PDA

View Full Version : Wagner hvlp conversion gun leaking from cup?

Chris Rich
12-22-2014, 7:55 PM
So, I've been using my Wagner HVLP conversion gun to paint some cabinets. Over time, it seems to want to leak paint from the seal on the cup. It seems to be getting worse and worse. I've tried a couple seals and also some new check valves. I try to keep everything as clean as possible and also used from pool lube (which now I think I shouldn't be using since it's silicone based). I also haven't tried redoing all the packing yet because the manual says it's not something I should need to do very often. I've only used the thing 5 times. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice.. Chris

Lonnie Gallaher
12-23-2014, 1:04 PM
Are you sure there are no nicks in the sealing surface of the cup, or built up paint. The cup should not leak no matter what pressure is applied to the gun, within reason.

Jim Becker
12-24-2014, 3:09 PM
The only time mine has ever exhibited a leak like that was when I wasn't careful enough when putting the cup on the gun. If you've changed the seal and checked for any visible defects...and it's still leaking...I suggest you go back to your vendor and see about a replacement. I've been using this gun for many years now...and only changed the seal once.

Now...the pool lube. If it's silicone based, you have a real contamination situation possibility here...and it's not going to be fun to rectify.

Chris Rich
01-02-2015, 3:27 PM
Sorry..been on vacation...

Thanks to you both. I did check and don't see any visible defects. I ordered a couple of leather seals to try them out but haven't had a chance yet. As for the lube, I believe it is silicone-based :-( I haven't globbed it on so I hope I haven't done too much damage. I'll throw away the other two seals and try the new ones...

Jim Becker
01-02-2015, 8:46 PM
Try to clean anything and everything that that lube might have come in contact with even incidentally with lots and lots of solvent. If you don't eradicate that silicone, you're not going to be a happy camper with your finishing... ;)

Good move on trying new seals. I'm about to change the one on my 1 qt unit myself as it's getting a little long in the tooth at this point.