PDA

View Full Version : Tools For Joyner Que.

Stan Smith
12-18-2014, 4:45 PM
Hi. I'm just getting started using the Joyner offset jig. Many thanks to Ruth Niles for all of the useful info she provides with a jig purchase. I see on various videos that turners are using a skew to add decorative cuts to pendants. I'm wondering if any others have used any carbide tools for these cuts such as the Easy Woods and/or Harrison detailer tools. Thanks for any info.

Stan

Andy Pogue
12-18-2014, 5:10 PM
I just got Rockler's detail tool (needed to use a gift certificate) and it did ok for that. I moved jig too far and it didn't look good, but the cut was decent.

Dale Gillaspy
12-18-2014, 7:33 PM
yes, you can use EWT or just about anything for those.

Tim Rinehart
12-18-2014, 8:06 PM
Yes you can use pretty much any tool, and I've been playing off and on with one of the jigs for several months now.
The one thing I'll say about using a scraping type tool like an Easy tool is that you will encounter a higher likelihood of tear out if it isn't a dense hard wood, in most cases. I've found a detail spindle gouge provides a nice clean cut when held at nearly a 90 deg tool rotation.

Stan Smith
12-18-2014, 9:35 PM
Thanks very much, guys. I'm just doing a test piece now even though it's a piece of claro walnut--with a natural crack in the rim. I've got some corian scraps to use, but I'm going to put some maple on to experiment with. If you've got the dvd that Ruth Niles provides, there's a spreadsheet on their that has more settings that I'll ever use and probably some that I might not even figure out how to do. I'm waiting for a piece of color wood to get here from CSUSA.

Tim: That's a very unique piece that you have shared. Nice job with the inlays!

Tim Rinehart
12-18-2014, 9:40 PM
I did a demo for one of our clubs, and showing folks the power of that spreadsheet was an eye opener. Using it will allow much more predictable and repeatable results. This is a pattern I've used several times, and uses the spreadsheet to keep track of settings for offset hole and index position.
its fun stuff once you get a few under your belt.

Stan Smith
12-19-2014, 3:40 PM
You are right about the spreadsheet, Tim. It does keep all the numbers straight for us. I'm going to use Pattern #6 for my next pendant.

I finished my first one today out of claro walnut. Well actually, it's a test piece since it was my very first try. I started to use the Harrison detailer for the groove but didn't like it. I went to a small skew and got a nice cut. Just making a few parallel cuts, I was not sure which hole to use or where to position the skew on the tool rest. I used the #7 hole for the cord hole so I tried that for the grooves, too. I'm not satisfied with the setup I used so I need to make some more test pieces. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks!