PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have/use their Rotozip

David Ragan
12-16-2014, 3:50 PM
I have a Rotozip that I rarely use. Was just reading the great thread on the trim router, and thought to ask this question.....I have it, and some cool looking bits-what is it good for? Of course, when I bought it, I had to have it.

Doug Herzberg
12-16-2014, 3:59 PM
I have the Dremel version. I bought it to cut in electrical boxes in drywall, but if you don't do it every day, it isn't as easy as it looks. I also have used it to cut odd openings in ceramic tile, but the ceramic bits are expensive and wear quickly. If I can use a diamond hole saw or diamond grinder wheel, I prefer those tools for tile.

Larry Edgerton
12-16-2014, 4:59 PM
I have two, corded and cordless. That being said I have never used them for anything other than drywall.

Larry

Rick Potter
12-16-2014, 5:04 PM
I have used mine with a diamond straight bit, to grind deadbolt locking plates, when they needed just a bit more room to work freely. A fiberglass bit is handy to have around fiberglass tubs, shower surrounds, and sinks. Grout cutting and drywall also.

Mine's a DeWalt.

Bill Clifton
12-16-2014, 8:13 PM
I have used mine for numerous things - cutting sheetrock, trimmed the length on bolts, buffed, etc. That being said it is now whining severely - not a real tool, but it served the purpose for awhile. I buy something larger next time.

Dave Anthony
12-16-2014, 8:25 PM
I've used mine to cut in electrical boxes in drywall. Works fine for rough construction; if you're adding an outlet or switch in a finished space it makes a huge mess. For finished spaces I prefer a keyhole saw, haven't used the Rotozip for years.

Bill McNiel
12-16-2014, 8:49 PM
Recessed light fixture and outlet openings in drywall. That's what it was designed for and that is all I've ever used it for.

Stan Calow
12-16-2014, 9:18 PM
I tried to cut some HVAC duct work once, and gave up. Used it for outlets in drywall too, but not for a few years now. Considering garage sale-ing it.

John Sanford
12-17-2014, 12:30 AM
I've used mine a fair bit to run roundover bits. Have to pay attention when doing it, because the "base" is flexible and you have to be careful with the orientation. I doubt if I'll use it much going forward now that I have a DW611 for edge work.

William C Rogers
12-17-2014, 5:27 AM
I bought one at an auction $30 with a bunch of bits. I have used it once for electrical. Seeing this thread I will use it to cut some holes in my drop ceiling for my DC pipe. Thanks for reminding me I have it.

David Ragan
12-17-2014, 7:32 AM
I used it once to carve off a piece of plywood that was too heavy to carry. Would I buy it again-no.

Dan Hunkele
12-17-2014, 9:04 AM
I acquired a 1/4 inch collet for mine and use it with die grinder bits and cut off wheels.

Rich Engelhardt
12-17-2014, 9:06 AM
I used mine to flush cut drywall around windows and doors on a basement remodel & to cut out a couple of electrical boxes.
A few years later, I hooked the wood cutting wheel attachment up and used it to enlarge a sink opening in the kitchen.

It worked very well for those jobs & I was glad I had it - especially for the sink since the only other thing that would have worked would have been a very expensive Fein multifunction tool - this was prior to the patent expiration on that.

I also tried to use a wood cutting spiral bit to free hand part of the opening in my router table for the router plate. It sucked for that.

Overall - the things are in the same category of useful as a sliding compound miter saw, a biscuit joiner and a B&D Workmate.

Matt Day
12-17-2014, 9:22 AM
Overall - the things are in the same category of useful as a sliding compound miter saw, a biscuit joiner and a B&D Workmate.

Are you trying to start trouble Rich? ;-)

Mike Ontko
12-17-2014, 10:15 AM
My Rotozip sits in plastic bin storage until I lose my mind again and decide to remodel another house. I purchased it for cutting drywall around recessed light fixtures and electrical boxes. I've seen it used for cutting foam board, but that can create quite a mess. I wouldn't use it for anything but rough work, and it definitely takes practice to become profficient with it.

Wade Lippman
12-17-2014, 10:17 AM
I have a PC. I have used it (in addition to drywall cut outs) with cut off disks to remove steel wire from around tree balls, and to trim the thigh braces off my FG kayak.
Not much in 10 years. But all those jobs would have been much more difficult without it.

Rich Engelhardt
12-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Are you trying to start trouble Rich? ;-)LOL!
Not really! ;).

The Rotozip - like a SCMS, biscuit joiner & Workmate are all the same type of tools that you see someone use it and think to yourself - "Man, I have to have one of those"!.

Then when you get it, you find out there's a whole lot of other things, usually a whole lot cheaper, that can do as good or better a job.

Dave Anthony
12-17-2014, 2:02 PM

My biscuit joiner is pretty useless since I learned to use cauls for glue ups. Don't have an SCMS or Workmate, but a compound miter saw is mighty handy for molding & crown.

John McClanahan
12-17-2014, 2:34 PM
I use a Rotozip with a flex shaft daily at work, but work is not woodworking related.

I have and use 2 Workmates at home.

John

Larry Fox
12-17-2014, 4:14 PM
Recessed light fixture and outlet openings in drywall. That's what it was designed for and that is all I've ever used it for.

