PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Granite issues still, Think I will go with no paint fill now

Bernie Fraser
12-19-2014, 9:45 PM

So I got the go ahead to engrave the tile on the right this morning. I had sealed it with the granite sealer, let it dry and then engraved. After engraving I took it to the sink and washed the dust off so it would not scratch the granite on Bills advice ( Thanks Bill ). Then when dry I rub the titanium white paint in and buff it off it but it appears that the paint fills little spots in my engraved photo. Sorry I did not take photos of this as I was panicking and wanted to get the paint off so I hit it with some turps and got rid of the paint. I then cleaned it up and let it dry and hit it with the NU Finish car polish. I was concerned the polish was really going to darken up my image and it did but then when it dried out it lightened up again and I think I am OK with it the way it is (No flash used on the photo). On the left is a previous tile I have used white paint on and no paint on the right. The photo used for the soldier was taken off Facebook where someone in the UK had photographed a framed picture so the quality in the original was not there to start with. I am still trying to get a process where I can get consistent results and at this stage I think I will stick with the no paint option only because if I use the paint for some reason I run into issues of the white specks but it does not appear to happen all the time. I will try and do a sample later on and upload here so you can see what I am talking about as I have no idea why it does it

Mayo Pardo
12-21-2014, 7:20 PM
Real granite is pitted. Even with sealer, paint is bound to fill these small pits. If you intend to color fill or use paint, I think masking (transfer tape) will eliminate this problem.

Bernie Fraser
12-21-2014, 8:16 PM
Real granite is pitted. Even with sealer, paint is bound to fill these small pits. If you intend to color fill or use paint, I think masking (transfer tape) will eliminate this problem.

Thanks Mayo,
I can engrave the same image on two pieces of granite and the white specks are only visible in one piece after paint filling so grain structure would make sense. Also the fact that the image I am engraving is not a bright white for example in the soldiers face it is a Gray color and the White specs stand out in this area. From now on I will see how I go without the paint fill and maybe just do some more work in the photo prep part to achieve acceptable results. Will give it a try anyway. Thanks for your advice