PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Options

Ned Bulken
07-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Ok all you spinny type posters...

I'm gearing up to get into turning. Here is my dilemma should I :

jump in the shallow end with a Midi Lathe
Try and find a decent used full sized lathe.
repair the Circa 70's craftsman lathe and get it going.
now, the craftsman needs a motor, belts and various and sundry other items.

Budget.... about $400 tops, less if I can. what do you think is the advisable route? (staying with flat work is viable too)

Gary Max
07-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Ned what you are going to run into is---after the lathe---how much for a good chuck---good set of tools ---face sheild---good lighting---these can run more than the cost of the lathe.

Cecil Arnold
07-19-2005, 11:57 PM
Boy, do you have that right, Gary.

Ned Bulken
07-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Ned what you are going to run into is---after the lathe---how much for a good chuck---good set of tools ---face sheild---good lighting---these can run more than the cost of the lathe.

Gary,
I realize that, and the assorted tools will come as the future budget allows. starting with the face shield, sharp parts, and grinder. Just a matter of picking the 'best' starting off point of those three options. (Unless I hit the lottery and then it is a whole different matter. LOL )

Tony Sizemore
07-20-2005, 1:43 AM
OK here is how I see it. if you are going to but $400 into redoing a one. That is almost the price of a smaller Delta and one 4th the price of a jet. I have bought small, less coastly tools (table saws and shapers) in the past think they will do for a now and they do for a LITTLE while then you start longing for the more high end tricks. If it where me I wold bite the bullet and put out the money up front for lathe that is going to do what ( or at least most) of what you whet from the start. I know it is not an easy chioce to make. I just did it with a plainer. Good luck

Gary Max
07-20-2005, 6:14 AM
Ned ---I have used the Mini's and Midi's-- and you will be surprised at how much you can do on them. With your price range maybe the Jet---VS. After you become friends with it you can add the extension if you want. I would not buy the extension until I saw that I was going to use it. They have plenty of power and are good machines. Plus if you go to a larger lathe later you can keep it for small stuff.

Ned Bulken
07-20-2005, 7:51 AM
Tony,
I fully understand the 'tool learning curve', at this time, however it is strictly a budgetary matter. I flat out cannot afford the big ticket, but still would like to get in to the SRO seats. ;) I've never turned before, but I sure do want to try it out/ Looks like a lot of fun, and something I could use in my repertoire. Thanks for the tip !

Gary,
Again, thanks! I think a lot will depend upon the condition of the old craftsman, so far we have a grand total investment of $5, will have to see today what shape it is in, dust it off etc....
I have my eye on that Jet Midi, though. seems to me it should be a good starting point if the craftsman is too much work. LOL
:D

Steven Wilson
07-20-2005, 9:11 AM
Go with the Jet variable speed mini. It's a very good machine and you'll still find uses for it when you purchase a large Oneway later. I prefer to turn on a decent mini lathe (I had a Delta midi) over the cheap, lightweight, larger lathes made by Jet or Delta. You'll enjoy the mini lathe.

Bill Grumbine
07-20-2005, 9:12 AM
Hi Ned

I would bag the old Craftsman. You can sink a lot of time and money into it just to end up with a mediocre lathe. If it were me starting with the budget you have, I would look long and hard at the Jet mini lathe with the bed extension. That will allow you to turn bowls up to 10" in diameter and still do a full length table leg.

Older full size lathes are okay if you can find one that does not need parts. If it does, hold on to your wallet! :eek: You will not gain much over the Jet mini with most older lathes, since they are almost always designed for spindle work. They are bigger and heavier, but you can build a very nice storage cabinet under the Jet and be way ahead.

While you may soon start lusting after things like a chuck and a sharpening jig, these things are luxuries, not necessities. I teach students all the time how to turn bowls without a chuck. We use a sharpening jig here in my shop, but I also teach freehand grinding if that is what the person needs or wants. Part of developing your skills as a turner is learning how to do things without the latest gadget or gizmo that the catalogs tell you you have to have.

Good luck with it, and I suspect you are going to get into it way more than you might think. :D

Bill

PS I was just talking on the phone with a friend of mine up your way. He lives in Cato. He could show you a thing or two about freehand grinding, not to mention other turning. He will be doing a demo at the Albany symposium.

