PDA

View Full Version : LV Plow Plane... OPINIONS?

Brian Hale
12-23-2014, 10:58 AM
With the free shipping event from Lee Valley, I'm considering spending the last of my Christmas bonus on the small plow plane with all the accessories. For those of you that own one, is it a solid performer? Would you buy it again or is there another brand to look at?

Just trying to step away from the router table, that screaming meanie that resides in the corner of the shop......

Brian :)

Jeff Ranck
12-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Not sure if this is kosher, but Derek Cohen has a review on his website that offers a good look at the plane.

Bill Houghton
12-23-2014, 11:30 AM
I own a Stanley 45, and also bought the LV plow plane when I had some extra money. For plowing, it's faster to set up than the 45 (possibly because I have the fence permanently mounted on the LV, but not on the Stanley). Yes, it's a solid performer. If you're needing a plow plane, you can't go wrong with this tool.

Although Lee Valley has added accessories allowing beading as well, a Stanley 45 will still have more capability; but you need to get an example in good shape in order for it to work well. Many 45s are kind of beat up.

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2014, 12:19 PM
I LOVE mine. Id buy it again for sure.

Consider getting at least a couple additional blade sizes. In addition to the 1/4" that comes with it, Ive found the 1/8" to be useful on small box work.

Just to add to an earlier post, Derek Cohen's website is "In the Workshop".

Enjoy!
Fred

Charles Bjorgen
12-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Although Lee Valley has added accessories allowing beading as well, a Stanley 45 will still have more capability; but you need to get an example in good shape in order for it to work well. Many 45s are kind of beat up.

Bill -- Are you referring to the conversion kit for the LV Plow plane? I tried some beading cutters from a 45 and did not have much luck using the conversion kit and Stanley beading cutters. Have you had success making beads?

Chuck Nickerson
12-23-2014, 12:50 PM
I have and use the LV plow as a plow, but haven't used the additional gee-gaws. It works wonderfully.

It's only drawback for me is that the small metal piece/bracket on the bottom of the handle is not sold separately.
I'd like to have a few to try making a new handle without wrecking the old one.

Jim Koepke
12-23-2014, 1:01 PM
No comment on the LV Plow Plane since one has never been in my hands.

I can say my electric router sits unused since my hand powered plow planes have better than replaced that screaming monster.

In my opinion you would likely be happy once you get to using it.

jtk

Mark AJ Allen
12-23-2014, 1:20 PM
I have and use the LV plow as a plow, but haven't used the additional gee-gaws. It works wonderfully.

It's only drawback for me is that the small metal piece/bracket on the bottom of the handle is not sold separately.
I'd like to have a few to try making a new handle without wrecking the old one.

If you desire to try this, you can call LV customer service and ask for a quote on just the parts you need sold separately. The worst they can say is 'Sorry, we can't do that'.

Kent A Bathurst
12-23-2014, 1:27 PM
Not sure if this is kosher, but Derek Cohen has a review on his website that offers a good look at the plane.

I'll take a wild guess. Derek thinks this LV product is the cat's pajamas, right?

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2014, 1:35 PM
I'll take a wild guess. Derek thinks this LV product is the cat's pajamas, right?

Spot on Kent! Howd you know? ;)

(Aside: Like many of us, I value Derek's advice.)

Bill Houghton
12-23-2014, 1:43 PM
Bill -- Are you referring to the conversion kit for the LV Plow plane? I tried some beading cutters from a 45 and did not have much luck using the conversion kit and Stanley beading cutters. Have you had success making beads?

Only with my Stanley 45. I bought the LV plow long before the conversion kit, and, since I own a 45, see no need to buy the kit (also, I'm not doing the consulting work I was when I bought the plow, and am watching the pennies more closely).

paul cottingham
12-23-2014, 1:52 PM
I have one, and it's a great tool. For what it's worth, I had a right handed one, for a variety of reasons, I sold it, largely cause using it severely worsened the neuropathy in my right hand, a problem, that, as far as I can tell, is "unique" to me.

Before long, I realized what a mistake that was. So I saved my pennies, and bought a left handed one, learned to use it with my off hand, and use it with a pulling motion as well.

