PDA

View Full Version : Some glass etching pictures. Still figuring it out :)

Brent Franker
12-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Hello!

Been on here a while and have had my laser a while but due to work and whatnot I don't get a chance to use it much and so am no expert with the thing :) I was able to do some laser etching on a whiskey bottle for a friend and it came out pretty good considering I had to have it done yesterday and just started yesterday. LOL

I did some just regular text etching in some glass mugs yesterday as well and had good results with P100 S80 and 300DPI using a Epilog Legend 36EXT 75watt. I tried some mugs at P100 S85 and DPI600 and they came out excellent but it was just text.

I then moved on to this more complicated logo a guy wanted done. I didn't have that great of a logo to start with and originally tried to do one where it had multiple shades. The logo is less than 2"x2" so it was pretty small. While the shaded etching came out fairly decent, I decided to just go with a black and white one.

I did find that, with the limited amount of time I had to experiment/test that using masking for some very small text seemed to make the text a bit crisper/cleaner. What I ended up doing was P100 S70 and 600DPI. Came out OK (I think it could be better) and my friend was very happy so that's what matters. :)

Bert Kemp
12-21-2014, 1:52 PM
That Whiskey Bottle is outstanding nice job and tell your friend Thanks for his Service.

Bob WrightNC
12-21-2014, 4:13 PM
When you say masking, were you using the clear vinyl application tape (like you would use for sign vinyl)?

Brent Franker
12-21-2014, 5:48 PM
That Whiskey Bottle is outstanding nice job and tell your friend Thanks for his Service.

Thank you, Bert!

Brent Franker
12-21-2014, 5:51 PM
When you say masking, were you using the clear vinyl application tape (like you would use for sign vinyl)?

Not clear vinyl application tape but regular vinyl application tape. I happen to mainly do vinyl graphics so have it laying around in large volumes. LOL Here is a boring video of the engraving of the small text with the application tape. I forgot to mention before that when I'm not using the masking I was doing 70% black. With the masking I was at 100% black. I'm sure it could be better with some more fiddling but it came out pretty good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGraTDFKHiA