PDA

View Full Version : Silent air compresor

Keith Colson
12-19-2014, 7:53 PM
I purchased a new air compressor yesterday. Wow, what a difference. It is a super silent oil-less dental air compressor. It is only rated for 5cfm but for normal laser work it gives a 60% on duty cycle which is in spec.

I can now talk to customers with out being drowned out by the two piston belt drive air compressor I have been running. The air cooling on the laser cutter is actually the nosiest part of my set up now. My extraction is also quiet as I have ducted it all in rigid and the blower is outside.

Good days
Keith

Dave Sheldrake
12-19-2014, 8:34 PM
It's a Jun-wei Keith :)

The multi head versions are amazing to use, on the multi heads they kick in one motor (two pistons) at a time so no huge spike on the electrics, I have one fitted to each of my machines and as yet running 18 hour days I have had no problems in two years.

I have 13 of these in the works and at 16 cfm never run short of air although the models with built in dryers tend to be a little twitchy

cheers

Dave

PS make sure you keep the inlet filter clean or they can overheat as the system is oil-less

Keith Colson
12-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Dave

That's a lot of kit you have there. You must churn through a pile of work. I am just a one man band working out of the garage which suits my lifestyle

As far as I know they don't have pistons and that's why they are quiet. The guy at the shop that sold mine to me said that it utilises an air screw and that's what makes it quiet. I hope I never have to pull it apart to find out.

I will keep an eye on that filter. I have an air dryer as a separate unit.

Cheers
Keith

Rich Harman
12-20-2014, 12:01 AM
The guy at the shop that sold mine to me said that it utilises an air screw and that's what makes it quiet.

The picture looks a lot like my Gast, which uses twin rocking pistons - the connecting rod and piston are one unit. As far as I know you will only find air screw compressors in much larger equipment.

Keith Colson
12-20-2014, 2:59 AM
You guys are both right, it is a direct drive dual piston, I looked at the parts drawing. I didn't know a piston compressor could be so quiet. I learnt something today, thanks

Cheers
Keith

Dave Sheldrake
12-20-2014, 7:39 AM
I think they are Chinese "versions" of the Gast Rich, the pistons in mine are a type of resin or plastic by the look of them, grab some spares as well Keith, they are dead cheap direct from Jun's (inlet filters are around a $1 a go)

My main air supply is a screw compressor, really quiet but start at much bigger sizes, I had a comp-air but that went bang so now have a broomwade screw unit (they work the same way as Mercedes "Kompressors",super chargers)

I am just a one man band working out of the garage which suits my lifestyle

believe me there are some days that would suit me too my friend ;)

cheers

Dave

Frank barry
12-21-2014, 5:30 AM
sounds great what price and where are the sold ?

Keith Colson
12-21-2014, 7:51 AM
Hi Frank

It was about 500NZD so that's about 400USD

Cheers
Keith

Frank barry
12-21-2014, 8:31 AM
cheers thanks

Dave Sheldrake
12-21-2014, 9:34 AM
Frank, Have a look at the forums and you will see the guys at Titan, they do them for over here :)

same machines (that's what mine are branded as *titan*) all made by Jun-wei

cheers

Dave

Frank barry
12-21-2014, 9:38 AM
thanks Dave I will have a look