PDA

View Full Version : Need help with jig design

Tim Boger
12-17-2014, 3:41 PM
Hey Guys,

My preference is Segmented Turning and I have been looking around for ideas to build a table saw jig to help me cut the 15 degree star points (pic)

I have an Incra 5000 that works great for the regular segments but I figured there must me something more specific to help with the type of angles I need here, their also kind of small pieces at around 2" x 3/4" 302216

If you have a picture or a link to something you think will help me I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tim

Greg Sznajdruk
01-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Have a look at this site. They have videos and plans for a segment sled.

http://www.segeasy.com/wedgies.htm

Greg

Bob Coates
01-09-2015, 7:34 PM
Here are three possibilities that I would try if I had a lot of these to do, both would require experimentation.
1) make a jig the will cut twelve segments to make a ring. In your drawing the diagonals would be the center of the segment that I am envision. When happy with the fit, then make a jig that back cuts from center of the outside edge to middle of segment leg. Reverse to cut the other side. This again will require experiment to get it perfect.
2) cut 24 segments and cut from a corner of outside to middle of opposite side.
3) cut to triangles(segments) and glue ends -- might be easy -- glue up tricky.

Good luck
Bob

Tim Boger
01-09-2015, 8:43 PM
Have a look at this site. They have videos and plans for a segment sled.

http://www.segeasy.com/wedgies.htm

Greg

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the link to SegEasy, lots of great info there.

Tim Boger
01-09-2015, 8:45 PM
Here are three possibilities that I would try if I had a lot of these to do, both would require experimentation.
1) make a jig the will cut twelve segments to make a ring. In your drawing the diagonals would be the center of the segment that I am envision. When happy with the fit, then make a jig that back cuts from center of the outside edge to middle of segment leg. Reverse to cut the other side. This again will require experiment to get it perfect.
2) cut 24 segments and cut from a corner of outside to middle of opposite side.
3) cut to triangles(segments) and glue ends -- might be easy -- glue up tricky.

Good luck
Bob

Hey Bob,

I'll be printing out your ideas and working with them this weekend, thank you for your suggestions.

Tim