Chris Barton
07-20-2005, 10:03 AM
I am with some of the other posters in suggesting a Jet VS mini, in part because of the 4 lathes I own, the Jet is one of them. Also, I would suggest looking at one of the HSS turning sets offered by Grizzly or Penn State. While buying individuals tools is the best way to go, you can't beat one of these sets on price and it will allow you to get in and get a feel for the hobby. I have bought several of these sets and still use them and have found them to be great values. I have one set by SteelX that I paid 100 bucks for because it had a large bowl gouge, large roughing gouge, large oval skew, and large parting chisel, plus several other items. The price of the individual items I mention above is way over the $100 I paid.

Another beauty of the Jet VS mini is that you can add a bed extention and do some significant spindle work and turn bowls close to 12" in diameter.

Chris

Wes Bischel
07-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Ned,

I can't think of a Craftsman wood lathe that would be worth spending a lot of time on. Maybe one from the 40's or 50's, but even those were light duty. Unless you have most of the parts needed sitting around, I would go for the Midi. My Craftsman lathe is a real pain to use and will be replaced very soon.
I would add the Harbor Freight turning tools are a good starting place. They have been serving me well while I learn - both to turn and sharpen. :eek: I think this is the set, and they are on sale again:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47066

Most important thing - spend what you are comfortable with and have fun! :D

Larry D. Wagner
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
:) Ned

Check your PM's. I sent you one on this subject!

Larry :) :) :)

Jeff Horton
07-20-2005, 12:16 PM
I take a slightly different stand. I started on a cheap Craftsman lathe. Granted I don't have a lot of good to say about the lathe. But, I learned a lot on that lathe by just buying a faceplate for it and a few other very inexpensive items. Working on a cheap lathe will increase your skill level (in my opinion). Lots of nice work has come off cheap lathes! Also it will also show you what you really want to do, ie. Bowls, hollow forms, spindle work etc. You will learn what you like and don't like about the lathe and have a better feel for buying you next one.

So, my opinion is if you can get that lathe going on the cheap then go with it. Why spend $400 to find out you don't like something if you can spend a $100??

And before I get chastised, if you have to spend $200 bucks or more on it on something that will not go to your next lathe then I say don't do it. But if you search around you can find a motor cheap. Ask around and you might find a free used motor. www.suprluscenter.com (http://www.suprluscenter.com) has 1/2hp motors for $60. Belt is probably $15. Thats getting into a starter lathe pretty cheap and you keep the motor to use one something else.

And I say again, while they are not great lathes, I turned a lot of nice looking items off my old craftsman.

Bill Grumbine
07-20-2005, 3:08 PM
So, my opinion is if you can get that lathe going on the cheap then go with it. Why spend $400 to find out you don't like something if you can spend a $100??

This is how I started, on a $100 Chinese lathe. It was a piece of junk, and very frustrating, because I did not know enough to know whether the problem was with me or the lathe. I had a catch that broke the tool rest, bent the tool into a hairpin, and scared myself so bad I put it away for five years. Then I bought a decent lathe and started over. During that time (after buying the new lathe, a Jet 1236) I had opportunity to turn on a Sears mono tube lathe as a tool demonstrator for Sears. I turned on it five days a week for two months. It was a piece of junk! I am not writing this to insult anyone who owns one, but that does not change the fact of the matter.

Yeah, people make decent stuff on cheap lathes, but why fight the machine if you can get into turning with a low cost quality machine? I've turned on just about every lathe that is out on the market right now, and some that aren't. Poorly built machines are just that - poorly built. They are frustrating, and often dangerous, especially in the hands of a beginner.

Every time this question comes up people write in with how well their Harbor Freight or other low end lathe performs, and I think that is no less an attempt to seek an endorsement for their decision as the person who writes in to say go straight for a Oneway 2436. That is why I never put up a response telling people to buy a Poolewood right off the bat unless that was within the specs of what they were looking for.

I put up a post myself a few days ago asking for opinions between the Nova DVR and the Jet 1642. I posted in four different places, and even explained why I was looking at these two machines. I had people writing me telling me I needed something bigger because I would want the capacity. I already have the capacity in my Poolewood. Then I had people writing tell me I should buy something cheaper so that people could work on something with which they were familiar, or learn to "work around" the machine! :eek:

I am not trying to pick on anyone here, or start a fight, but I see so many people as students in my shop who have remorse over the cheap piece of junk that they bought thinking it would be a good machine that I feel compelled to write about this. There are more lathe choices on the market than every before, and in all price ranges from $100 or even less up to close to $7000. I do not think that either extreme is suitable for beginners. Lots of people, including myself, recommend mini lathes, and the Jet in particular, because it is a well built machine for very little money. It has a proven track record in performance and durability.

