PDA

View Full Version : Least used 'gotta have it' tool?

Rick Potter
12-23-2014, 2:23 AM
For me it turned out to be my Porter Cable Profile Sander. If it's good enough for Norm, I had to have it. I think I have used it twice in over 15 years.

Rich Engelhardt
12-23-2014, 2:38 AM
Biscuit joiner - another Norm induced purchase....

Andrew Kertesz
12-23-2014, 4:47 AM
I've got a couple what is the criteria? I have the Woodpecker's Paolini pocket rule (not even sure where it is), PC profile sander (bought at auction, not the bay).

Kevin Womer
12-23-2014, 7:08 AM
For me it's the buiscuit joiner, and Norm had a lot to do with that purchase too.

John McClanahan
12-23-2014, 7:24 AM
Porter Cable profile sander. Bought it at an auction several years ago and have never used it. Fortunately I didn't pay very much for it.

John

Duane Meadows
12-23-2014, 7:30 AM
Got both of those... biscuit joiner and the profile sander. Do use both occasionally. The profile sander sat for years, nearly forgot I had it!

Charles Lent
12-23-2014, 8:16 AM
Makita 3 X 21" belt sander. I think I've used it twice in 15 or so years.

Charley

allan kuntz
12-23-2014, 8:52 AM
From a tool junky i have a shop full. I really need to post some of it for sale so someone else can store it for a few years
compleate incra router table with wonder fence (still in the box)
liegh dr4 dove tail jig (made 3 smalll drawers)
incra I box (still in the box)
and so on
Al

James Nugnes
12-23-2014, 9:00 AM
Sounds like watching Norm is about the most costly thing one could do around here. That said I always have thought he harps on particular tools episode after episode and then climbs onto another. That whole biscuit joiner thing is a good example. At one point i thought we would see Norm trying to drop a new motor in his truck with ....you guessed it....his biscuit joiner.

Belt sander is a good one though. I keep looking at mine trying to invent ways to use it....not much luck so far.

roger wiegand
12-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I have a Sears "router-crafter" never unpacked. Not exactly gotta have it as it was a gift from my father when I first started woodworking almost 40 years ago. I feel guilty about never finding a use for it so I still carry it with me wherever I go in memory of my Dad's good intentions.

I also have a beautiful big hard black Arkansas stone that probably cost $100 30+ years ago that I used maybe once.

I'm afraid I still use the biscuit joiner a lot. Wore one out and got a new one a couple years ago. Must have missed the memo on their becoming useless.

John TenEyck
12-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Hand held belt sander. Near useless in my hands. I can do more damage in less time with that thing than almost any other tool. But I'm with Bob with regards to my biscuit joiner. I use it on most every sheet goods cabinet and for outside molding corner joints. Norms method for attaching face frames to a plywood carcass using biscuits has to be about the simplest way of doing it that gives perfect registration. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Ed Labadie
12-23-2014, 10:50 AM
While I use my PC biscuit jointer some...It's the Delta benchtop version that I've never used, and should get rid of.

Ed

Jamie Buxton
12-23-2014, 10:57 AM
A Porter-Cable power planer. Attempted to use it perhaps twice in fifteen years, eventually sent it to the landfill.

Scott Brandstetter
12-23-2014, 10:58 AM
I'll add a little twist to this assuming it's okay by the original poster. I too have various tools that hang on the wall or sit on the shelf that I hardly use anymore. These tools for me though, sit because they no longer serve a purpose because I've upgraded or got a better tools for the purpose. I can't throw away because these kind of tools got me into woodworking 30 years ago and at the time, all I could afford. What I do now is when I sell an item (in the process of upgrading my main tools to better quality tools) I list them on craigslist for almost nothing, sometimes $1, and direct the add toward a young, new woodworker. When they come by to pick up the tool, I normally include some of my older tools that they are very excited to get. It makes me feel good to maybe help someone get addicted to the craft and start creating things for their family.

Next think on the list is a power sander, with a 4 x 4 inch pad, can't remember the last time I used it and why in the world I bought it.

Dave Cullen
12-23-2014, 11:03 AM
A set of spokeshaves and a drawknife. HAD to have them 30 years ago when I started woodworking, but haven't found out yet what they're used for. They still hang on pegs in my shop, collecting dust.

Kent A Bathurst
12-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Got both of those... biscuit joiner and the profile sander.

Had both. Sold both.

Norms method for attaching face frames to a plywood carcass using biscuits has to be about the simplest way of doing it that gives perfect registration.

I agree completely. However, this was never going to be a big part of my lexicon. Rebuilt our kitchen 15 years ago. Got that out of my system. Won't be doing another.

