PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! A comet is heading straight for my house!

John Coloccia
12-21-2014, 2:21 PM
I spotted it this morning. Here you can just see it in the upper left.

I thought it was going to miss, but it keeps getting closer...

..and closer...

What am I going to do??

Scott Shepherd
12-21-2014, 2:27 PM
What am I going to do??

Ease up on the egg nog? :p

Kent A Bathurst
12-21-2014, 2:38 PM
A Tootsie Roll Pop comet. Too funny.

Kent A Bathurst
12-21-2014, 3:36 PM
John -

Have you considered a functional scale model of a trebuchet?

John Coloccia
12-21-2014, 3:42 PM
John -

Have you considered a functional scale model of a trebuchet?

I'm writing that down for next year.

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2014, 3:42 PM
Ease up on the egg nog? :p

Now THATs funny! (Sorry John!)

Kent A Bathurst
12-21-2014, 5:22 PM
I'm writing that down for next year.
You will need a Gingerbread Castle, of course, with candy fish in the blue-icing moat.

John Coloccia
12-21-2014, 5:28 PM
Well, it hit the house. It really made a mess of things this time.

At least it looks like my last remaining tree survived.

Nope, there it goes.

Incidentally, I don't care what astronomers say, comets don't taste anything like dirty snowballs.

Kent A Bathurst
12-21-2014, 5:53 PM
If we don't have a system in place to identify the Best Thread of the Year, with an appropriate plaque made out of - I dunno - wood, maybe? - then we are missing a great opportunity with this thread of John's.

I mean, whadd're we gonna do if the docs get his meds squared away and his lovely wife hides the key to the liquor cabinet? We'll never see the likes of this one again.

Lee Schierer
12-21-2014, 6:09 PM
If we don't have a system in place to identify the Best Thread of the Year, with an appropriate plaque made out of - I dunno - wood, maybe? - then we are missing a great opportunity with this thread of John's.

I mean, whadd're we gonna do if the docs get his meds squared away and his lovely wife hides the key to the liquor cabinet? We'll never see the likes of this one again.

We could make it out of gingerbread and frosting, but he'd probably eat it.:D

Mel Fulks
12-21-2014, 6:18 PM
Agree with Kent. Every 70 years or so there is Halley's Comet ....again! The one John discovered is new...and not blurry.

John Coloccia
12-21-2014, 6:22 PM

Maybe someone can bake me a new roof.

Kent A Bathurst
12-21-2014, 7:02 PM
As a kid, I built models.. Cars. Planes. Battleships. Few lived longer than a month after completion.. Creative Destruction.

The death dance I liked best - an aircraft carrier. Before the main deck went on, filled it with a mix of glue and match heads, and some firecrackers on top layer.

You can see the punchline coming.

Made sure it floated and was balanced enough to stay on the water. 5 minute waterproof fuse. A creek though a nearby state park.

Light the fuse. Put it in the creek. Let it sail downstream. Suddenly, a couple explosions below-decks. Fire broke out. Minor flare-ups [match heads]. More below-decks explosions. Raging inferno.

The destruction of the model was cool in its own right. But...the real show was the little kids out with their families for a Sunday afternoon picnic.

Without any doubt, they had a story to tell at school the next day - Monday.

And, yes.........there is a point in here somewhere.......John does not need a new roof for this one. He needs a new strategy. One that insures the ultimate destrucion........a glorious, spectacular, ultimate destuction ............ of the gingerbread house. We have all seen him make videos of boring topics such as european rasps. Let's see what he can do as writer, producer, cinematographer, stunt manager, and director of a topic with some meat on the bones, eh?

Myk Rian
12-21-2014, 7:27 PM
.John does not need a new roof for this one. He needs a new strategy. One that insures the ultimate destrucion........a glorious, spectacular, ultimate destuction ............ of the gingerbread house.
This guy.

Phil Thien
12-21-2014, 8:01 PM
Just as well, it doesn't look like the house was properly insulated.

John Coloccia
12-21-2014, 8:29 PM

The cotton candy didn't get here in time.

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2014, 8:50 PM
.John does not need a new roof for this one. He needs a new strategy. One that insures the ultimate destrucion........a glorious, spectacular, ultimate destuction ............ of the gingerbread house. We have all seen him make videos of boring topics such as european rasps. Let's see what he can do as writer, producer, cinematographer, stunt manager, and director of a topic with some meat on the bones, eh?

John,
Google "Bambi meets Godzilla", if the dude with the circus mallet doesnt suit. Theres an idea in there somewhere, Im sure.

LOVED the comet!
Fred

Kent A Bathurst
12-21-2014, 9:16 PM

I don't know how this is even remotely possible, but we missed it. The collective "we".

In the basement workshop, there was a HF 2HP single-stage dust collector. With PVC piping. And....he did not ground the PVC. It exploded from build-up of static electricity.

Either that, or in the basement workshop was a 5 gallon pail full of paper towels and cotton rags he had been using to apply Waterlox. Spontaneous combustion.

Either that, or he was out of town for a weekend, and did not unplug his pancake compressor. When the OEM air leak triggered the tank refill cycle, the motor switched on and an electrical short started a fire.

Either that, or he had the grill set up on the back patio. As he was walking through the basement shop to the grill, he dropped a plate full of hot dogs on his TS, triggering the safety mechanism, and somehow the destruction of the blade brake created sparks that brought the house down. I am unclear on how exactly this could happen, so someone needs to fill in the gaps. It might be that his $11.95 HF As Good As Any other Brand Stacked Dado Set self-destructed and threw the tips into the steel saw frame.