PDA

View Full Version : Laser Purchase #2

Bill George
12-16-2014, 8:25 PM
Gee, all of a sudden business is picking up, anyway thinking about another machine in a month or so. Been thinking about the Rabbit, and the one LightObject sells one about the same size 600x400 or so. Wanting a RECI tube and thinking 60 watts is enough.

But a LaserPro Mercury II 30 watt M-30 machine came up. Tube outputs about 35 watts and of course this is a Synrad tube and servo motor system. Also has the looks to be never used rotary attachment. Been around long enough using CNC and of course the present China made laser.

The LaserPro seems to have mostly good reviews, or am I missing something? BTW the price is very good on this used machine and the seller is willing to let me try out.

Dave Sheldrake
12-16-2014, 8:39 PM
Hard call Bill, The Synrad in theory is more reliable and will punch above it's weight (Rf tubes are about 30% better watt for watt) so a good 35 watt output RF will do anything a DC 60 watt will do (except GSi etc but that's academic)

You will be out of luck with a RECI 60 watt, they don't make them, their lowest fatbody tube is an 80 watt, EFR do a very good 60 watt though (thin body but very reliable and great beam profile)

My only concern with second hand RF units is if they have problems those problems are usually VERY expensive to fix compared to Chinese, it may be a great buy and in fine condition but I'd want to be sure first, not so much because of the cost to buy but ending up with a dead RF can be a nightmare. Ignore the claims of 30,000 hour tube life for RF units, yes, they can do that and more BUT they can also die in 100 hours or less.If it does figure on $1,000 to get the unit going again if it's a gasser.

The bigger HX machines (RabbitlaserUSA) are nothing like the cheaper Chinese units, a lot more reliable, better build quality and overall great value. Of all the Chinese makes the only ones I rate these days are HX and Jinan Jinquan, my opinion of Weike has dropped, drastically (or at least their after sales) of late and unless something changes very soon that's not likely to change.
I've only had a couple of Shenhui machines, can't fault them, bit *mechanical* but overall pretty good.

So like I say my friend...hard call to make if the RF box is good money

cheers

Dave

Bill George
12-16-2014, 9:26 PM
So a 30 watt RF tube (I know RF as a Ham) is equal to a 60 watt glass tube? And the servo motors instead of steppers lets you take advantage of more output? I don't need or want to cut 1/2 (13mm ) wood or acrylic but I would like to run faster.

Mike Null
12-17-2014, 6:55 AM
Bill

I have a bias against Chinese machines so that'll quickly tell you which way I'm going on this. There are a large number of Laser Pro, Pinnacle, GCC machines out there and they've been performing pretty reliably over all. If the price is right and your tests show it to be in good condition that would be my choice.

To Dave's point, you might call Photovac to see how much a tube rebuild would cost. http://photovaclaser.com/