+1 Does a great job at this.

Doug Herzberg
12-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Overall - the things are in the same category of useful as a sliding compound miter saw, a biscuit joiner and a B&D Workmate. Then when you get it, you find out there's a whole lot of other things, usually a whole lot cheaper, that can do as good or better a job.

I have all three of these, including two Workmates hanging from the highest point in my barn, and don't use any of them much. The Workmates are different because they seem to be tools that other people think woodworkers need. Like the B&D battery operated "Crescent" wrench I found in my stocking one Christmas. To be fair, I bought the SCMS for a particular job, it was perfect for that job, and I haven't used it since.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-18-2014, 12:45 AM
I've got a rotozip, the hand grinder attachment is abysmal, the guard guarantees you're grinding blind! It does Sheetrock for electrical and siding and soffits for vents superb, though.

I think workmates are very useful. I've used one for a base for my Inca bandsaw for15-20 years, perfect height. I use another for quick bench mounting for other tools. A piece of plywood screwed to a 2x4 and you're done.

Brian Tymchak
12-18-2014, 8:17 AM

Hmm. I've used a SCMS sitting on a Workmate for years. If only I could somehow figure out how to use my biscuit joiner with that setup.. :)

David Ragan
12-18-2014, 8:25 AM
thanks for input.

That settles it. It is useful only for crude sheetrock, maybe ceramic/PVC work. Certainly not for any type of fine WW stuff or trim.

Rich Engelhardt
12-18-2014, 9:06 AM
I have all three of these, including two Workmates hanging from the highest point in my barn, and don't use any of them much. The Workmates are different because they seem to be tools that other people think woodworkers need.
Exactly - there's nothing useless about them - or a RotoZip or biscuit joiner or SCMS & they aren't a waste of money or anything, but, if hard pressed to find a real use for any of them, I always draw a blank!

Matt Meiser started this thread some time ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?193838-Workmate-what-is-it-good-for&highlight=workmate

I was going to jump right in and say what my Workmate is good for - but - mine is buried under a pile of junk in the garage. Every time I go to drag it out from under th pile of junk, I decide digging it out is too much work and use something else to support whatever it is I'm working on!

Jerome Stanek
12-18-2014, 9:38 AM
When I was installing CVS drug stores I used my 2 workmates, biscuit joiner and roto zip all the time. Now just the workmate great for clamping and as a work bench. one double as the table for my router

Raymond Fries
12-18-2014, 11:51 AM
I went through two of the diamond bits installing the 1500 sq ft of our porcelain tile floor. It was great for cutting pieces around doorways. It works great for cutting all-thread to length.

scott vroom
12-18-2014, 12:19 PM
I bought a rotozip years ago along with their diamond tile cutter bit.....which did a crappy job of cutting porcelain. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since. A waste of money.

For drywall cutouts I use a portable jig saw.

rudy de haas
12-18-2014, 1:14 PM
uh.. no?

About a year ago I needed to cut a small access hole in a piece of plywood that I just could not reach with the tools I had so i bought a rotozip at Home Depot for $89 or something like it. The first bit broke almost immediately and the second almost set the plywood on fire, but would not cut it. I took it back and eventually used a chisel to make the hole, but several months later I found an older (still made in the U.S!), heavier, model, unused and still in the original box at a garage sale. It cost me $10 - and if you find a use for it.. I'm willing to make a deal because it's still in that box. :)

Robert Parent
12-18-2014, 4:57 PM
I have a new one still in the box that someone gave me about 10 years ago..... I tried a friends to cut a electrical box into sheetrock,what a mess, dust everywhere. I use my Fein multitool for most of the things rotzip claims to be good at.

Robert

Bob Carreiro
12-18-2014, 5:15 PM
I own a couple. They're junk. Whatever they're best at, there are better tools to accomplish them. IMO, they're for the guy who doesn't know any better.

Steve Peterson
12-19-2014, 1:05 PM
I own a couple. They're junk. Whatever they're best at, there are better tools to accomplish them. IMO, they're for the guy who doesn't know any better.

That's funny. Why do you own several if they are junk and for the guy who doesn't know any better? :)

Steve

Erik Christensen
12-19-2014, 1:25 PM
I have one - I am a tool junkie - but on the useful tool scale it defines zero for me.

the only thing it really seems capable of is cutting holes in sheetrock but why anyone uses it for that is beyond me - it is not any faster or more accurate than a drywall saw (though less likely to cut any wires right behind the Sheetrock) but boy can is send nasty drywall dust everywhere - saving 10 seconds cutting out the recessed can hole by spending an additional 10 minutes sweeping up seems like a bad trade off to me - YMMV

Jack Schmidt
12-19-2014, 7:35 PM
For me it's a good drywall tool used for cutting around boxes and ducts that's very dust free. But I have what many don't have, the dust collection collar that takes the place of the standard adjustable base.

I also have used it with a diamond wheel to dress up the edge of a tile that moved unnoticed and would have disturbed a continuous grout line that would have been very apparent.

But I consider it "drywall only".

george newbury
12-19-2014, 7:56 PM
Boy I appreciate this thread! I don't have one and now I'm sure I don't want one.