James Nugnes
12-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Tools are funny things. The most elegant solutions are the easiest ones to buy into...enter the biscuit joiner. It is not that it is a bad idea at all. The opposite is true. It is that as a few have said here, we all come at woodworking from a a different direction. Some of us would use that biscuit joiner regularly....some hardly ever. some of us veneer band-saw constantly...some hardly ever. But you often end up wanting something because it is so darned good at what it does and you forget, "I hardly ever do any of that"!!!

Kent A Bathurst
12-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Tools are funny things. The most elegant solutions are the easiest ones to buy into...enter the biscuit joiner. It is not that it is a bad idea at all. The opposite is true. It is that as a few have said here, we all come at woodworking from a a different direction. Some of us would use that biscuit joiner regularly....some hardly ever. some of us veneer band-saw constantly...some hardly ever. But you often end up wanting something because it is so darned good at what it does and you forget, "I hardly ever do any of that"!!!

I got the plate joiner for glue-up on panels. But - I realized that with the intentional built-in slop, it did nothing to help alignment. Then, I realized that a well-fitted joint would glue up just as strong without the biscuits as with them. So - after the FF on the kitchen cabinets, I had nothing left for it to do.

Kevin Bourque
12-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Mini screwdriver set.

Pretty worthless unless you need to fix your priceless Rolex watch.

Rick Potter
12-23-2014, 12:09 PM
I completely forgot about another one. Sears used to make a pin router. 30 years ago, my dad and I were in a Sears outlet store, and they were selling them off. We each bought one.

My dad used his for little games he would sell at craft shows. I used it once to make a marble game to give to kids at Christmas, 20 years ago. Dad is gone now, and his pin router is in my shed. It needs a new table, as the PB table got wet. My pin router is still in the unopened box :confused:.

Someday I will figure out what I could use it for.

scott vroom
12-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Rotozip and biscuit joiner....both sit gathering dust in my shop. I build almost exclusively face frame cabinets from sheet goods. I use the Sommerfeld cabinet tongue and groove method to assemble carcasses, attach face frames, and to dado the rear 1/4" panel. Perfect alignment every time without slop.

Mitchell Garnett
12-23-2014, 12:19 PM
I too have the Porter Cable profile sander and the PC biscuit jointer. I've used both to some extent but not like I thought I would. And like some of the other posters, I have too many I haven't used to list here because I'm afraid my wife might read this thread. She already tells people I'm a tool collector, not a woodworker.

Merry Christmas to all.

Jim Andrew
12-23-2014, 12:46 PM
I had a 4 x 24 belt sander, and gave it to a friend, as I don't use it since getting a edge sander and a widebelt. Then it occurred to me, if I build new countertops for the wife, I'll have to get another one. Maybe I can borrow it for a while.

David Ragan
12-23-2014, 12:57 PM
This is an interesting thread. They didn't need to hire Norm to get me to buy the PC biscuit jointer. Did all on my own, and have never used it.

I have a good bit of HF stuff---we all know how that is "maybe i might use this some day...."

Just last weekend, the wife asked me to cut mats for three pictures for her. Was first time using the HobbyLobby mat cutter. So easy compared to most of the ww stuff we do. Piece of cake.

I do have a Delmhorst pin wood moisture meter that I used a couple of times years and years ago. Have the heavy duty slammer attachement-never used that either.

Have a lot of cool looking chisels I got from Woodcraft when they had a buy $100 worth of Pfeil chisels and get $25 gift certificate. Most of them I have not used.

What I have used a lot of is a box of the extra large bandaids......

Kent A Bathurst
12-23-2014, 1:16 PM
I have a good bit of HF stuff---we all know how that is " i might need this someday and maybe it will function...."

I do have a Delmhorst pin wood moisture meter that I used a couple of times years and years ago. Have the heavy duty slammer attachement-never used that either.

Got the same Delmhorst. Only use it 3 - 4 times per year. But looking at the resale-to-new-cost ratio, I am loathe to unload it....would be hard-pressed to make that purchase decision all over again. But still............

What I have used a lot of is a box of the extra large bandaids......

Smart move. My box has the top cut off, so it is direct access without having to open ethe box first, and it is at the front of the top-center drawer in the back bench. Am happy to announce that I have reduced consumption to 1 box every 2 years.

James Nugnes
12-23-2014, 1:17 PM
"She already tells people I'm a tool collector, not a woodworker."

That one hurt....I need a drink now and it is only 1:20PM on the east coast.

Rod Sheridan
12-23-2014, 1:49 PM

Yup, waste of money for me............Rod.

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2014, 1:50 PM
My Kreg jig. It looked like a great idea when he demo'd it at that show 10 years ago.

Ive used it exactly twice.

Rod Sheridan
12-23-2014, 1:52 PM
Rotozip and biscuit joiner....both sit gathering dust in my shop. I build almost exclusively face frame cabinets from sheet goods. I use the Sommerfeld cabinet tongue and groove method to assemble carcasses, attach face frames, and to dado the rear 1/4" panel. Perfect alignment every time without slop.

