PDA

View Full Version : Cutting cabriole legs without bandsaw?

Justin Green
12-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Ok, I've done some searching, but haven't seen a clear solution yet. How were cabriole legs cut before bandsaws?

I can look at the wood removed and imagine bow saw (giving me an excuse to hunt for one), but wanted to check if someone has experience with this and the recommended tools. My next project will include an attempt (four or more attempts, lol) at cabriole legs, and was curious.

I could imaging other ways to arrive at the curves, but would require a large amount of clean up.

Fidel Fernandez
12-20-2014, 10:55 AM
This is one way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m67JNG3rASg

Zach Dillinger
12-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Mack Headley shows one historic method using hand saws in the Colonial Williamsburg video entitled "The Cabinetmaker".

Warren Mickley
12-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Yes, we use a turning saw to cut these curves.

Here is a cabriole leg that was made in Philadelphia in the 18th century.

Justin Green
12-20-2014, 1:12 PM
Fidel,

That is what I had considered doing given all my tools are geared for straight work. I had seen that done on a smaller scale for a lamb's tongue. More clean up than a bow saw it seems.

Steve Voigt
12-20-2014, 2:12 PM
Mack Headley shows one historic method using hand saws in the Colonial Williamsburg video entitled "The Cabinetmaker".

Zach, I'm not finding a listing for that. Is the full title "The art and mystery of a cabinetmaker crafting a card table"?

I remember Bob R. talking about seeing the guys at Williamsburg do most of the work with a chisel, bevel down.

The kerfing method in the video looks awfully slow to me.

Justin Green
12-20-2014, 3:24 PM
Will be searching for turning saw recommendations. I wonder if the 12" bow saw is large enough to cut curves in 12/4 stock?

Tony Wilkins
12-20-2014, 3:57 PM
Look up Logan's Cabinet Shop on Youtube (or his blog) and you'll find him doing Cabrio legs on the Porriger (sp?) tea table series. Pretty good straight forward explanation.

george wilson
12-20-2014, 5:22 PM
Real men chop them out with hatchets.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-20-2014, 6:22 PM
Look up Logan's Cabinet Shop on Youtube (or his blog) and you'll find him doing Cabrio legs on the Porriger (sp?) tea table series. Pretty good straight forward explanation.

This video particularly picks up on the leg shaping after dressing the stock and cutting the mortises:

http://youtu.be/whOisUSxGhc

I haven't made a cabriole leg, but my initial instinct was that in-cannel gouges working cross-grain would be the quickest, but I may just be trying to justify the larger ones I purchased.

Zach Dillinger
12-20-2014, 6:55 PM
Zach, I'm not finding a listing for that. Is the full title "The art and mystery of a cabinetmaker crafting a card table"?

I remember Bob R. talking about seeing the guys at Williamsburg do most of the work with a chisel, bevel down.

The kerfing method in the video looks awfully slow to me.

Thats the one.

Justin Green
12-20-2014, 7:39 PM

Mr. Wilson, I half expected to find a video of Saint Underhill chopping some cabriole legs with some form of farm implement. But, I did not find a video of him making any cabriole legs. I have seen a video where he cut a set of dovetails with a dull garden hoe, however.

Jim Matthews
12-20-2014, 8:46 PM
Rusty, sturdy and dull hatchets.

Justin Green
12-20-2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks, Tony! Just what I was needing!

Winton Applegate
12-21-2014, 5:15 PM
Some times a home shop woodworker has got to do what a home shop woodworker has got to do.

ha, ha
Some lumber jacks might use this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj68IfePfPI)
Go at least half way in the video to the Whaler and then the Lumber Jack. This tool is my latest passion.
George did you carry one of these when you were in Alaska ?

Justin,
For you I'm picturing some rig you could make up as a spring pole bow saw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmEHuTgtcvw) (yes larger than 12")

Better yet explain to your wife how you are going to sell the car and buy a Laguna bandsaw.
You won't regret it. (getting the Laguna that is) (after you get out of traction resulting from your wife's response to your declaration). It is TOTALLY worth doing what ever you need to do to get the bandsaw.
No pain
no gain
I'm pulling for ya
We are all in this together.

Justin Green
12-21-2014, 9:56 PM
I have a 1970's model Marples 12" turning saw on its way as we speak. I've always lusted after a band saw, but that's not the direction I'm headed. All hand tools for me. I'll spend the difference on some spare blades and lots of lumber!

Winton Applegate
12-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Lots of lumber is good !:)
You have done lots of resawing by hand then? And know what you are getting into ? And like it that way ? :eek:
I thought I would as well.:rolleyes:
Nah dude, nah.:o

signed,
electron addict
(I only use a few, when I need them, to get me through the tough patches, weak character I guess) (I can quit any time) ( I'll use them just once more and then never again).

OK I ADMIT IT !
I LIKE USING MY BANDSAW !
(there . . . I said it)

PS: see photos . . . come on . . . you know you want to use electrons too try just a little.
Ha, ha all kidding aside
:cool: PPS: see photos . . . I have done this by hand but in all honesty I can not recommend it.

Winton Applegate
12-22-2014, 12:36 AM
giving me an excuse to hunt for one (a bow saw)

PPPPPS: aaaaaaahh (you could make one).
Here is a quick and dirty that I made. Works great. I am sure your's would look better than mine.

I am also including a photo of my resaw frame. See last photo. Works great !
If you have two people.
How patient is your significant other ?
Mine just loves my bandsaw now that I got it.
Ha, ha.

Justin Green
12-22-2014, 8:52 AM
Wow, that's a large saw! I wouldn't use this one for re-sawing, just for larger curves a coping saw is too small to do. Most of what I've built to date has required no re-sawing... I'll cross that bridge when I get there :)

george wilson
12-22-2014, 9:27 AM
Actually,the gunsmiths in Williamsburg use hatchets for roughing out gunstocks. It was done that way in the old days. The stock would be profiled with a bow saw,then hatcheted down to where rasps and other tools could be used.

Nice job of resawing,Winton.

Prashun Patel
12-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Surprised nobody's mentioned a drawknife. They're quite versatile and efficient for stock removal. Harder to sharpen than they are to use.

Winton Applegate
12-23-2014, 12:16 AM
Nice job of resawing,Winton.

I wish I could take some credit for it . . .

in reality the Laguna system : guides, resaw blade and overall robustness of even their inexpensive saw is the hero here.
I just put some tension on the blade, not much actually, and push wood through it.

Winton Applegate
12-23-2014, 12:34 AM
Most of what I've built to date has required no re-sawing
Then you are more than likely paying too much for your wood. Price drops off when you start buying eight quarter planks and the quality (figure and stability) can, I find, be quite a bit better.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there

You're there. I would be so bold as to say that if you are in this forum . . . you're there.