PDA

View Full Version : Bosch handheld planer use

David Ragan
12-17-2014, 7:43 AM
It is not in front of me, but I believe is the two bladed model, corded.

I did use about a year ago out on the driveway to take the edge off a builtup plywood slab-awkward (read dangerous) but worked great.

Also, I tried to use to the designed purpose on a wide mahogany panel, but wound up putting layers of masking tape on the infeed side to thin out the shaving-didnt work.

To me, the above two things are how it is useful. Anybody have any luck on getting a fine shaving with it? Am i asking too much of the German engineers here?

Rich Engelhardt
12-17-2014, 8:52 AM
I have a GMC version & it's a toss up as to what can do more damage in a short time - the power plane or a 12 ga pump :D.

I was using mine to skim off a layer of paint from some 50 year old shellacked plywood cabinet doors that had been painted. Things were going great until the cord snagged and the plane's edge dug in and it went sideways. :( .

Since it was working to remove a thin layer of paint and leaving the thin veneer of the plywood intact, I'd have to say the things are capable of taking a thin bite.
@ least the GMC one is, I bet the Bosch can too since it's a better tool.

Matt Day
12-17-2014, 9:26 AM
I have the HF version and it can go down to not cutting at all to a pretty big bite. I've used it successfully for trimming old doors that stick.

David Ragan
12-17-2014, 11:13 AM
I guess it is too big to use as a door stop:).

Has anyone found a way to alter the tool to make thinner cuts?

Does anyone want to brag about their Festool handheld planer?