PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Legend 32 any secrets?

Chris Corwin
12-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Hi!

I just purchased an old epilog legend 32 engraver. I got a really good deal on it but the synrad laser needs regassing and the lcd screen has a few lines not working. I replaced the synrad with a 40w glass tube and power supply. The laser fires and I can both cut and engrave. What I am looking for are tips tricks and secrets for this laser.

Thanks!

Chris Corwin
12-23-2014, 3:31 PM
Here are some pictures of the engraver.

Joe Pelonio
12-23-2014, 9:58 PM
I have a Legend 24tt, and have used a 32 that belongs to a colleague but his is 100 watts and dual head. It's probably about the same vintage, since he bought it used about 2005. I know he had to replace the rails, they do wear faster with that 32" travel, so be sure to keep it well lubricated.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
12-26-2014, 3:15 AM
Hi,

Glass tube, pls throw some detail of replacing with Epilog tube

regards

Chris Corwin
12-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi, Glass tube, pls throw some detail of replacing with Epilog tube regards

Huh? I don't understand what your asking.

Bill George
12-27-2014, 10:18 AM
I think he is asking the details on how you installed the glass tube in place of the synrad metal tube.

Chris Corwin
12-27-2014, 10:31 AM
I think he is asking the details on how you installed the glass tube in place of the synrad metal tube.

That was easy. All you have to do is make a mount for the tube that hooks into the bracket for the synrad. Hook up the water, install the new tube power supply and modify the signal cable to connect to the ttl low terminal on the supply.

I'll take some Picts later.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
01-02-2015, 4:28 AM
Still very curious to install a glass tube for my epilog 50w legend

Pls update with the photos

Regards

Chris Corwin
01-02-2015, 5:32 PM
Still very curious to install a glass tube for my epilog 50w legend Pls update with the photos Regards

Here they are! This is only temporary until I can get the rf laser regassed.

Richard Rumancik
01-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Chris, I could be wrong, but you are the first person I can recall that has successfully installed a glass tube in place of a sealed RF tube. I think a lot of people would be interested in this. Does the tube behave the same as the old tube in both raster and vector modes? What do you see as the downside to continuing to use the glass tube rather than regassing the sealed tube?

Chris Corwin
01-03-2015, 8:27 PM
The glass tube fires when the laser tells it to fire because the laser power supply accepts TTL signals from the epilog controller. There are small differences to running a glass tube on an engraver designed for rf lasers. The glass tubes are not as "quick" to fire and might have lower power for their labeled output. The glass tube I'm using is over 2 years old and might be on its way out so its hard to tell if it's my tube or the controller or both. I know the 25w universal we use in school has cleaner cuts and might be as powerful as the 40w glass tube I'm using.

In the long run, I want the 35w synrad tube refilled to bring the full potential of this epilog back.

Martin Boekers
01-05-2015, 5:25 PM
I have an old Radius 25watt with a Synrad tube (1998) still works fine. I did get a quote to have it remanufactured just in case. It was about $1500.

Congrats on getting a glass tube to run! You are the first I heard on that...may save a lot of lasers from the junkyard!