PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Jointer - After BKF

Joe Hollis
12-22-2014, 8:40 PM
Hello and Happy Holidays to All.

Here's a photo of my little Ridgid jointer after I took the good advice offered to me on this forum and bought some Barkeeper's Friend. Some elbow grease with BKF, then a rubbing with a Scotch-Brite pad, then a coat or two of paste wax and the tables and fence look great. I can't believe the difference that the BKF made to the tables.

Now I'm going to attempt to align the tables and reset the knives, and try to get the little machine humming away.

Thanks again to all for your assistance!

Regards, Joe.

Lee Reep
12-22-2014, 11:47 PM
I've got that same jointer. It has been a great tool. I bought mine new. The Craftsman model was almost identical (made by same company), but the Ridgid was on sale at the time. My only regrets (at times) is wishing for a larger jointer. But for 90% of my projects it does the job.

I also think the the factory knives are pretty decent. I've got a significant investment in carbide saw blades, but my lathe chisels are HSS, and I'm pretty happy with HSS knives in the jointer and my planer.

Good to know about BKF. Mine has one little spot on it that I'd like to remove. Doesn't affect usability but it would be nice to eliminate the blemish.