PDA

View Full Version : Laser Options

jon christlieb
12-16-2014, 2:30 PM
Hey everyone,
I need some opinions, I have been looking at getting a laser for some time now and I am getting down to the point of getting one.

I need one that can engrave on anodized aluminum, painted/powdercoated metals, as well as other materials like wood/plastic/glass. I know that CO2 will cut/engrave most stuff other than metals, but the cost of a Fiber setup is almost out of my price point. I have looked for a used system and not really finding alot as people still want major money even for beat up machines. I was looking heavily with a Epilog setup as I have ran them before and like the systems and I have also looked as low as some of the Chinese systems.

With what I have described what are your thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Sipes
12-16-2014, 2:38 PM
Requirements. Table size, Depth of materials, rotary ?.. Location? $$ to spend on laser? You're going to get a spectrum of ideas unless you can pin down you real needs..

Dave Sheldrake
12-16-2014, 7:41 PM
Cheers George, I now have coffee all over my screen and will probably need a paramedic to get me back off the floor from laughing :)

Jon, I don't have the benefit of being over 70 (I'm getting there though) but in his rather direct way George is right, I would suggest spending a couple of weeks reading up everything you can find about lasers to get a good foundation. Even with all the information we may need there is no realistic way we can make a choice for you (in effect because we aren't you) and you may have things in mind we don't allow for.

I'd probably start by reading as much as you can find here about buying lasers then shoot along to Dr Sam Goldwassers page to get a bit of the background about what a laser really is. It will save you money in the long run and help you make the best possible choice while reducing the chance of making a real kipper, it may well be that a laser isn't always the best choice and while they are fun to work with (most of the time) there are other options as well that may be worth looking at.

right, i'll be off to call 999 now to see if I can get those Paramedics ;)

cheers

Dave

Bill George
12-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Hey everyone,
I need some opinions, I have been looking at getting a laser for some time now and I am getting down to the point of getting one.

I need one that can engrave on anodized aluminum, painted/powdercoated metals, as well as other materials like wood/plastic/glass. I know that CO2 will cut/engrave most stuff other than metals, but the cost of a Fiber setup is almost out of my price point. I have looked for a used system and not really finding alot as people still want major money even for beat up machines. I was looking heavily with a Epilog setup as I have ran them before and like the systems and I have also looked as low as some of the Chinese systems.

With what I have described what are your thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Don't know where your located but it seems here in the Midwest used lasers always seem to be at least 900 miles away. Right now there are at least 3 nice looking Epilogs on eBay. There is usually at least one scammer that lists what looks to be the same one, you must email me before bidding...which turns out to be email me to purchase off eBay.
This is about the Best laser forum online, welcome aboard.

Robert Tepper
12-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Welcome Jon,

I have about 2 1/2 years experience. I own a Trotec Rayjet 300, 80 watts, 17 x 28" table.

Ask questions, we all started as new at one point.

Robert

jon christlieb
12-17-2014, 7:56 PM
I appreciate all the help.

I responded with requirements but for some reason it didnt post. Regarding my knowledge, I am a novice in regards to owning a laser but I have actually did alot of research and spent months looking at different options. I have looked at CO2/YAG/Fiber options and looked at companies that range from Redsail/Epilog/Trotec/ULS. My problem is I wanted some opinions regarding being realistic in starting out and going all out. I looked on ebay (which I have called out one particular scammer a few times) as well as craigslist and everything in between.

I was hoping to stay under 5k starting out and it seems that puts me mostly in a market for a chinese CO2. My concerns are parts availability, software, and quality. I would love to have a Epilog Fibermark system for my work but my financials are not there yet and I think a good CO2 will get me going along with some Cermark.

I really wanted to know the thoughts of the people that use this type of equipment everyday regarding CO2, chinese systems or an affordable american machine, Cermark on metals, software options, and anything else I am not thinking of. I have experience with the Epilog line and love them but like I said right now they are just out of my price range. So any insight in this would be appreciated.

jon christlieb
12-17-2014, 8:25 PM
I forgot to mention that I have also looked at a FSL system as well but with so many negative reviews I just couldnt get myself to go that route.

Dave Sheldrake
12-17-2014, 8:28 PM
Business or Hobby use Jon?

cheers

dave

jon christlieb
12-17-2014, 8:42 PM
Both really. But mostly business. On painted/powdercoated/anodized metals.

Bert Kemp
12-17-2014, 9:13 PM
For your budget you should look at Rabbit Laser USA, very well built machines, top notch support and a warehouse full of parts.Might run a little over 5k but worth the investment. You might check out Boss Laser in FL and Automation Technology I think in Chicago.

