PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Ideas on what to use on interior garage walls to weatherproof

Gary Thinglum
12-22-2014, 8:35 AM
My son is building a garage and would like to be able to wash his car in the garage. It will be heated but, we would like to get some ideas on what different products people use on the garage walls to weatherproof them and pro's and con's of using it. We would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Gary, and Scott.

Jason Roehl
12-22-2014, 8:54 AM
If the garage has good drainage, is heated (and dehumidified), even drywall with semi-gloss paint would probably give good overall performance, provided this is not an every day endeavor. However, I would probably use OSB, smooth side out, primed with an exterior solid-color stain, all seams caulked (or covered with trim) then painted with two coats of an exterior semi-gloss paint. I would keep the OSB about 1/4" off the floor, fill the gap with backer rod and caulk it well with a paintable caulk (before painting, but after priming).

Larry Edgerton
12-22-2014, 9:37 AM
If you use drywall which has never been a problem for me, use MR board such as you would use in a bathroom. It is moisture resistant, hence the MR, and a bit harder than normal drywall. Box stores and most lumber yards only carry it in 8' sheets but drywall supply houses have it in 12' sheets.

I am not a fan of OSB inside, but if you do it use an oil base finish on it. Water base will make the surface swell a bit and it will stay that way. I have done a couple in MDF, and they came out nice, but I prefer drywall in my own shop.

Brad Adams
12-22-2014, 1:07 PM
I used LP smartside panels in my garage. Looks way better than OSB and is made to be out in the elements. I painted it with exterior paint. I just spray the walls down when they get dirty. I don't worry about over spray on the walls when washing my car in the garage with it.

Brian Elfert
12-22-2014, 2:18 PM
FRP panels are used in showers and kitchens where water is an issue. I think some car washes even use this stuff on the interior walls.

Tom M King
12-22-2014, 3:29 PM
I used LP smartside panels in my garage. Looks way better than OSB and is made to be out in the elements. I painted it with exterior paint. I just spray the walls down when they get dirty. I don't worry about over spray on the walls when washing my car in the garage with it.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Home Depot carries it. It looks sort of like T111, but had a very smooth, 3D woodgrain texture. It's already primed, so all you have to do is put on a top coat. For interior, I put it up with 6d sinkers. In hardboard materials like that, nailguns will leave a crater. We just drive the sinkers flush with the surface, hit them with spray shellac, and spray it with SW Proclassic, but any paint will work good on it with no more prep work.

It's marketed as an exterior siding, so getting it wet in a garage should be no problem.

I have it in our dogroom, and closets here, and have done probably ten other rooms with it. Here's a link to one picture of it on the walls of our dogroom: http://www.starbornhavanese.com/images/DSCN5019.JPG

When getting panels from HD, pick out the ones with edges that haven't been beaten up. If you get only good edges, they go together perfectly, and don't even need caulking before painting.

Gary Thinglum
12-23-2014, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the input guys, what is the difference between LP, and FRP panels. I used a fiberglass panel in our laundry room which was a plastic or fiberglass which I thought would work. Brad, and Brian, when you installed these panels did you use drywall behind these. I was thinking of putting these panels up 4' on the wall and calk them in the spacers, and over the top of the trim. Also, calk the bottom of the trim at the sill plate. I am afraid of the moisture getting behind the panels and forming mold. What did you use to cover the sill plate of the blocks? This is wood also. I wonder if a guy could cut strips of the LP or FRP, or is there a better way? Thanks again everyone for all your input. Gary

Art Mann
12-23-2014, 10:48 AM
The big box stores sell a form of hardboard siding for exterior use that looks similar T1-11 but is already primed. It comes in 7/16" or 1/2" thickness. I used it on the inside of my shop and it looks way better than OSB and is much more durable than drywall. It is also very easy to install since it doesn't have to be taped and finished. It should be painted with top quality exterior paint, including the top and bottom edges. If the garage has good ventilation and is heated to promote drying, I think it would be about as moisture resistant as any wall finishing material that isn't masonry.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-23-2014, 11:02 AM
I have used steel siding as well. We used a pressure washer to blast yuk off the equipment, so it gets everywhere. Steel siding could be washed off with the same pressure washer.

Brian Elfert
12-23-2014, 11:17 AM
FRP panels do require drywall or other sheet goods behind them. You can also get FRP panels that are already bonded to an OSB panel. FRP properly installed shouldn't get water behind it. It is used in locker room showers all over. I put FRP panels on all of the walls of the bathroom in my RV including the shower. I had to do it twice because the first time I didn't follow the instructions on gluing the panels and the original panels came loose over the years.

LP Smartside is a wood product that isn't really designed for use in a wet indoor environment although it gets lots of water exposure outside. For a garage that is used for washing cars I am sure it would be fine.

The use of LP Smartside panels inside a house is a unique finish that looks good in the photos. I wonder if used in a basement if it would look dated 20 years from now like basement paneling from the 70s/80s? Why not use T1-11 or similar instead of LP Smartside for interior use although I see Smartside might actually be less than T1-11. I was just going to order some drywall for my basement today and now I might look at the Smartside instead.