Interesting Scott, i cut a 4mm groove on the shaper that allows me to stick a few biscuits in for alignment.

Tonge and groove would work as well...........Merry Christmas.

Chris Hachet
12-23-2014, 1:54 PM
Most of my sanding tools gather another kind of dust since I have discovered hand planes and scrapers. My Jigsaw (nice Porter Cable) is pretty much unused, as I have a scroll saw, a band saw, and several hand saws.

Really I have almsot everything I want or need, but the tool junkie in me still keeps buying....

paul cottingham
12-23-2014, 1:58 PM
A set of spokeshaves and a drawknife. HAD to have them 30 years ago when I started woodworking, but haven't found out yet what they're used for. They still hang on pegs in my shop, collecting dust.
Send me to me, dude. I'll see to it they are used plenty. :-)

paul cottingham
12-23-2014, 2:01 PM
I got the plate joiner for glue-up on panels. But - I realized that with the intentional built-in slop, it did nothing to help alignment. Then, I realized that a well-fitted joint would glue up just as strong without the biscuits as with them. So - after the FF on the kitchen cabinets, I had nothing left for it to do.
I keep my biscuit joiner just on the off chance I ever need it to produce a large number of cabinets for my kitchen.i really should sell the damn thing, and borrow one if I need it.

Kevin Bourque
12-23-2014, 2:07 PM
I bought a flannel shirt after I saw Norm wearing one on his show. I have since bought several others.

paul cottingham
12-23-2014, 2:47 PM
I bought a flannel shirt after I saw Norm wearing one on his show. I have since bought several others.
Nicely played indeed.

Bruce Page
12-23-2014, 3:01 PM
Drill Doctor. I sharpened a slew of drill bits when I first got it several years ago and haven't touched it since. I can sharpen by hand in a fraction of the time the DD takes.

Victor Robinson
12-23-2014, 4:47 PM
Rarely use my scroll saw. Thought it would add another dimension to the shop.

Jon Nuckles
12-23-2014, 5:42 PM
I blame Norm for my Delta drill press mortising attachment. Worth more as scrap iron than as a tool. A mistake well worth the hours of enjoyment he provided to me when I was getting started!

Jack Gaskins
12-23-2014, 7:36 PM

+1 on flannel shirt when woodworking! I wear them all freakin year long!

Charlie Velasquez
12-23-2014, 7:50 PM
My fifth and sixth routers, a dw618 and a Milwaukee 5625. Already had one in each power range. I figured I would need a spare, sooner or later. Hasn't come up yet. Gave the Milwaukee to my BIL.

Loren DeShon
12-23-2014, 9:12 PM
For me it's the jointer. Can't make it work/can't figure it out. All I've ever made with it is long, thin trapezoids. Haven't turned it on in probably three years and pretty much hate it.

On the other hand, I use my DW biscuiter all the time and would hate to part with it.

allan kuntz
12-23-2014, 9:26 PM
From a tool junky i have a shop full. I really need to post some of it for sale so someone else can store it for a few years
compleate incra router table with wonder fence (still in the box)
liegh dr4 dove tail jig (made 3 smalll drawers)
incra I box (still in the box)
and so on
Al
I have had a few private messages about some items I have and am afraid that i am from Canada and don't want the hassle of shipping across the boarder
sorry everyone.
Allan

Brad Swanson
12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
I have had a few private messages about some items I have and am afraid that i am from Canada and don't want the hassle of shipping across the boarder
sorry everyone.
Allan
Allan, don't be afraid to be from Canada. :D

Bob Coleman
12-23-2014, 10:29 PM
I'll throw out a couple in a different vein:

First aid kit
Fire extinguisher

Only used a couple of bandaids out of the first and haven't (knock on wood) had to use the second yet.

marty shultz
12-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Profile sander & biscuit jointer. Other tools that came with a package deal that I don't use are a scrolls saw and Lathe.

James Nugnes
12-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Boy would hate to be without a fire extinguisher if the dust collector ever goes up. But then again if there is enough dust in there and it does blow then I probably end up sticking out the top of the chimney on my roof not much wondering about the location of the fire extinguisher. As for first aid, as in band aids and compression stuff really...I am a woodcarver. Tools are and should be unbelievably sharp. I am honing all the time. Anyway, hands are really in close proximity to sharp edges and even being extra careful just the fact that you are pushing on the honed edge with one hand and often holding the workpiece in the other is going to get you into trouble.

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2014, 10:44 PM
What I do now is when I sell an item (in the process of upgrading my main tools to better quality tools) I list them on craigslist for almost nothing, sometimes $1, and direct the add toward a young, new woodworker. When they come by to pick up the tool, I normally include some of my older tools that they are very excited to get. It makes me feel good to maybe help someone get addicted to the craft.

What a great idea. I think Ill do the same, sometime soon.
Fred

Shawn Pixley
12-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Pneumatic finsh nailer.