Dave Sheldrake
12-17-2014, 9:26 PM
$5k is going to get you a smaller Chinese machine but the basics of all of them are the same. For business use I'm quite outspoken about NOT going down the direct import route due to the often terrible after sales service on Chinese machines but needs must in many cases I guess.

I'd echo what Bert is saying, Ray Scott at Rabbit USA is highly regarded by many people and the machines are good quality kit (HX Laser)

Boss, AT, Redsail, Shenhui, Hx, Golden laser, Weike, etc ad-infinitum are all just variations on either Leetro (step servo co) or Ruida controllers, just the case build quality varies and not much else. You will be pretty much stuck with either LaserCUT or LaserWorks software whatever Chinese route you go.

You will get a lot of "buy ours we are the best" kind of chatter from China but in the real world there is very little between all of them past different coloured paint and some shiny badges.

My personal choice at that budget would be RabbitLaserUSA

cheers

Dave

Frank barry
12-18-2014, 2:27 AM
Hi I think Dave is spot on read as much as you can on here be as clear as possible as to what you want to do when you laser decide on what machine you want find someone who has one and get them to do a few samples I would have a look on the rabbit laser website it really has a lot of info on there Good luck with whatever you decide cheers Frank oh and buy the best machine you can afford

jon christlieb
12-18-2014, 7:56 AM
Guys, this is all great information and is greatly appreciated. With a CO2 setup is there any issues regarding engraving through powdercoating/paint/anodize? Also how good is Cermark on materials like stainless/bronze/copper?

Also can I use Corel on any of the chinese systems as I have read horror stories about the chinese softwares.

Tim Bateson
12-18-2014, 8:11 AM
Think Power too. I know on my 35watt, it's hit & miss on Powder Coated metals. A few will mark decent, but usually it's multiple passes. Don't expect Powder Coated metals to ever look as good as Anodized. With Powder Coated you laser to the bare metal... or as close as you can get to it, where as Anodized metal takes a whole lot less power as you only need to bleach the anodization.

jon christlieb
12-18-2014, 8:15 AM
Tim, that is what I need to know. Would you suggest a 40w or 60w for that application? Thanks for your insight....

Frank barry
12-18-2014, 8:50 AM
you don't have to use the full power as you can adjust it but in my opinion its better to have a little more power than you need you will adjust the power and speed ratio to get the effect you need

Tim Bateson
12-18-2014, 9:03 AM
Tim, that is what I need to know. Would you suggest a 40w or 60w for that application? Thanks for your insight....

I'll have to defer to someone else who has a more powerful machine and works with Powder Coatings. I can just say for sure, my 35 watt machine isn't enough to do that type of work.

jon christlieb
12-18-2014, 9:26 AM
Thank you Tim for the info.

Scott Shepherd
12-18-2014, 9:59 AM
I've found powder coatings work better for us with multiple passes anyway. Too much heat in them will stain the surrounding coating.

Mike Null
12-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Like most things powder coat is not all the same. The biggest difference you'll notice as an engraver is the variable thickness of the application. Typically, in industrial applications, powder coat is roboticly applied while in custom applications is it hand applied and this is where the big variance shows up most often. Regardless of the application though I always run at least two passes with the last one being a "clean-up" pass.

My machine is a 45 watt so I'm a little surprised that Tim has trouble with his 35 watt machine. Anodized aluminum is one of the easier materials to engrave and can be achieved easily with even a 25 watt machine.

Here's an example of a one off panel with powder coat.

jon christlieb
12-18-2014, 10:57 AM
I am doing the powdercoating myself and know that the thickness will vary (part of the design). Could the lens be the variance between your two machines?

jon christlieb
12-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Also any new opinions on Full Spectrum Laser? Just curious.....

Bert Kemp
12-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Jon I have a 60 watt Rabbit see my signature, If you want I can do some samples for you or I'm sure Ray at Rabbit will do samples for you also. I don't do anything with cermark so I don't have any but I do have Baltic Birch, leather, anodized Alum.ceramic tile, and granite on hand, as I'm sure Ray has all that too.Let me know what you might like and cover shipping and were good.
Also almost everyone here uses corel to design and then transfer to laser.no big deal.

jon christlieb
12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks Bert

Bert Kemp
12-18-2014, 12:09 PM
If you've read the forums here and elsewhere you know to Stay away from Full Spectrum. Cheap machines, no support.

jon christlieb
12-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Thats what I kept reading. I was really hoping to stay in the US until I read the reviews for them