Finally, as a way of ending my rant here, I don't make any money off of any lathes, and I do not gain any vicarious pleasure or sense of endorsement in anyone buying the lathes that I currently own. The one is out of production now, and the other is so expensive (the Vicmarc mini) that one could buy three Jets for the same price and keep two for spares. But between my own personal experience starting out, and the myriads of students who have passed through my shop, I hate to see people buying trouble and frustration when they are looking for the exact opposite.

Bill

Harry Goodwin
07-20-2005, 3:21 PM
I have a Jet mini that I dearly love . and the extension plus some PSI chucks and tools. Great combination. A little lathe with lots of capability. Harry

Jeff Horton
07-20-2005, 4:55 PM
First let me say I take no offense at what you said nor did I take it personal. I actually understand and agree with most of what you said.

It's just I am a Real Estate Appraisers and day after day I see how stupid people are with money. Refinance the house to pay off the credit card debt and couldn't tell you what they bought either. Next year there doing it again because they have run up more debt and nothing to show for it. It's none of my business how anyone spends their money but that is where I come from.

I am very careful with my money. Ned asked and if it were me I would rather spend $100 or less to fix the lathe he has and have a chance to test the waters. To me that makes better financial sense. Not than many people really care about good financial sense. :D I realize I am in the minority but thats OK. I don't have 10K or more of Credit Card debt either. ;)

Again, I take none of what you said personal. Matter of fact I just bought a new lathe to replace my old tubular Craftsman I learned on. No, I just bought my second lathe. Haven't gotten the bowl lathe going yet but almost.

Pat Salter
07-20-2005, 8:30 PM
Ok, here's another "opinion" :rolleyes: , I can understand the need to keep it within a budget but I can also understand buying the best you can and getting the best machine for the money.
I would be leary of putting much into the "Crapsman" (sorry, just don't like anything much they have put out), but I understand just putting a bit into it to see if you like this spinning business.
Let me sugguest this, find a woodturning club in you area, attend some meetings and meet some folks who might let you come to their shops and try out their equipment.
I found an old Yates American 12" with no tailstock or tool rest and got it for 100 bucks, I've found that Delta's 12" tailstock and tool rest fit and have borrowed them temporarily till I can find replacements (watching ebay :D ). Between a replacement motor, assorted tools and a couple of face plates I've spent about $425. Getting ready to purchase a PSI chuck ($80) and I'm pretty much set up.
I originally had a cheap "harbor freight" type lathe (used) that didn't last but about a month. That was a waste of time and money.
I guess what I'm saying is, if you're not in a hurry, take your time and shop around. See if you can't try out a couple of differant lathes. Watch for "demo" sales, etc.
Good luck.

Jeff Horton
07-20-2005, 9:03 PM
Good advice Pat. Wish I had a club around me sometimes.

Hey, I just bought a Brodhead-Garret lathe, they bought out Yates American as I understand. So I assume we have the same lathe or kissing cousins. Mine should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

I sent you a PM, there was a tailstock on Ebay that closed today I think. Did you see it? I thought about it but couldn't see any need for a second one.

Jim Becker
07-20-2005, 9:58 PM
My thoughts are similar to Bill's...been there, done that. The cheap lathe I bought first actually cost me more in both time and money and I sold it for a minor fraction of what it cost me. The next machine was high quality and I learned at an exponetial rate. I sold it for a substantial percentage of my original cost a couple years later when I upgraded to what I turn on now and could have gotten more if I wanted to wait for a willing buyer and had the space available to keep it in the shop. In effect, that second machine cost me out of pocket no more than the $300 one did and it was a $2000 machine...

Ken Salisbury
07-21-2005, 4:46 AM
I started to respond to this thread with my opinion on the subject. However, Bill's response is like the "Amazing Kreskin" reading my mind :) . So no need for me to elaborate further

This is how I started, on a $100 Chinese lathe. It was a piece of junk, and very frustrating, because I did not know enough to know whether the problem was with me or the lathe. I had a catch that broke the tool rest, bent the tool into a hairpin, and scared myself so bad I put it away for five years. Then I bought a decent lathe and started over. During that time (after buying the new lathe, a Jet 1236) I had opportunity to turn on a Sears mono tube lathe as a tool demonstrator for Sears. I turned on it five days a week for two months. It was a piece of junk! I am not writing this to insult anyone who owns one, but that does not change the fact of the matter.

