PDA

View Full Version : What Toys Should I ask Santa for?

Bob WrightNC
12-21-2014, 8:23 AM
So I just got my Trotec Speedy 300 in and I'm getting asked what I'd like for Christmas. You guys know what I'm going to want/need/have to have to use with it and I'm wondering if you could help me with a list! Thanks!

Mike Troncalli
12-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Gift cards for Johnson plastics and JDS INDUSTRIES

Mayo Pardo
12-21-2014, 7:17 PM
Krud Cutter, Denatured Alcohol, Acetone, Transfer Tape (if you have a vinyl cutter you probably already have this), if you didn't get the metallic grid for cutting get one of those or go to HD and get the Plaskolite ceiling lighting diffuser grid - the one made from white styrene works OK and it's cheap.
Cheap glass to practice on - if you have a Hobby Lobby near you they frequently have 50% off sales on small glass containers - nice size for holiday gifts.
Other materials to practice on:
3x5 or 4x6 index cards, cardboard, posterboard, acrylic scrap, counter top sample color chips in laminate, granite, corian etc.
A rotary accessory?
Fume Extractor
Customers!

Bob WrightNC
12-21-2014, 8:20 PM
Mayo,
That's the kind of list I'm talking about. Getting me thinking. Thanks!

Bob

Bob WrightNC
12-21-2014, 8:21 PM
Gift cards for Johnson plastics and JDS INDUSTRIES

Mike,
I ordered a mother load already from those guys that should be here tomorrow. Pretty pumped.

Bob

Mike Troncalli
12-21-2014, 8:47 PM
Yea, I am setting up a new wholsale booth and had to order about 50 different items from JDS. That was fun going through everything. The poor customer service rep who took my call was very gracious about the whole thing. I have had good service through them.

Keith Outten
12-22-2014, 6:57 AM
Marble Tile
Granite Tile
Leather
Thin wood sheets
Cast Acrylic sheets for engraving, makes great business cards trust me on this one
Magnetic sheet, preferably a roll
Rubber Stamps and engraving rubber
A good selection of paint for filling engraved projects
An assortment of quality paint brushes
Magnets for the laser bed and a couple small ones so you can engrave with the door open
Exacto Knife set, although you probably own one for your vinyl cutter
A good quality inspection loop that is at least 10X
Plastic Cutter
Plastic Beveler
New Hermes Safety Saw for cutting wood, acrylic, and thin sheet metal like Alumamark
Digital Calipers
Dupont adhesive gun and a variety of colored adhesive.
You can purchase 10" square Corian sample tiles from Dupont or your local distributor
Wood plaques
Cermark
Sheets of Alumamark
Golden Era Studios art DVD's
Vector Art DVD's
A keyhole router bit for making your own plaque hangers

I may have already blown your budget so I'll stop now :)
One last note: Johnson's Plastics is a sponsor here, it helps The Creek if you purchase from them.

Mike Null
12-22-2014, 7:32 AM
I would differ with Mayo on the plaskolite grid. Get acrylic--don't use styrene. I also use powder coated aluminum.

Guy Hilliard
12-22-2014, 10:27 AM
The best accessory that didn't come with my laser is a DustBuster or similar hand vacuum.
Every laser should come with one!

Mike Null
12-22-2014, 10:37 AM
I find my draftsman's triangles to be invaluable for aligning free standing items to the laser. Get a 45/45/90 and a 30/60/90.

Steve Middleton
03-16-2018, 6:21 AM
Great thread. Santa will be coming early to my house:)

Mike Null
03-16-2018, 8:55 AM
I would also add black paste shoe polish and neutral paste floor wax. Plastic razor blades. Cloth dressmakers measuring tape (prevents scratching of delicate items)

I often have to make various jigs to make work repeatable. My woodworking shop, though very modest, is invaluable for doing that and for fabricating devices to hold work for engraving.

Barb Becker
03-18-2018, 1:30 PM
I would also add black paste shoe polish and neutral paste floor wax.

I'm curious about how one would use these, the black paste for darkening wood? No clue about the neutral wax other than as a surface protector, for something like slate??

Mike Null
03-18-2018, 6:21 PM
Barb

I use it as a colorfill for things like pens, pen boxes and text on solid wood plaques. Neutral wax is used for leather or putting a sheen on certain wood items.

Barb Becker
03-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Barb

I use it as a colorfill for things like pens, pen boxes and text on solid wood plaques. Neutral wax is used for leather or putting a sheen on certain wood items.

Good ideas! I remember stained fingers many years ago when I used paste polish on shoes, does the wood need to have a sealer or do you etch transfer tape or something to keep the non-etched parts of the wood from taking up the black polish?

Mike Null
03-19-2018, 7:46 AM
If it's a light colored wood--maple for example--I would use a clear coat first to seal it.