PDA

View Full Version : Lubing the Unisaw

Stuart Welsh
12-22-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm about to put a used Unisaw that has been stored for a couple of years back to work. There is a lot of squeaking and moaning as I raise and tilt the blade. Obviously the old work horse needs some lube and I'm looking for some advice:

What parts do I need to ensure get lubrication?

What is the best lube to use?

Thanks,

Stuart

Bill Orbine
12-22-2014, 11:38 PM
WD-40. I like it!

Kevin Womer
12-23-2014, 7:16 AM
Lowes sells a dry film lubricant I like a lot for about 5 bucks, others will say paste wax. Either of these that you use will not stick to saw dust. Lube the trunnions, the tilt mechanism, the blade height mechanism until you don't hear any noises.
Kevin

Matt Day
12-23-2014, 7:19 AM
I'm interested too. I've been using some Liquid Wrench white lithium grease and it's worked well.

Charles Lent
12-23-2014, 8:25 AM
Clean the old oil and sawdust out of the moving parts under the table and apply Johnson's Paste Wax with a tooth brush to these moving surfaces, especially the curved ways. The paste wax will develop a hardened surface crust that will not attract or hold sawdust, yet it will continue to lubricate for years. Small amounts of Teflon based lubricant can be applied to rubbing parts of shaft collars, etc. where you can't get the paste wax applied. WD-40 is handy for washing off the old sawdust and lubricants, but it doesn't do much for long term lubrication.

Charley

Jamie Buxton
12-23-2014, 10:53 AM
You can reach the lift and tilt gears from the top of the saw. Take out the blade insert and the blade. Then remove the U-shaped sheet-metal shield which tries to keep sawdust off those gears. Lube, then replace all the removed parts.

Steve Baumgartner
12-23-2014, 4:34 PM
WD-40. I like it!
I wouldn't use it there. IMHO WD-40 is fine for loosening stuck things and for its original purpose of drying wires, but doesn't hold up well as a general lubricant. I'd use some teflon or moly grease, but the drying kind that won't attract and hold sawdust.

Bill Orbine
12-23-2014, 9:59 PM
I wouldn't use it there. IMHO WD-40 is fine for loosening stuck things and for its original purpose of drying wires, but doesn't hold up well as a general lubricant. I'd use some teflon or moly grease, but the drying kind that won't attract and hold sawdust.

Sorry you feel that way........... I'm stuck in my ways and the WD-40 works perfect. Do whatever you want!

bill tindall
12-23-2014, 10:03 PM
I took a class with a Delta service technician years ago and he used past wax to lub the sliding parts. I have used same for 40 years and find the result is satisfactory and it lasts many months.

Dave Cav
12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
First, take the top off. It's only four bolts, you'll have a chance to inspect the internals, and when you put it back on you can make sure the miter slots are parallel to the blade.

Ok, now blow/vacuum/clean out the guts. I would apply a little of your favorite penetrating oil to the rotating shafts, and wipe off the excess. Then use some sort of wax, as others mentioned, on the trunnions and gears. Paste wax will work; I use paraffin. I agree there are lots of things better than WD40 but if that's what you have, it'll work; Corrosion-X is my favorite for a penetrating lube.