Yeah, people make decent stuff on cheap lathes, but why fight the machine if you can get into turning with a low cost quality machine? I've turned on just about every lathe that is out on the market right now, and some that aren't. Poorly built machines are just that - poorly built. They are frustrating, and often dangerous, especially in the hands of a beginner.

Every time this question comes up people write in with how well their Harbor Freight or other low end lathe performs, and I think that is no less an attempt to seek an endorsement for their decision as the person who writes in to say go straight for a Oneway 2436. That is why I never put up a response telling people to buy a Poolewood right off the bat unless that was within the specs of what they were looking for.

I put up a post myself a few days ago asking for opinions between the Nova DVR and the Jet 1642. I posted in four different places, and even explained why I was looking at these two machines. I had people writing me telling me I needed something bigger because I would want the capacity. I already have the capacity in my Poolewood. Then I had people writing tell me I should buy something cheaper so that people could work on something with which they were familiar, or learn to "work around" the machine! :eek:

I am not trying to pick on anyone here, or start a fight, but I see so many people as students in my shop who have remorse over the cheap piece of junk that they bought thinking it would be a good machine that I feel compelled to write about this. There are more lathe choices on the market than every before, and in all price ranges from $100 or even less up to close to $7000. I do not think that either extreme is suitable for beginners. Lots of people, including myself, recommend mini lathes, and the Jet in particular, because it is a well built machine for very little money. It has a proven track record in performance and durability.

Finally, as a way of ending my rant here, I don't make any money off of any lathes, and I do not gain any vicarious pleasure or sense of endorsement in anyone buying the lathes that I currently own. The one is out of production now, and the other is so expensive (the Vicmarc mini) that one could buy three Jets for the same price and keep two for spares. But between my own personal experience starting out, and the myriads of students who have passed through my shop, I hate to see people buying trouble and frustration when they are looking for the exact opposite.

Bill

Ned Bulken
07-21-2005, 8:33 AM
THanks one and all,
Here's where I'm headed for now. I'm going to be looking around for a decent used lathe if I can pick one up, but the Jet VS mini is a very strong contender. The craftsman is one of the tube type, which I"m gathering is fraut with major shortcomings. I'd just as soon avoid those, which is why I"m sure it has gathered sawdust for over a year in our shop. Hey we got it for $5, I can easily buy that much springing for a McLunch anymore.
I truly appreciate the candor and the excellent advice from everyone, I'm not in any 'hurry' and in fact am doing my homework 'right now' so I don't Mis-spend my hard earned dollars when the time comes. I can be very patient, I waited over a year to buy my tablesaw, which I've yet to outgrow, and I've had that just about two years now. It is a contractor's saw, but it hasn't quit on me yet, and is the core of my shop. I doubt I'll be getting the lathe much before the fall, but will have a solid idea of what I want and/or need before I buy.

Jim Becker
07-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Ned, I think you have the right plan and attitude about this. Whichever way you go will be the right way for you.

Jeff Horton
07-21-2005, 12:00 PM
The craftsman is one of the tube type, ....

Then I revise what I said. I wouldn't put a $100 in it. :D I have one too.

Ray Wishart
07-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Dont' really have much to add but I will anyway! I bought a Craftsman tube frame lathe years ago, scared the hell out of me so I sold it at a garage sale. Then my daughters bought me a Delta Midi (about the same as the Jet Mini) and it was a world of difference. Kept developing skills and bought more tools for it. Last winter I bought a larger and nicer Jet, but I kept the midi. At first I thought I would use the midi for small items but in reality the bigger Jet does that fine, so I bought a Beall buffing system to install on the Delta.

In summary (in my opinion only)- See if you can get $5 for the Craftsman at a garage sale, buy a mini/midi (Jet VS is a great choice), fall in love with turning and spend all your spare $$ on tools and square pieces of wood to make round, and then someday make the plunge for a bigger (but still quality) lathe.

Welcome to the world on wood turning!

Ned Bulken
07-25-2005, 11:20 AM
about lathe purchase right now. Ye Olde Astro just ate $300 worth of parts/labor to pass state inspection. *sigh* so much for wood and tool budget this month. :mad:

starting the 'savings account' for the spinny thing now, perhaps by fall I'll afford my lathe/tools/etc... just in time for winter.