PDA

View Full Version : New to turning and the forum

Jim Flynn
12-19-2014, 11:27 PM
First off I'd like to thank you for your tips and techniques that I have enjoyed reading on the forum or seeing on YouTube. I've been turning about 7 months. So, a little about myself:

I am a long time woodworker and a new turner. I've been building cabinets and furniture for over 20 years and have amassed a huge pile of shorts that I just couldn't find a use for and hated to throw away. My wife is a glass artist and she approached me in May and said that she wanted to combine wood and glass together in a collaboration. I thought, "This is perfect... I always wanted a lathe!" Her desire was to make platters that she could inset her glass art in as cheeseboards. So that's how I got started. Bought a Nova 1624 lathe and a Sorby starter set, a few books and a lot of YouTube and Creek lurking and got started.

I have learned mostly by watching on the web and reading some excellent books and articles and feel like I am a solid novice in faceplate turned platters and shallow bowls. Here is some of my work and my wife and my collaborations.

Hard Maple 14" x 3" shallow bowl. As with every piece there are lessons to be learned. This was a challenging test of my gouge skills as the wavy and partially spalted grain showed me how much practice I needed. Perseverance and lots of sharpening won out though and my gouge skill improved a ton on this piece.

302351 302349302350

Here are several of the collaborations with my wife. I do the wood and she does the glass....

These are all 14-16" in diameter (other than #4 which is 9 inches) and the thickness ranges from 1-2". All were turned from left overs of kiln dried lumber (walnut, maple, and cherry). Sanded from 120-800 grit and finished with Odies Oil.

C&C welcome.

Thanks,

Jim Flynn

Brian Brown
12-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Very nice pieces, and welcome to the forum. I wish I had a lot of shorts that pretty. I like your bowl, and I really like the cheese platters. The glass goes nicely. It's really nice having your spouse involved in a common hobby. Mine really gets into the turning, but best of all, she likes to shop for pretty wood, and she is good at finding it. :) Good luck, and we want to see more of your work. We are definitely a picture kind of group.

Jim Flynn
12-20-2014, 8:53 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I love your signature block... Well done.

Doug W Swanson
12-20-2014, 9:15 AM
Welcome to the Vortex! Your pieces are beautiful and like Brian said, we like pictures!

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2014, 9:38 AM
Jim - Welcome to the Creek! Beautiful work on everything - especially that hard maple bowl - just love the wood! Looking forward to seeing more of your collaborations!