PDA

View Full Version : Router table upgrade HELP!!

Dick Heifner
07-19-2005, 3:04 PM
Hi All,
A few years back at woodworking show I bought a small router table top
and I was planning to use it as a table top router. I now want to use it for like an insert for a larger router table. The size is 30" wide x 16" deep and already has the insert cut out and a phenolic mounting plate for it. This is the table top that Oak Park from canada sells.
How would I would I make a larger table to insert this into? :confused:
Thanks,
Dick

Donnie Raines
07-19-2005, 3:49 PM
If there is an insert, I would remove the insert and cut out a recess in a larger top....that you build.

So, for exmaple, if the plate is 12x12 then you would need to make an opening that will allow you to recess the plate into. You would need to subtract the size of the lip you want to cut for the plate to sit on, also the bearing(to make the cut) and blade size need to be accounted for.....let say subtract 3/8 for the lip and bearing....and thats from each side. Then you could cut out the opening for the plate and then route in the lip for the plate to sit flush in. OR, you could(on scrap) make a jig to use with your router that will allow you to cut out the opening, then switch bearing sizes on the cut out bit to route the lip.

Sounds crazy....I no....but a few scraps latter and you will have it fitting like a glove. :cool:

Don Baer
07-19-2005, 4:19 PM
Get two pieces of Sheet goods the same thickness as the existing top but with the overall demesnions the size of the new table top that you want. Cut a hole in one of them to match the existing top and cut a hole in the other slightly smaller then the exising top sanwich them together and your done.

Chris Padilla
07-19-2005, 4:34 PM
Hi Dick,

I assume you went to the yearly show in Sac-town? :) One visit there last year cost me about 6 grand! :eek: Hint: stay away from the MiniMax booth.... ;)

Basically, when you want to inset something smaller into something larger and do it very clean and crisply (like for a router table), you will need a straight-cutting router bit (or a few of these) that can take an assortment of different-sized bearings. This kind of bit is usually known as either a flush cutting bit (i.e. when the bearing is the same size as the cutters) or a pattern-cutting bit. The bearing may either be on the top or the bottom of the bit.

You can then use the already existing hole for the plate as a pattern or guide to cut you a new hole in something else. However, you need to think about it a little bit to make sure you have the correct-sized bearings. There will absolutely be a relationship between the diameter of your cutting bit and the diameter(s) of your bearings and how you "get back" to a correctly-sized hole for the router plate to fit snugly into.

If you are lucky, see if the company who made your router plate has a template you can purchase that will make it easy for you to cut out another hole. I would do this first. If not, you'll have to make your own using the existing hole and it will involve several steps and some head scratching (i.e. sit down with a piece of paper and a calculator and draw things out).

Norman Hitt
07-19-2005, 8:35 PM
Dick, why not just make another top the size you want it and then since the "Router Workshop" top is only 3/4" thick, and easily removeable, just clamp it onto the new top and use it for your pattern to cut the hole and rabbeted ledge for the mounting plate).

By using an appropriately sized guide bushing (to run in the rabbet for the mounting plate that is in the Router Workshop top), and the appropriate size upcut spiral bit, cut out the hole that goes all the way through the new top. Next, Remove the Router Workshop top from the new table top and using the appropriate sized rabbet bit and bearing combination, (with the bit depth set to the thickness of the phenolic mounting plate), cut out the rabbet around the top edge to "inlet" the mounting plate, (note here: be sure the rabbet bit has the same radius as the curved corners of the mounting plate).

By doing this, you will still have the original top that you could use with another router & mounting plate at times when you need to rout something, but don't want to take down OR disturb your "SET UP" on your Big router table. The other thing is that it would be just as easy to do this as to match up the larger table top to your smaller top.

Good Luck

PS: I would suggest doing this first on a scrap piece of MDF and then check the fit of the mounting plate. This will allow you to get the right sizes and combinations of bits, guides and bearings matched up properly before making the cut on the new top.

Dick Heifner
07-20-2005, 1:18 PM
Hi guy's,
All of your suggestions sound great, I'll play around with them and see which one works best.

Thank's very much,
Dick

John Stevens
07-20-2005, 2:14 PM
I second the suggestions made by Don, Donnie Norman. I've made a couple of router table tops with cutouts to fit my shop-made acrylic plate, and it's pretty easy if you use an "inlay" router bit like this:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=2280&FamilyID=1391