PDA

View Full Version : Question for Rockler Dovetail Jig Owners

Johnnyy Johnson
12-18-2014, 6:14 PM
I am new to cutting dovetails. With this jig, can I make the tail board 1/2 and the pin board 3/4 for a drawer box? Through dovetails..

Thanks for any help
Johnny

Mike Cutler
12-18-2014, 9:26 PM
Johnny

I don't have the Rockler Jig, but it is essentially a clone of my Porter Cable, so I'm going to say that yes, you can do what you want to do.
You will have to do all of either the pins, or the tails, for the entire project first, and then do the other. If at all possible, beg, borrow, buy, or steal, a second router, because you don't want to have to realign the jig and the router when you change bits.
Make sure that you mill sacrificial stock, exactly the same thickness dimensions as your tail and pin boards for setup. You're going to waste some wood setting up the jig.

Lee Schierer
12-19-2014, 7:50 AM
I've never tried it, but i don't see why you couldn't use 2 different thickness pieces if you make the length of cut on the horizontal board long enough. My jig is an older one and I've only been able to make half blind dovetails with mine, which is fine for what I want to do. It appears that if you used a longer dovetail bit that you would hit the steel base plate on the horizontal board if you tried to cut the slots all the way through.

Johnnyy Johnson
12-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks Guys...Mike, I have 2 fixed adj. and one plunge router. For this project I think I will stick to the same size pcs for the drawer boxes. Going to start learning the through cuts today. I did some test half blinds a couple months ago. Also, over 10 years ago I bough a Leigh 24" and never got around to using it. Some parts missing. Once I learn the 12" jig I will take that knowledge and get out the Leigh for larger projects.
Thanks
Johnny