PDA

View Full Version : ageing wood… A possibly interesting discovery

Brian Ashton
12-21-2014, 7:50 PM
So tonight I can't sleep and I've been lurking around the internet and happened on a site for obsessive tool junkies here in the UK. In particular the article I read was regarding how to age wood, especially for tools… It was quite enlightening, especially now in that there are some tell tale signs that indicate ageing has been tried… The technique employed in the article involved fairly high heat being applied to the part to accelerate the ageing process, but the by product of this technique often leaves scorch marks in the wood… When that is retrospectively applied to the numerous tools I've viewed on ebay and always wondered about what looks like scorching (as if the plane were rescued from a fire) on many of the planes I've been interested it makes me wonder if they have been doctored now.

Certainly has me thinking

Wade Lippman
12-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Isn't poor condition a negative? Why would anyone do that?

Jim Koepke
12-22-2014, 2:43 AM

Some one once asked, "what kind of fool do you think I am?" The reply was, "you mean there is more than one kind?"

Some folks think age makes up for condition and adds more value. Adding fake patina or other oxidation effects masks the common nature of an object. This allows an unscrupulous seller to persuade an unsuspecting customer to empty his wallet for something that isn't worth the small change found in most pockets.

On the other side are those who will strip an original finish from an antique to refinish with rattle can spray lacquer.

One of the tool makers offered maple handles that had been heated at high temperature to caramelize the sugar and darken the wood. Not sure if that was a one time deal, but that is a bit different than trying to fake a patina.

jtk

Brian Ashton
12-22-2014, 5:27 PM

If I understand your question… I think what's being offered for sale on ebay, where a plane looks like it's survived a fire, are the failed attempts at ageing a plane that has in some way been repaired. At least here in the UK, it's becoming apparent that ebay is a dumping ground for garbage or the cast offs and or stripped out refuse of collectors.

Brian Ashton
12-22-2014, 5:39 PM
Some one once asked, "what kind of fool do you think I am?" The reply was, "you mean there is more than one kind?"

Some folks think age makes up for condition and adds more value. Adding fake patina or other oxidation effects masks the common nature of an object. This allows an unscrupulous seller to persuade an unsuspecting customer to empty his wallet for something that isn't worth the small change found in most pockets.

On the other side are those who will strip an original finish from an antique to refinish with rattle can spray lacquer.

One of the tool makers offered maple handles that had been heated at high temperature to caramelize the sugar and darken the wood. Not sure if that was a one time deal, but that is a bit different than trying to fake a patina.

jtk

For me some of the most interesting conversation were with a fellow I met in Australia that was originally from the Netherlands… He was an antique forger, for lack of a better description. He did it for about 20 years. He says he only got caught in the end because the paperwork drew suspicion - not his work… I've seen a few planes that would be easily duplicated that have gone over a hundred pounds ($150) that would be easy to duplicate. All you would need is a sacrificial side bead plane (10 pounds) to harvest the box wood insert from and a rebate plane (8 pounds), an hours worth of work and you sell it for over a hundred pounds…

Jim Koepke
12-22-2014, 7:18 PM
Back in 2008 the New York Times had an article on a well known London antique dealer who made fake antiques.

Search > John Hobbs antiques < for more information.

jtk