View Full Version : Freud Avanti question

Ken Miller
07-20-2005, 8:35 AM
I went to a local lowes and saw this line of saw blades. How are they supposed to be compared to the regular freud blades? They're priced about the same and their descriptions are the same. Any recommendations?

Jim Dannels
07-20-2005, 9:01 AM
Bought the 60 tooth version Friday night.
Have not yet got it mounted on my saw(other projects to finish did not require).
I have some sheet goods to rip up and may try it tonight.
If It works well, I`ll probably get the 80 tooth one as well.
I did notice Freud lists them as the 400 series blades and no mention of" AVANTI" on their site.

Curt Harms
07-20-2005, 11:06 AM
I went to a local lowes and saw this line of saw blades. How are they supposed to be compared to the regular freud blades? They're priced about the same and their descriptions are the same. Any recommendations?

Hi Ken

I have one mounted on a 12" Delta CMS. I was skeptical about a thin kerf 12" blade, but mounted it (kept the packing in case of return) and it seemed to work OK. I partially cut a number of boards, checked the kerf with a dial caliper and it was .11 on all the cuts. I don't know how accuate that measurement is, but it seems to work OK, smooth cuts. Think the blade was $49 at the blue borg.

Curt

Tim Lindgren
07-22-2005, 3:35 PM
I have the 80T on a 12" CMS (Delta TwinLaser). So far so good. I'm used to the Diablo line, and would have purchased another. It seems Diablo is being replaced by the Avanti... at least at Lowes and HD.

Jim Dannels
07-25-2005, 2:52 PM
Mounted the 60 tooth Avanti on my Bt3100 yesterday.
Tried it out on some scrap plywood w/o a zero clearance throat plate(still making those). Ripped nearly perfectly w/o tearout, there was a slight amount of burning, but found that was because I was not feeding quickly enough.
Crosscuts were very nice.
In my opinion this blade is a keeper.
Think I`ll get an 80 tooth soon.

scott spencer
07-25-2005, 6:50 PM
From Freud's famous "Charles M" himself:

"Avanti is a trademark name we are now putting on the TK line that we have offered for many years. The blades and their item numbers are still the same: TK906, TK806, TK203, etc."