PDA

View Full Version : Knife Build progress

Shawn Pixley
12-21-2014, 1:05 PM
I have been building a couple knives. One is almost done.

Here the wood is Bocote, the inlay stone is halite, and the finger guard and pommel are Brass and Copper. The handle is shaped / contoured (but does not photograph well). I am still unsure if the handle shape is just right yet. There is no finish yet and the blade has not yet been sharpened. I'll use an oil finish for the handle.

The work is all hand tools and the pins are hidden under the inlay. The finger guard wraps 3 sides of the tang at the Ricasso. This is fiddley, work to get it right. The steel is 5160 and 203. The blade is heat treated and hard, but the tang is much softer. The tang wasn't as even in thickness as it should be. this proved to be a major pain. Improvement need for next time.

Mel Fulks
12-21-2014, 1:21 PM
Very nice. And yes, I notice the grip grain echoes the steel pattern.

glenn bradley
12-21-2014, 1:48 PM
Yes, me like-ee. That is coming along well Shawn.

Chris Gilly
12-21-2014, 5:47 PM
Very nice!

Christopher Charles
12-21-2014, 5:54 PM
Nicely done! Besides looking good, what will be it's primary purpose?

Jim Becker
12-21-2014, 8:53 PM
Beautiful work!

Lori Kleinberg
12-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Very nicely done, Shawn.

Shawn Pixley
12-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Nicely done! Besides looking good, what will be it's primary purpose?

It will likely be a gift for someone. I have enough "stuff" but I still want to make things. Hence I make gifts. This one is the product of a knife making class. I didn't follow the instructor's lead here but used it as open shop time to be with like minded people and LOML. She is building her own knife.

The other knife I am making is a Yanagiba. Thta is the long, fish cutting sushi knife. That will be for me in the kitchen. I am still shaping the single bevel. Even with it unhardened it is long tedious work without power tools. The bevel is flat cut (not hollow ground). The side opposite the bevel has a hollow that was traditionally scraped.

Gordon Eyre
12-23-2014, 7:41 PM
Beautiful work Shawn. I have always like liked quality knives and this certainly fits the bill in that regard.

Bryce Adams
12-24-2014, 6:35 AM
Beautiful work Shawn. I once made a damascus knife from a kit, and scratched the blade while sharpening it. I used fine abrasives to polish out the scratches and unfortunately removed the damascus pattern on the surface of the steel. Thought I'd ruined it, but learned that some etching fluid restored the pattern.

Von Bickley
12-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Beautiful knife. Would love to see more pictures as you and your LOYL make them. Thanks for posting the picture.

Raymond Fries
12-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Awesome knife. I love the style and how it all flows together.

Someone is gonna get a really awesome gift.