Shawn Pixley
12-23-2014, 11:27 PM
Send me to me, dude. I'll see to it they are used plenty. :-)
You beat me to that, Dang!

James Baker SD
12-24-2014, 1:56 AM
I'll throw out a couple in a different vein:

First aid kit
Fire extinguisher

Only used a couple of bandaids out of the first and haven't (knock on wood) had to use the second yet.

Wait until you set the cabinet where you store your shellac, lacquer thinner, alcohol etc, on fire. Then suddenly that extinguisher is the most important tool you have.

P.S. I now have special paint cabinets for all the explosively volatile stuff and 3 fire extinguishers scattered around.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-24-2014, 7:29 AM
Unfortunately because of lack of time, my whole woodshop has pretty much been useless for way too long. Hopefully getting that changed though.

Of the unused tools, the tops on my list are the festool tools. I had to have a Domino, and it has been used for exactly nothing in the last couple years. Also have a really nice vacuum, that I wonder why I don't use while I'm using the cheap ridgid.

Peter Quinn
12-24-2014, 8:57 AM
Unfortunately because of lack of time, my whole woodshop has pretty much been useless for way too long. Hopefully getting that changed though.

Of the unused tools, the tops on my list are the festool tools. I had to have a Domino, and it has been used for exactly nothing in the last couple years. Also have a really nice vacuum, that I wonder why I don't use while I'm using the cheap ridgid.

Well....unlike those nasty PC profile sanders, your problem should be an easy one to remedy!

For me it's a scrub plane...lie Nielsen. Watched David Marks, I just had to have a scrub plane....have used it exactly never. Maybe pushed it over a scrap of wood twice? It's beautiful, I built a lovely QSWO box to hold it, sits in a prominent place near my bench on a shelf surround by planes I actually do use. Wonder if it feels special or abandoned? I find it funny reading others lists of "unused items" and thinking man, love to have those. Spoke shaves.....oh, my old flea market Stanley's are not my most used items but they live in my work tool box and earn an MVP role on enough occasions to keep them there despite the weight they add. If you do anything with curves, these things are invaluable, if you don't...they are great as paper weights. Nice thing about surplus hand tools is you can display them, everyone who enter the shop except your wife will find them charming and think you more of a wood worker for owning them. A wife will generally know better and not be fooled, probably remember what they cost and comment on how new and unused they look.....a surplus PC profile sander hung on a wall looks just like what it is...junk.

Bill Ryall
12-24-2014, 9:23 AM
Interesting thread. I use my biscuit joiner all the time.
I can't really think of anything on the "useless" end. Everything has its use or place depending on the job. Probably the least used currently are my dovetail jigs, simply because I haven't been dong much work that calls for dovetails the last few years. However, I'm sure that will change.

Brian Tymchak
12-24-2014, 9:42 AM
Drill Doctor. I sharpened a slew of drill bits when I first got it several years ago and haven't touched it since. I can sharpen by hand in a fraction of the time the DD takes.

Yep I've got one of those sitting in the drawer. It never sees the light of day. I've also got the Jet wet-wheel sharpener with all the fancy jigs sitting on the end of a table. Impulse buy when I saw it on sale. Figured I'd use it all the time. I tried using it when I first got it but had mixed results. I figure it might hit the sell list pretty soon.

Cary Falk
12-24-2014, 9:51 AM
I have a hand plane. It wasn't a must have. It was given to me by my neighbor when he was cleaning out his garage. I don't remember the brand or size. It sits in a drawer. I have never used it in the 5+ years I have had it. Maybe some day I will brush the dust off of it and use it as a hammer or something. Wait a minute, I haven't used a hammer in years since I got the air guns. What to do, what to do.

On another note I use my biscuit joiner all the time.:D

Chris Hachet
12-24-2014, 9:53 AM
I blame Norm for my Delta drill press mortising attachment. Worth more as scrap iron than as a tool. A mistake well worth the hours of enjoyment he provided to me when I was getting started!

I got one of those free and got rid of it. Hollow chisel morticer FTW!

Matt Schroeder
12-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Would anybody be willing to offer up nice but unused items for a FreeStuff drawing here on the Creek? It has been quite a while since we had any activity there. I plan to do a bit of shop cleaning after the holidays to see if I can come up with anything. One man's paperweight is another man's inspiration.

Matt

Mike Cutler
12-24-2014, 12:08 PM
I have a power sander, and
It gets used fairly often.
Got a biscuit jointer too.
Great tool for the correct application.
Sent the Drill Doctor to 'creeker in Isreal. Jobber length twist drills are kind of limited use for wood working anyway.
My tool offer to the thread: MicroFence router edge guide.
Great tool, well made,but I just never use it.

Peter Quinn
12-24-2014, 12:25 PM
I got one of those free and got rid of it. Hollow chisel morticer FTW!

