PDA

View Full Version : Converting old iron

John C Bush
12-22-2014, 12:23 PM
Happy Holidays,
I have an early 50's Walker Turner shaper with a blown motor and a replacemt motor is not reasonable $$$wise. I don't have a boat to use it as an anchor and prefer not to scrap it--so-- any thoughts on converting to a router table. It has a big CI table with all the fence fixin's and I have a machinist friend with a Bridgeport who could mill it to accept a router mounting plate(maybe). I didn't use the shaper much and was preparing to sell it and get a router table anyway when the motor went out. Good timing!! I could part it out so all wouldn't be wasted but if convertable, it would make a very solid RT with a great fence system.

Another thought-- anyone have info on shaper replacement motors. This one was 1hp--could upgrade to 1.5(?)
-- anyone interested a classic WT spndle shaper.

Go Seahawks!!

Don Jarvie
12-22-2014, 12:33 PM
If your not a member at OWWM then join and post a WTB for a motor. You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap compared to the bay.

Bob Falk
12-22-2014, 1:47 PM
John,
I have been looking for an old shaper (Walker Turner, Boice Crane, etc) for the same purpose....I was thinking of having the top machined to accept my Jessem router insert. If you decide to get rid of the shaper. let's talk. I have a friend in Olympia who regularly ships semi loads of wood product to Wisconsin....perhaps I could get him to add to the load. Cheers, bob

John C Bush
12-22-2014, 3:01 PM
Hi Bob,
Sounds interesting. I was considering an RT anyway. Never had one and was a bit spooked by the shaper. I can part out some of the more "collectible" parts with a pro refurbisher but the table and base would be of scrap value only without the fence IIHO. I will get an idea from my machining friend to see if milling is feasible. It's a WT S1140 Spindle Shaper. Thanks, John.

Thomas Hotchkin
12-22-2014, 3:24 PM
John
If you do not fine a replacement motor, I did this, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?192909-Have-you-seen-my-no-sag-router-table-top!&highlight=

John C Bush
12-22-2014, 3:48 PM
Hi Tom,
Are there any Seahawks fans in Battleground, Lots here in Edmonds!!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've not used a RT before and am wondering how you adjust bit height with such a small access. I had planned to use the shaper cabinet as well and it is fully enclosed so no side access below table. Also, the existing fence system is integral to the top and should work as well as a new spendy one. I don't have a big router(yet) so any suggestions on mounting plate styles and routers would be helpful. Thanks, John

Mark Wooden
12-22-2014, 6:53 PM
Before you chop it up, you should definitely list it over at OWWM. There are a lot of folks that would be interested in the machine or would steer you to a motor- up to three horse.

The S1140 is a really great shaper and a little rare as they weren't made for very many years like the Delta's and Powermatics. I own one and use it a lot.

Too bad you live on the other side of the country, I have a shaper top from a Delta (millions sold)with fence (that I'll eventually turn into a router table) that I'd be happy to trade for your machine.

Mike Schuch
12-30-2014, 3:59 AM
There are a couple models of Walker Turner shapers. There is a belt drive version that you might be able to find a motor you can adapt to it. There are also gear drive versions that are pretty much impossible to replace the motor on.

My Walker Turner shaper is the gear drive shaper. I picked it up for $50 because the owner thought the motor was dead. I figured for $50 I could make a router table out of it... but I bought it home, plugged it into my phase converter and it fired right up. I have been using it ever since and it has done an excellent job for me. I don't think the previous owner knew it had a 3 phase motor. It has been a great little shaper for me!

John C Bush
12-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi Mke,
This is a belt drive model. It has all the goodies with it--3 spindles, full fence fixin's, overhead guard, motor cover, some cutters, spindle is solid, lift systrem works well-- minus the hold downs and belt guard so it would be good for someone that likes good old iron. I do hobby stuff and have no experience using a shaper. I've been looking for a router table on CL but they don't pop up often. My biggest motivation is to regain some functional work space in the shop and I would rather find a good home for the machine than part it out. Any idea on cost of a replacement motor?? The motor shop gave an estimate that was many times more than what I paid for the machine . Thanks and Happy New year. John.

David Kumm
12-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Take the motor out and see if it is a standard frame. If not, find out the cost to have it rewound. There should be plenty of motor guys in your area. I generally prefer an old rewind to a new, Dave

Mike Schuch
01-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I had a Delta radial arm saw motor die and rewinding the motor was more expensive that the machine was worth.

I would also recommend taking the motor out and see if you can find a replacement. Without looking at the motor I would not be able to venture a guess.

I haven't used my router table since I got my shaper. I love the weight, stability and adjust-ability of a shaper! I have been quite happy with the shaper cutters I have purchased from Grizzley for my hobby woodworking.

As mentioned previously www.owwm.org is the best place to find information on old iron. They might even have a manual or parts list for your shaper in their documents section.

Mike Schuch
01-08-2015, 5:30 AM
If this is what your shaper looks like a replacement motor should be pretty easy to find and inexpensive. It looks like a standard base mount. You could probably pick up a motor that would work from Harborfreight for $100.

Jim Wheeler
01-08-2015, 7:19 AM
Is it certain that the motor is fried? Except for burned up windings most anything else on an ordinary induction motor can usually be repaired pretty easily.

John C Bush
01-08-2015, 9:46 AM
Must be a short in the windings. Took it to a reputable, big time motor shop. (They were working on a motor that was 3 ft in dia. Fascinating stuff to see.) They disassembled the motor to check the windings and said it would be too costly to rewind. I can get a rebuilt original motor for ~$400 and end up with a nice shaper but I don't know if I would evolve into a shaper user to make it worth it. Some folks spend that much on a Big Bertha Calloway driver so in perspective it may be a reasonable expense for a hobby. At least I won't throw the shaper into the trees if I make a bad "shot" on an expensive piece of stock!!

Mike Cutler
01-08-2015, 10:05 AM
John

If you're willing to use a router in a table, no reason to believe that you wouldn't evolve into a "shaper user".
The only thing unique about that motor is it's age. That is a standard mount motor configuration, still widely used to today. The motor mounting configuration is part of the motor part number. A newer motor, used, with the same mount could easily be substituted.

I work on motors that are 7' in diameter, 12' tall and weigh 22 tons. they have their own built in cooling systems, with heat exchanger and hydraulic systems to lift the motor to get it spinning.Motors are cool

John C Bush
01-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Hi Mike,
That motor might work for the shaper. May need to add on tho the shop! What is a motor that size used for?? how much hp and what type of power supply is needed to run it??

How important is the reverseing capability of a shaper? Seems you need a double set of cutters to run in reverse. .

Mike Cutler
01-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Those particular motors are the motors connected to Reactor Coolant Pumps, about 10,000 hp, and powered by 6.9 KV.
City water pumps can be even bigger. Biggest I've personally seen was 15,000 Hp.

I'm no shaper expert by any stretch, but the ability to reverse the motor direction seems pretty important.( pattern work,grain orientation.) Then again,many people use a router table for "light" shaper work, so I guess it would depend on the individual.

Did the guys at the motor shop actually tell you the windings were open,or just that it would be cost prohibitive to have the motor redone? That motor is a nice motor.