Brian Elfert
12-23-2014, 11:37 AM
I have it in our dogroom, and closets here, and have done probably ten other rooms with it. Here's a link to one picture of it on the walls of our dogroom: http://www.starbornhavanese.com/images/DSCN5019.JPG

What kind of doors did you use with the Smartside panels? I used golden oak solid core six panel doors and trim on my first floor, but I don't know if golden oak would be a good look in the basement with SmartSide panels. I am thinking about using galvanized steel roofing/siding on the ceilings in the basement.

Tom M King
12-23-2014, 7:08 PM
LP stands for the company Louisiana Pacific. The siding sheets we're talking about are some sort of hardboard, similar to Masonite, but rated for the outside.

I don't understand the question about doors. The picture in that link is an outside wall in our dogroom. I think that's the only place I've ever used a prehung door. These panels have to be painted, so anything you want should go with them some kind of way. On the ceilings in rooms I've put them in, we use beadboard plywood, cover all the joints with 1x6s made from MDF, and spray paint that too.

Tom M King
12-23-2014, 7:15 PM
FRP panels do require drywall or other sheet goods behind them. You can also get FRP panels that are already bonded to an OSB panel. FRP properly installed shouldn't get water behind it. It is used in locker room showers all over. I put FRP panels on all of the walls of the bathroom in my RV including the shower. I had to do it twice because the first time I didn't follow the instructions on gluing the panels and the original panels came loose over the years.

LP Smartside is a wood product that isn't really designed for use in a wet indoor environment although it gets lots of water exposure outside. For a garage that is used for washing cars I am sure it would be fine.

The use of LP Smartside panels inside a house is a unique finish that looks good in the photos. I wonder if used in a basement if it would look dated 20 years from now like basement paneling from the 70s/80s? Why not use T1-11 or similar instead of LP Smartside for interior use although I see Smartside might actually be less than T1-11. I was just going to order some drywall for my basement today and now I might look at the Smartside instead.

I had thought about the dating thing back when I first put it in our dogroom, and closets in that addition. Everyone who has seen it likes it though, and we've ended up using it in probably ten, or so, other places since then, for other people.

They also make a similar product, with V-grooves, and a smooth finish. I've used that too, but had to special order a whole bundle of it.

The advantage of this stuff over T-111, is that you can run your hand over it, and it is very smooth, in spite of the woodgrain texture. All you have to do is nail it up, and paint it. T-111 will always be rough, no matter what you do with it.

If anyone needs a detailed how-to on putting it up, I can post it. It's a two person job.

Brian Elfert
12-23-2014, 7:38 PM
I don't understand the question about doors. The picture in that link is an outside wall in our dogroom. I think that's the only place I've ever used a prehung door. These panels have to be painted, so anything you want should go with them some kind of way. On the ceilings in rooms I've put them in, we use beadboard plywood, cover all the joints with 1x6s made from MDF, and spray paint that too.

I'm kinda thinking that solid oak six panel interior doors wouldn't go very well with SmartSide on the walls. I was wondering what kind of interior doors you used in your rooms, but it sounds like you don't have any interior doors in these rooms.

Art Mann
12-23-2014, 11:06 PM
I think Brad, Tom and I are all talking about the same type material. I was thrown off by the cryptic "LP smartside" term. There are many manufacturers of hardboard siding and even more brand names. I used Georgia Pacific brand.

If the original poster wants the kind of garage that most people would think of then the hardboard siding will fit right in. I am not so sure about fiberglass reinforced plastic.

Tom M King
12-24-2014, 9:16 AM
I'm kinda thinking that solid oak six panel interior doors wouldn't go very well with SmartSide on the walls. I was wondering what kind of interior doors you used in your rooms, but it sounds like you don't have any interior doors in these rooms.

Interior doors, back in that part of the house are all six panel painted, as is the trim painted. The older original part of the house has natural all Heart Pine paneled doors, and trim. The transition space is a library room with no door into the newer addition. I've never heard any complaints about the variation in the two parts of the house. The siding with the woodgrain texture has a slightly rustic feel, but the rooms I've done with that and the painted beaded ceilings, crown molding, and wider casing are liked by everyone that has seen them, including two different architects, and one designer.

"Hardboard siding" would indeed be a better general term for this stuff, although that sold in HD is LP. I can't remember who manufactured the smooth surfaced, V-groove stuff that I bought a whole bundle of about twenty years ago.

Tom M King
12-24-2014, 9:18 AM
Here's a picture with the siding panels, and beaded ceiling in the dog room: http://www.starbornhavanese.com/images/DSCN5733.JPG It got put to use before we put the last coat of paint on the ceiling. Typical builder's house-unfinished.

John Sanford
12-25-2014, 1:39 PM
Roll on over to Garage Journal (http://www.garagejournal.com/), those folks live and breathe garages as workspaces. Home Autowork shops, autobody painting, machinists, detailers, woodworking shops, you'll find them all over there, with lots and lots of build threads.

What Sawmill Creek is to woodwork, GJ is to the humble non-commercial garage.

Ole Anderson
12-25-2014, 2:20 PM
I used the white pre finished 1/4" Masonite panels cross cut into thirds, that gave me a height of 32", enough to keep the splashing off the finished walls (ordinary drywall, painted.