This highly prevalent attitude has always surprised me, makes me wonder if I got the same product? My delta mortising attachment came free with the delta drill press as a promo. Biggest supprise is that they actually sent it to me.....they have developed a reputation for not honoring promos. Second biggest supprise to me is that it works great. My square chisel mortising needs are limited to a few applications, most of my heavy mortises are made on a horizontal slot mortiser. I have had considerable experience on chisel mortisers, floor models mostly, so I have some basis for comparison. That little bolt on thing cuts effortlessly. I have a decent old woodpeckers DP table and usually add a stout fence when using it, my drill bits and chisels have been well honed and lubed, I'm careful about setting it up accurately with the drill just advanced of the chisel. Am I missing something? My suspicion has long been that most of the problem with these things is operator error. You can set up a dedicated hollow chisel mortiser sort of half whack and it will plow through most things with that big long lever effect, but the DP version has to be nailed. It's not much use beyond 3/8", it will do 1/2" at shallow depths, but in its range I have found it perfectly acceptable to the point I would never consider replacing it with a dedicated unit. Yet so many people hate them? I'd love to drive over and see if I could set up somebody else's and make a convert.....not highly practical for sure.

Alan Lightstone
12-24-2014, 12:32 PM
FMT Pro Mortise & Tenon Jig - Expensive, still in box. Keeps reminding me that I need to make something with mortise and tenon joints.

Spokeshaves. Never been used. Someday, sigh.

Festool Rotex 150 FEQ Sander - Too much of a beast for me. Need to sell that sucker. Used it once, I think. The funny thing is I use the ETS 150/3 constantly, but it's big brother is just not for me.

Bruce Page
12-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Festool Rotex 150 FEQ Sander - Too much of a beast for me. Need to sell that sucker. Used it once, I think. The funny thing is I use the ETS 150/3 constantly, but it's big brother is just not for me.

I almost bought one but feared the same thing. I never could use a belt sander very well either.
Love my ETS 150/3 tho..

Mike Henderson
12-24-2014, 12:49 PM
My tool offer to the thread: MicroFence router edge guide.
Great tool, well made,but I just never use it.
I understand why you say that. I have the MicroFence circle guide, and while I don't use it very often, when I need it, it's a great tool for the job. I don't regret buying it, especially when I'm making something like a round table (which isn't that often).

Mike

Phil Barrett
12-24-2014, 1:24 PM
A Porter-Cable power planer. Attempted to use it perhaps twice in fifteen years, eventually sent it to the landfill.

It's funny, I looked at those in the same way but my brother who does a lot of trim carpentry in old home remodels uses his to get a super clear fit to baseboards on old uneven floors. I watch him do it once and was amazed how quick it went. He puts the baseboard in place, scribes a line on it by running a pencil on the floor and then uses the planer to trim to the line.

Jim Becker
12-24-2014, 3:19 PM
I have to vote for the biscuit joiner, too...although I'm glad I own it. It does get use every once in a blue moon, but primarily for home improvement tasks, not cabinetry and furniture. The last time was when I was installing new wide pine flooring in a first floor room in the 250 year old portion of our home about a year and a half ago...the material I sourced was not T&G, so I used biscuits to keep things together and flat during the installation. The last time prior to that was in about 2008 to use a few biscuits at the top to help align/hold up some face frames on built-in cabinetry in our then brand new home addition. That installation was glue and 23 gage pins, but those few biscuits helped a lot managing the process.

Someone also mentioned the MicroFence router guide setup. I have one of those, too. Not much use, but very much a precision product that does it's job when you ask it to.

Mike Cutler
12-24-2014, 3:21 PM
I understand why you say that. I have the MicroFence circle guide, and while I don't use it very often, when I need it, it's a great tool for the job. I don't regret buying it, especially when I'm making something like a round table (which isn't that often).

Mike

Mike

I won't get rid of it either. It is a very well thought out and designed router accessory. It's certainly not costing me any $$$$ sitting inthe drawer.
I need to get, or make, router adapters for it to fit my Festool routers. Then again, I just bought a shaper from Todd Davidson so the routers may see a lot less use.

David Ragan
12-24-2014, 4:14 PM
Add to my list, a really nice heavy duty 50lb variable miter trimmer. Had to have it. Never used it.

Beefy deluxe veneer tape dispenser-the kind that automatically moistens the tape. Never used it.

Jasper circle guide-I think you attach your favorite router and go to it.. Never used it.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

paul cottingham
12-24-2014, 5:05 PM
I have always wanted a mitre trimmer. Why don't you use it?

Mike Hollingsworth
12-24-2014, 5:33 PM
I've noticed no Festool here.
I was able to return their profile sander because of there 90 day no question return.

Michael Koenig
12-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Craftsman router sign maker used it once.

fred everett
12-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Porter Cable hand held belt sander.....used it 3 times in 10 years and I screwed up everything I touched with it.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-24-2014, 10:44 PM
I've noticed no Festool here.
I was able to return their profile sander because of there 90 day no question return.

