PDA

View Full Version : Plaster as a Grain Filler??

Matthew Poeller
07-19-2005, 6:00 PM
Ok I have been searching for four days now. I seem to remember in the not so distant past that I read an article that you can use plaster and tung oil as a finish. The plaster acts as a grain filler and the tung oil turns the plaster clear. I know that I read this in one of my magazines. This has sparked me to first organize all of them. Then I proceded to search through each of them to no avail as well as doing web searches on all of the magazines that I subscribe too.

The list of magazines are:
Fine Woodworking
Shop Notes
Woodsmith
Wood
Workbench
This Old House
A few Stray Woodcraft
Money - Don't think it is in here.
Make - Wouldn't be in here either but if you are an electronics dork like me this is an amazing magazine.

Please help me!!!
The only one that I cannot find is Workbench issue 288. My guess is that with my luck it is in here.

Thank you for you help....

Matthew Poeller

Jim Becker
07-19-2005, 6:10 PM
The teak table I have in our kitchen eating area originally had plaster-based filler in some natural cracks. (The 54" top is only two boards) It had been applied and then colored to match the original finish. This top was originally from Viet Nam in the mid 1960s and was made by hand. (It still has the rough saw marks on the bottom)

Theoretically, you could dye the plaster before using it as filler, but that would be pretty tough from a color matching standpoint since things change as you move through the finishing regimen.

Roger Everett
07-19-2005, 6:11 PM
Matthew:
That's in FWW #177 June 2005 , in the back of the mag. last 2 pages , pgs. 121-122.
Roger

Michael Ballent
07-19-2005, 6:29 PM
Matthew:
That's in FWW #177 June 2005 , in the back of the mag. last 2 pages , pgs. 121-122.
Roger

You beat me to it :D

Frank Hagan
07-19-2005, 6:29 PM
Matthew:
Roger

Yep, same article has a technique for using 4F pumice and BLO as a grain filler, a technique I will try (right after Homestead Finishing delivers the pound of Behlen's 4F pumice I ordered today!)

Matthew Poeller
07-19-2005, 8:02 PM
I am telling you that I was going nuts trying to find that. Now that my magazines are organized it was very easy to find it. Thanks again.

Dennis Peacock
07-19-2005, 8:07 PM
I am telling you that I was going nuts trying to find that. Now that my magazines are organized it was very easy to find it. Thanks again.

Magazines. Organized? Now THAT's and idea!!!! :p :D

Kelly C. Hanna
07-19-2005, 9:39 PM
Organized magazines....that's an oxymoron...:D:D:D

Steve Clardy
07-19-2005, 9:44 PM
Magazines. Organized? Now THAT's and idea!!!! :p :D

Most of mine get organized to file 13 after the wife gets tired of moving them.

Matthew Poeller
07-20-2005, 1:22 PM
I do not have a wife yet but the girlfriend has already stated that I cannot keep most of them when we move in together. I think that I will just hide them. Organized, well they are more organized than before. They are in file boxes in binders and organized by date. So it is better than the 2 foot stack that I had on my floor.

Chris Padilla
07-20-2005, 1:36 PM
Matthew,

May I suggest a new girlfriend??? ;) BTW, I wonder if spackle could work as well? I have used spackle in the past to fill in end-grain and plywood edges on projects needing painting. However, I haven't used it when something might need stained or poly'ed....

Lee DeRaud
07-20-2005, 2:45 PM
May I suggest a new girlfriend??? ;) BTW, I wonder if spackle could work as well?Spackle has 101 uses, but it's no substitute for a decent girlfriend.:cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
07-20-2005, 6:21 PM
As we say here in Texas Matt...That ain't right!!

You need to tell her what's up before the ring goes on or she'll need directions to the nearest interstate! :D

Frank Hagan
07-20-2005, 8:10 PM
Matthew,

May I suggest a new girlfriend??? ;) BTW, I wonder if spackle could work as well? I have used spackle in the past to fill in end-grain and plywood edges on projects needing painting. However, I haven't used it when something might need stained or poly'ed....

I don't think spackle will work ... the trick with both the plaster of paris and the pumice is that they turn translucent when the BLO is applied. I suspect spackle will remain white!