I have sold my routers and router bits. And my router table. Which, of course, were murder on my hands.

I am now happy again. Seriously, it's a great tool.

Zach Dillinger
12-23-2014, 1:54 PM
I have thought about purchasing a modern plow, just to give my wooden plows a run for their money, but I've been waiting for the introduction of the LN version... which should be available any day now... hopefully :)

Tony Zaffuto
12-23-2014, 4:45 PM
I have several Stanley 45's, a Record 43 and the LV plow. The LV plow is the easiest to set-up and use for plowing. Now don't take this to mean that it is better than a wooden plow, and I would defer to a comparison of the two types to someone with the handtool experience of Zach!

Derek Cohen
12-23-2014, 7:44 PM
Just to add to an earlier post, Derek Cohen's website is "In the Workshop".

The link is actually www.inthewoodshop.com (http://www.inthewoodshop.com)

There are two reviews involving the Small Plow ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Small%20Plow%20Plane.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/AccessoryBladesfortheVeritasSmallPlow.html (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/AccessoryBladesfortheVeritasSmallPlow.html)

Bearing in mind that I have a wonderful plough plane I built and that works very well, it is high praise that I first reach for the LV.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Zach Dillinger
12-23-2014, 10:07 PM
I have several Stanley 45's, a Record 43 and the LV plow. The LV plow is the easiest to set-up and use for plowing. Now don't take this to mean that it is better than a wooden plow, and I would defer to a comparison of the two types to someone with the handtool experience of Zach!

Bah. I am biased, pigheaded, and stubborn. It would have to be light years better than the woodies tonmakr me admit that something not from the period is actually better than something that is. Candles, vellum, leeches, and blistering to remove St. Anthony's fire for all!

/obvious sarcasm... many of my hand tools are incorrect for the period I work in. Call the Lynch mob if you must, but you can have my LN 9 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Brian Hale
12-24-2014, 6:25 AM
Once again, thanks for your input and experience!

Last night i ordered the left hand package with all the Imperial blades, wide blade adapter and the roll to hold the blades. It took me over an hour to place the order as i kept looking for some $20 or $30 item to add on but managed to control myself.

Frederick Skelly
12-24-2014, 8:31 AM
Once again, thanks for your input and experience!

Last night i ordered the left hand package with all the Imperial blades, wide blade adapter and the roll to hold the blades. It took me over an hour to place the order as i kept looking for some $20 or $30 item to add on but managed to control myself.

Ill bet you like it! After you try it out a bit, drop us a follow-on post and let us know.

Mike Brady
12-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Here is a perhaps more impartial review than some you may find around here: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/smallplow.html Her reviews are quite thorough and entertaining. She was not overly impressed.

I have owned two of these planes from LV. I sold the first one and repurchased another, as the one I really want is not yet available and I needed to make grooves. It's a good tool, but I find it rather small in the hand and the depth stop is inadequate for the purpose, as it does not reliably hold a setting. I sometimes wear stretchy mechanic's gloves when using this type of plane, to prevent hand fatigue. A good add-on fence helps make the LV plow easier to hold and control. It does what it is supposed to, but seems pricey for what you get.

paul cottingham
12-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Oh, and by the way, make the mod that Derek suggests, and slot the screw for the depth stop so you can tighten it with a flat blade screwdriver. Makes tightening much easier. Did the same on my moving fillister. Seriously great tool.

bob blakeborough
12-24-2014, 12:48 PM
. It's a good tool, but I find it rather small in the hand and the depth stop is inadequate for the purpose, as it does not reliably hold a setting. I sometimes wear stretchy mechanic's gloves when using this type of plane, to prevent hand fatigue.

I also get sore hands quite easily myself from repetitive hand work, but now I rarely "grip" mine at all when using it. Rather, I push the handle with my palm/web and do not close my hand completely around the handle and use my opposite hand to square the fence to the piece. I find now I never have a hand fatigue issue using this tool, and the size is not an issue at all to it's performance. The thing always performs flawlessly for me.

Might be worth a try if you haven't given that a go yet...

Chuck Nickerson
12-24-2014, 1:19 PM

Which ones has he like that he should not have?

Where are your tool reviews?