Not so fast, I was whining about mine here yesterday...

mreza Salav
12-25-2014, 12:21 AM
biscuit joiner, gave it away to a friend.
Over the past year I have bought lots (and lots) of tools for all the one-off projects I have had to do (of course for the house I'm building), from hand-held belt sander, hand-held planer, festool domino, leight dovetail jig, etc etc. Many of them I use only for one specific project and will likely sell after that. Others (like Domino) are so joy to use.
Other things that I rarely use and might sell at some point: Veritas jointer plane.

David Ragan
12-25-2014, 5:28 AM

At the time I was doing a lot of those little trim squares under the chair railing upstairs. When we finished that, it what.....finished.

Mike Null
12-25-2014, 7:34 AM
Norm made me buy a biscuit joiner, then I got a PC brad nailer and the portable belt sander (don't ask how much stuff I've ruined with that).

James Nugnes
12-25-2014, 7:45 AM
You're not alone Mike. The darned thing even looks like a big fat rat ripping through your workpieces with a ravenous appetite. One of the few tools I have that can screw up a workpiece completely in one pass.
SOP with mine....Turn on tool......Turn off tool.....throw out workpiece.

Mike Olson
12-25-2014, 8:36 AM
for me it's the Lathe. bought it from craigslist because EVERYBODY seemed to have fun with one. It takes up way too much space in my little shop so I have to keep it in the shed where it never comes out to play anymore.

Ira Matheny
12-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Omni Dove tail jig. Tried once, never used again.

Scott Stafford
12-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Happy Holidays to all!

But let's take it easy on the Porter Cable profile sanders...

I love mine. But I think many of you may be using it wrong.

In order to use it properly, you open the case, take out all the little rubber profile pieces and whatever sandpaper comes with the kit. Then you close the case and throw it in the garbage with the power tool enclosed.

I've used the heck out of that assortment of little profiles when hand sanding edges and small inside corners. I keep them in a little paint can.

Scott in Montana

Dick Brown
12-25-2014, 11:51 AM
I am like most of the responders to this thread. My shop should be very clean as I have lots of dust collectors. I need to remember in the early 1930's my dad built a nice house, two bedroom down and us "Boys room" upstairs, cement basement, large covered porch, all cabinets, trim, etc. with very little $$ as it was right at the end of the great depression. Oh, did I mention that we didn't get electricity till the early forties? Do I really need that new "can't do it without" tool?

Dick

Scott Ticknor
12-31-2014, 2:22 PM
Scroll saw without a doubt. Just not my thing.

glenn bradley
12-31-2014, 3:20 PM

+1, sold it years ago after using it on one project. My CMS also saw more use during LOML's remodel than it ever saw in my shop. It lives in the shed and comes out about once every 2 years.

Brian Henderson
12-31-2014, 5:34 PM
Scroll saw without a doubt. Just not my thing.

I'm exactly the opposite. I had my dad's old scroll saw sitting in my shop for years, I never even turned it on, it didn't even have a blade in it. Then I decided to give it a shot one day, put a good blade into it and have been hooked ever since.

Mark Woodmark
12-31-2014, 6:00 PM
I got the plate joiner for glue-up on panels. But - I realized that with the intentional built-in slop, it did nothing to help alignment. Then, I realized that a well-fitted joint would glue up just as strong without the biscuits as with them. So - after the FF on the kitchen cabinets, I had nothing left for it to do..

I spoke of the same biscuit problem in a post quite a while back and was informed that the slop was caused by the cheap biscuits I was using and that if I purchased biscuits from Lamello I would not have this problem. I did that and it made no difference in the fit. I also spoke of a well-fitting joints strength and was "corrected" on that too. I now wonder if some of people who were pro biscuits before are some of the ones who are complaining about their biscuit jointers now. If you can do the research you may find what I did. It appears a well-fitting, properly machined joint (edge gluing) only suffers from the interruption of biscuits

Mark Woodmark
12-31-2014, 6:12 PM
Not so fast, I was whining about mine here yesterday...

I cant believe it, someone complaining about a Fusstool

Mark Woodmark
12-31-2014, 6:19 PM
I got new a PM shaper dirt cheap about 10 years ago. Bought some cutters for it and a spindle. I have used the thing about 3 or 4 times. The thing scares the he** out of me to use. I recently bought a power feeder for it and a coping sled. Haven't used either with it yet. Guess I am still scared of it. I do have a router bit spindle for it, guess I should set it up as a router table since I don't have one. I do all my routing hand held and mostly with home made templates

Bruce Whitaker
12-31-2014, 6:58 PM
I have used my miter trimmer for 30 years. I like it better than a miter saw. Just finished restoring a Lyon Miter Trimmer for the BIL's Christmas present ( we exchange "used" tool Christmas gifts). Try using a miter saw on a job with no electricity!

