PDA

View Full Version : Microwaving in the winter

Bob Bergstrom
12-21-2014, 10:39 PM
I turned this wing bowl from half a maple log about 11am the other morning. A few hours later it was dry and finished. I microwaved it outside in about 25 degree weather. When I removed it from the oven, it was steaming. Each successive time less steam was released. I figured when I couldn't see steam it was dry enough to finish. The cold weather steam became a good indicator of the moisture left. The cold also cooled the wood and provided some warth to my gloved hands. The rim was burned with a blow torch and the edge painted with India ink. Oiled and lacquered.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Interesting process, Bob!

Ron Borowicz
12-22-2014, 7:31 AM
What power setting did you use? How long did you have the piece in for? Thanks!

Bob Bergstrom
12-22-2014, 8:40 AM
The piece was moderately wet, about 3/8" thick. I used baked potato setting, but only ran it for 2 minutes per cycle. I think I went though about four cycles letting it cool between. The wood, wetness, thickness all are variables in the process. I mostly watched through the glass and took it out as moisture built up in the oven. Maple seemed to responed well to this process. Oak would be more prone to cracking.

Andy Pogue
12-22-2014, 4:04 PM
I'm curious, could you feel a difference in weight before and after?

Bob Bergstrom
12-22-2014, 5:15 PM
I'm curious, could you feel a difference in weight before and after?
Yes, even at that thickness, it feels different, both lighter and dryer. Bowl is about 10 " long and 5 to 6" across.