
I've installed miles of chair rail on metal stud walls I use trim head screws and fill holes with appropriate filler.

Bob Rufener
12-23-2014, 11:56 PM
I will be painting the rail. The trim head screws is a good suggestion. I will have a few areas where I may not be able to screw into a stud. The wall "boxes" out about 3 inches in two spots which I will have to go around but I may be able to use construction adhesive to hold the pieces on those spots. Thanks for the suggestions.