PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Cabinets

Dave Dionne
07-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey

Well my wife has decided that she really likes the looks of Shaker cabinets and what she wants for our Kitchen and both baths. I have a good line on some cherry for the face frames and doors at a real good price from a co-worker. My question is will do I need to use cherry ply for the carcuss (sp) or can I substitute birch or some other ply. The only 3/4 cherry ply I can get is about $100.oo a sheet is this about what to expect?

Thanks in advance Dave

Corey Hallagan
07-20-2005, 12:12 AM
I don't know why you would have to use cherry ply. Most would probably use something else for the interior. Home Depot has Birch/Maple ply on sell for 29.97 right now nd it is nice looking stuff. Would be great carcass material. I like the look of a maple interior and darker exterior like oak, your cherry, etc. If you are trying to make another ply look like cherry, then you will have to go through a little test and trial in finishing to match the color. I am sure there are some pro finishers who can get you close.

corey

Dev Emch
07-20-2005, 12:29 AM
At $100 dollars per sheet..... you can find 3/4 baltic birch for less than that! The baltic birch that comes in 4x8 sheets is called ApplePly (TM) or Russian Ply.

You may consider staining and finishing this material to match your face frames.

You may also wind up using a melamine interior. Check with wifie to see what she desires.

Lastly, if you really have to go with the best, consider resawing some of the cherry and bookmatching it and then laminating it to the box substrate material. Now I know a number of you will want to know what drugs I have been on to even suggest this. But hey, they are your cabinets and if you enjoy working with wood, then have fun and fun is what its all about is it not?

The one thing I dont like about many plys like cherry ply and others is that often the veneer layer is VERY thin. Abuse on the interior of the cabinets may penetrate this thin layer. How this can happen is beyond me; however, I have seen the end results! Maybe the older kid locked his kid sister in the cabinet for fun... who knows. But I have seen the damage.

By going to a thicker veneer layer like you get when you resaw your own veneer, you are buying an insurrance policy that this never happens. Its a ton of extra work but if your a perfectionist, this may be for you.

As for the shaker style. I have seen a number of super high end kitchens lately and this simple style seems to be the ticket. I really like it. As I have mentioned before, the problem with using a standard raised panel design is that everyone and his uncle have the same shaper and router cutters which has given this style a bit of a commodity appearance. A nice wood like cherry really looks nice in this style esp. if its not finished with that horrid beet juice stain that commercial furniture makers use!!! YUUUUCCCKKKK!

Good Luck & Enjoy...

Richard Wolf
07-20-2005, 7:50 AM
I think you might consider the cherry ply for the exposed panels (end units) and maple or birch for the rest. As Cory pointed out, insides of most cabinets look better with a light finishes anyway.
Dev's suggestion about make your own custom ply with cherry on the out side and melamine on the inside is a good choice if you have access to a vacuum press, and alot of time, and alot of determination.

Richard

Joe Unni
07-20-2005, 8:46 AM
Hey
My question is will do I need to use cherry ply for the carcuss (sp) or can I substitute birch or some other ply. The only 3/4 cherry ply I can get is about $100.oo a sheet is this about what to expect?

Dave,

I agree with others - less expensive for the unexposed cases and cherry for the end panels.

Please don't get your stock at HD. Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH carries lot's of different plys. I often use their shop grade birch ply for interiors (currently $49.95). Believe me, their shop grade stuff is way better the the best single sheet you could find at HD! If you didn't want the shop grade - their A1 birch is currently $64.95. And FWIW, their cherry is $94.95 a sheet.

No I don't work for Highland. I buy my lumber exclusively from them and have become intimately familiar with their publish price list.

Good luck,
-joe

Michael Pfau
07-20-2005, 9:06 AM
As stated, Baltic Birch would work great as the interior, with a light finish.

Dave Dionne
07-20-2005, 9:58 AM
THanks everybody for your input. I was hoping that would be the suggested way, This will be my first bug cabinet job and I want to do it right.

Joe
I love Highlands I was there on Monday when they opened to buy some Oak. I am lucky that I come home via rte 101 4 days a week and I get off right at 125 about 3 minutes from them.

Have you ever gone to Northlands?

Thanks Dave

Scott Banbury
07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Dave,

I typically use Birch plywood for the carcasses and polyuethane it natural on the carcass interiors. The lighter color makes it easier to see in the cabinet.

I like to make up frame and panel caps the same style as the doors for all exposed ends.

:)

Joe Unni
07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Joe
...Have you ever gone to Northlands?

I haven't. Where is it at?
-joe

Kurt Aebi
07-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Dave,

I made my kitchen cabinets with locally milled Cherry and did use some of the nice verigated colors and did not stain any of it. I used 3/4" Luan for my carcass material (I used cherry ply for th eexposed surfaces and only required 1 sheet that way). The luan I got had 2 good sides and once I put a coat of Poly on them they are roughly the same shade as the cherry. Looking inside the cabinet, it looks close to cherry without the grain of course. I got my Cherry Plywood at Baker Hardwoods in Hartford, VT (near Lebanon, NH). I'll have to look into Highlands, I hadn't heard of them before - I'llhave to check them out! Thanks guys!

Dave Dionne
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Joe
Northlands is about 3-4 miles south where 107 crosses 125. Head west on 107 across 125 if heading north take a imeediate right and that brings you right to Northlands, they run about 15-30 % cheaper then Highlands no ply that I know of just domestic and some Mohogany but they carry qrter sawn Sycamore and usually have cherry on sale.

http://www.northlandforest.com/

Kurt

Where are you located in Vermont?

Highlands is about 20 minutes east of Manchester NH

http://www.highlandhardwoods.com/

Thanks again Dave

Kurt Aebi
07-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Dave,

I am located in North Springfield, right by the NH border about an hour north of the Mass Line. Pudge Fisk's hometown, Charlestown is across the river from us. Manchester is about 2 hours from here. Have you made it up to the Shaker Village near Loudon? Neat place with lots of shaker stuff to look at and get ideas from.

Are you related to the guy that drives in the Bush North series?

Dan Forman
07-20-2005, 3:50 PM
Does anyone have pics of a Shaker style kitchen? I am going to be remodeling my kitchen in the not too distant future, looking for interesting ideas. Love Shaker tables.

Dan

Dave Dionne
07-20-2005, 6:17 PM
Kurt

I know right where you are, I was born and raised in Keene NH, started my drinking career in Brat. My sister was part of the White River Junction school system for many years and just sold her log cabin and 50 acres in Acworth.

Great part of the country over there, I live closer to the ocean and White Mountains thses days but still miss the Vermont side on NH.

Quick side note and past co=worker of mine her father in law was Fisk's baseball coach at UNH and had to kick pudge off the team for academic reasons, he still gets flack as the man that kciked off one of the all time best catchers.

Dave