Art Mann
12-31-2014, 7:03 PM
I bought a nice tabletop model Steel City mortiser several years ago. I used it on one project which was a Morris chair with through tenons. It worked well but I never found another use for it and sold it to another SMC member that lives in my town. I hope he made good use of it. I now use a precision doweling jig for the same kind of applications and am considering a Domino when the need arises.

Gary Holcombe
01-03-2015, 7:32 PM
Scroll saw most definitely, followed by Akeda Dovetail Jig, handheld belt sander and bench top mortiser.....

Mike Schuch
01-04-2015, 6:14 AM
Never use - Profile sander and Scroll saw.

Unlike many others I use my Porter Cable 4 x 24 belt sander quite a bit. Mostly for home improvement projects but occasionally for wood working.

The tool that I "had to have" was a horizontal boring machine. I used one in a cabinet making class once and then spent 10 years looking for an affordable one to acquire. I found a Davis and Wells horizontal boring machine with a messed up spindle... the spindle would flop around... for $100. I took it completely apart. The spindle guide bearings had cracked... obviously the machine had been dropped. $25 each for the spindle guide bearings and it needed 8! After a lot of checking around I found that the exact same size bearings are used in skate board wheels and picked up an entire set of 8 for $20. The only difference in the skate board wheel bearings is that they were much tighter tolerances. Those skate board guys don't mess around when it comes to there wheels... and they buy a whole lot of them making them a commodity item.

All of my panel glue ups are well aligned, perfectly flat and pretty quick to prepare. A horizontal boring machine is what a biscuit joiner wants to be when it grows up!

Steve Rozmiarek
01-04-2015, 9:59 AM
I cant believe it, someone complaining about a Fusstool

LOL, well I'm also one of those Lamello biscuit advocates, so...

Obviously we all work differently, and some of the never use tools listed will be used a lot by others. I do use my biscuit cutter fairly often, it's not really a joinery tool for me though, rather a line up aid. A few well placed biscuits can make a huge difference on large glueups. I'm sure the Festool stuff I remarked about would be more used if I did different projects.

Brian Holcombe
01-04-2015, 4:22 PM
Dowelmax. I use it occasionally for a perfect 90 3/8 hole, but otherwise it is not useful to me.

Lee Reep
01-04-2015, 5:14 PM
Rarely use my scroll saw. Thought it would add another dimension to the shop.

Dittis on that. Made a few Christmas ornaments, and then realized I had neither the patience, or the interest, in making little frilly things that required a TON of intricate cuts. :o

Like so may others, I hardly ever use my biscuit joiner, but found a really good use for one. I built a large version of Festool's MFT workbench that has a CNC machined MDF top. I needed to fasten the top to the frame, but did not want any screws anchoring it from the top, down into the frame. I bought some "Z-clips" that ride in a groove on the workbench frame and screw into the underside of the top. The biscuit joiner was perfect for making those slots. (Thankfully it is a Harbor Freight model, so I paid next to nothing for it ...)

For all of you lamenting the fact that you dropped two bills or so on a Porter Cable biscuit joiner, check out the Lamello models at just shy of $600 ...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lamello-7-5-Amp-Classic-X-Biscuit-Joiner-101600/203945246?cm_mmc=shopping-_-bingpa-_-25-_-203945246&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=203945246

Josh Morgan
01-04-2015, 6:56 PM
I have a biscuit jointer that I only purchased because it was barely used and cheap. Haven't used it yet.
Who is Norm?

Jim Becker
01-04-2015, 7:57 PM
Who is Norm?

Norm Abram of This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop fame.

Brian Henderson
01-04-2015, 8:47 PM
Norm Abram of This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop fame.

Retired from both, of course. I was thinking a couple of days ago how much I miss New Yankee Workshop, there doesn't seem to be any more real woodworking shows on TV anymore.

Jon Nuckles
01-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Norm still shows up on TOH pretty frequently. He is such a legend that I assume Josh was just joshing with his question.

Bill Leonard
01-05-2015, 12:27 AM
One vote for scroll saw. Purchased it at least 10 years ago and I would be hard pressed to find the on/off switch since I don't remember EVER turning it on.
Another vote for biscuit joiner. Used it more than scroll saw, BUT NOT MUCH.

James Nugnes
01-05-2015, 2:03 AM
That was my favorite as well. I liked that much more than "This Old House".

Josh Morgan
01-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Norm still shows up on TOH pretty frequently. He is such a legend that I assume Josh was just joshing with his question.
Wasn't Joshing. I've never had cable or satellite tv as I just don't watch much of it. I do occasionally catch TOH on a local broadcast.

Jon Nuckles
01-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the assumption and the poor pun, Josh. Norm's "New Yankee Workshop" was carried on most PBS stations, but has been off the air for a while now. Age may also be a factor in how familiar one is with the show.

