PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Stanley #50.

John Padgett
12-16-2014, 8:09 PM
Hey. Finally got a #50. I paid about $100 for it. You all think I did OK on the price? I am not a collector, strictly a user so it won’t hurt me if I paid too much. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Haven’t received it yet. It was shipped today. Would like to hear some thoughts.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-16-2014, 9:43 PM
Sweet deal! Looks complete too.

Daniel Rode
12-16-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm no expert on combo planes but I've been watching them closely for a few months. IMO, $100 for a complete #50 in what looks like excellent condition is a score. I am green with envy!

Harold Burrell
12-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Yeah. You suck.

Jim Koepke
12-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Yeah. You suck.

And you can't deny it.

That does look collector grade. I wouldn't blink at that price.

As Daniel said it looks to be complete. Looks like there is a beading stop mounted in the slide and it has the fat head bold for the 1/8 & 3/16" blades.

You will likely have great joy in giving it a little wear and bringing it into the world of a user grade tool.

I only have a few blades for mine and use it for plowing 1/4" grooves more than a #45.

The only down side to having a full set of blades from the start is they all are likely to need a sharpening.

jtk

Joe Tilson
12-17-2014, 8:59 AM
John,
You did very well.
Can I stop by on my way to the old home town of Erwin, TN to look at it some day?
I promise to just look, but don't turn your head.:eek:

Judson Green
12-17-2014, 9:26 AM
Pretty nice you'll have to fill us in when you get it in your hands.

John Padgett
12-17-2014, 10:56 AM
I thought it was a good deal when I saw it, but no one was bidding on it. I was afraid people were seeing something in the pic that I was not. Thanks for the input. I will post again when it gets here. Joe you can stop by anytime.

John Padgett
12-17-2014, 11:01 AM
John,
You did very well.
Can I stop by on my way to the old home town of Erwin, TN to look at it some day?
I promise to just look, but don't turn your head.:eek:

Hey Joe. You can stop by anytime. Just let me know and I will give you some directions. We go to Erwin a lot. It is about 30 minutes from my house. My wife has family there.

Jim Koepke
12-17-2014, 11:52 AM
I thought it was a good deal when I saw it, but no one was bidding on it. I was afraid people were seeing something in the pic that I was not.

Some of my best ebay deals came with that feeling. I think this time of year a lot of people have their minds on other things.

I looked at it after your post and there were more pictures of the box than anything else.

I would be surprised of the seller wasn't expecting more 'collector' bids. They likely didn't bid because of all the tape on the box.

A lot of users probably want a later model with the blade adjusting lever.

jtk

John Padgett
12-17-2014, 9:47 PM
I didn't notice it doesn't have an adjuster. How do you adjust it? Like a wooden plane?

Jim Koepke
12-17-2014, 11:19 PM
I didn't notice it doesn't have an adjuster. How do you adjust it? Like a wooden plane?

Sorry, I missed on this one. The last picture in the sequence shows what I thought was part of the fence to be an adjuster.

On my old #45 and my #50 I have gotten good at just moving them a little bit with my fingers.

Looks like you will not have to learn that technique.

jtk

Joe Tilson
12-18-2014, 11:02 AM
John,
We may be going up in about a week, but maybe right after Christmas. Thanks for the invite. Do you mind to tell me who your wife's family is?

John Padgett
12-18-2014, 2:17 PM
John,
We may be going up in about a week, but maybe right after Christmas. Thanks for the invite. Do you mind to tell me who your wife's family is?

It's Bill and Brenda Ponder. And Vicky and Tom Lowe.

John Padgett
12-19-2014, 5:02 PM
Got the plane today. Felt like I went back in time and bought a new tool. The box is perfect other than the tape strip around the center.

The blades have never been touched, the gunk from the factory is still on each one.

The little parts bag and original tag.

The nickers have not been removed.

I cannot believe no one bid on this plane. It is in perfect mint condition. I do not believe it was even taken out of the box other than to take pics of it.

Andy J Smith
12-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Nice buy! Did it come from the UK? I think thats the one I was bidding on it till we left for vacation and saw that it had gone above my max bid when we got back. I definitely would have paid what it went for :)