Josh Morgan
01-05-2015, 3:17 PM
Sorry for the assumption and the poor pun, Josh. Norm's "New Yankee Workshop" was carried on most PBS stations, but has been off the air for a while now. Age may also be a factor in how familiar one is with the show.
No reason to apologize, I Josh around all the time.
I have heard of it before. I'm 33.

Pat Turner
01-05-2015, 5:39 PM
I've got a few tools that are rarely used. but awesome when needed.
Belt Sander
Handheld planer (fitting doors and the ocasional piece of molding)
"Drill press" guide for portable drill
Jigsaw

Unused is a 3/8" corded dril- a nice one, I gave away, along with a cheaper one.
All but unused are Visegrip pistol grip clamps- while I've got over 30 regular visegrip clamps, and Bessy and Jorg bar clamps.

My most used tool has to be my 7/32 stapler- Just drove my 30,000+ staple this weekend (opened replacement box number 11). I do a lot of construction using laminated plywood- I glue, clamp like a vice, staple, and move the clamps. The band saw is my "I never realized how much I would use it" tool- And thats with almost never cutting curves (what I assumed I bought it for) or doing resawing.

Festool track saw is used with one exception only for cuttign up sheet goods, but it's done it for 300+ sheets.

Keith Pleas
01-05-2015, 6:37 PM
Two weeks ago I would have agreed on the scroll saw. I had a Shopsmith scroll saw that came with a complete set, but on its own base. For several years it was a handy table (with a small blade in the center!), so I moved it on. But I just bought another one over the holidays - $30 Delta from a guy who bought a new Dewalt and now I'm pumped. I thought I needed it for creating some teak surrounds for some light fixtures, but when I started reading the scrolling forums I got VERY excited about building some puzzles for my 3yo grandson. He now plays with MY 50+ year old toys (wood and metal, very little plastic!) and loves them, so it seems like something I would really enjoy (and the 2nd grandchild is due in July).

I too have the PC biscuit joiner, which I got for building some cabinets on my boat. But (as others have noted) there's a lot of slop in there, and getting and keeping things clamped just so was a PITA. So I went with a Kreg system, and that worked out awesome for my application - plus I can take the stateroom cabinets apart for modification later without destruction.

But now I'm working on some teak shutters for our masterbath remodel and the Kreg just isn't going to work aesthetically. Plus I read the FW article on joint strengths and decided to go with half-lap joints (also an excuse to buy box and dado sets for my table saw!).

And I have an old Craftsman belt sander sitting in the cabinet. Haven't used it in...15 years? The irony is, I'm looking at a (fixed) belt grinder to use before sharpening with my Tormek. I wonder if there's a way to build a tool to hold that belt sander...

Brian Henderson
01-05-2015, 8:18 PM
That was my favorite as well. I liked that much more than "This Old House".

My problem with TOH, and honestly I haven't watched it for years, is that it's always taking old houses and "upgrading" them with the newest high tech gadgets. It's not an old house after they're done with it. "This No-Longer-Old House!"

Dave Zellers
01-05-2015, 8:53 PM
My least used 'gotta have tool' would be my hammer ever since I acquired 10-12 nail guns / staplers / screw guns over the years.

Of course I've also moved from house carpentry to cabinetry, but having spent entire days doing nothing but nailing off sheathing when I was new, I don't miss that thing one bit.

Bill Space
01-05-2015, 10:18 PM
Ha, ha...or maybe not...

I think it it must be the wife! :eek:

Dave Zellers
01-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Ha, ha...or maybe not...

I think it it must be the wife! :eek:

OMG! Are we allowed to say that? Too funny.

Even tho I think that's insanely funny, I'd be pretty worthless without her.

Some say I'm worthless either way.

bernie clites
01-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Drill Doctor, Rotozip and scroll saw. Some how I ended up with 2 Rotozip's. I'm sure someone I know slipped theirs in with mine because they didn't use it either :-

Mike Schuch
01-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Retired from both, of course. I was thinking a couple of days ago how much I miss New Yankee Workshop, there doesn't seem to be any more real woodworking shows on TV anymore.

I have been watching a lot of New Yankee Workshop lately and love them as much as I did when they originally aired!

In the first season Norm only had a Craftsman radial arm saw, a contractor table saw and a Shopsmith. I was shocked when I saw the Shopsmith! I am enjoying going through the seasons and watching Norms tools advance as well as Norms skills mature. (Man he loved his brads in the early shows! In the first season he actually used a HAMMER to nail in his brads!) Great show!

Dave Zellers
01-07-2015, 11:13 PM
I am enjoying going through the seasons and watching Norms tools advance as well as Norms skills mature.
To put a sharper edge on it, Norm's tools advanced as his ratings advanced.

Joe Cowan
01-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Without sharpening patience or skills, I guess the LN smoothing plane.