PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for an old central vacuum?

ken masoumi
12-16-2014, 11:54 AM
I have an old Beam central vac(with a washable filter) that we never use,it's taking up valuable space on the furnace room wall,my wife wants me to get rid of it and install a cabinet/shelves in its place.
It is in perfect condition and a shame to throw it out but I'll do it if I can't use it for something else ,I was thinking of installing it in my shop and connect it to the small dust deputy but the ridgid shop vac is doing a great job already .
Any suggestions?

Rich Engelhardt
12-16-2014, 1:16 PM
No suggestions - but - I also have a central vac in a rental house that's been disconnected. It was fine when we disconnected it.
I'll be following this thread to see if I can salvage it for shop use.

Myk Rian
12-16-2014, 2:22 PM
Maybe boat uh u could test the theory.

Rich Engelhardt
12-16-2014, 2:45 PM
I'll have to wait until the present tenant moves out - hopefully that will be a real long, long, long, long, long wait.
I don't want to go tearing up stuff while she's living there.

Lee Schierer
12-16-2014, 4:18 PM
You can use it to make an air hockey table.

Sell it on Craig's List or other auction site.

Have a yard sale.

Donate it to your local second hand store or the "Habitat Restore" in your area.

ken masoumi
12-16-2014, 5:15 PM
Donate it to your local second hand store or the "Habitat Restore" in your area.
That's probably my best option,it could be used in a low income housing project ,at least it won't end up in a landfill,this vacuum was probably not used more than a few times,it looks new.

Kevin Bourque
12-16-2014, 8:49 PM
Why aren't you using it? I wish I had a system in my house.

Mike Cutler
12-16-2014, 9:40 PM
Ken

Is the system installed throughout the house?
No way I'd dump it in the trash. I'd put it in the shop, and put that Rigid on the curb first.
Install it in your shop, and I'll just about guarantee that you'll use it, and often.

ken masoumi
12-16-2014, 9:46 PM
Why aren't you using it? I wish I had a system in my house.
we Tried it a couple of times,it's not bad but doesn't have the suction as our Kenmore canister vac ,it's also more practical to grab the Kenmore and go to any floor or the stairs and have the same suction,with the CV,the farther you are from the unit,the lower the suction is.plus my wife hates using it and that alone is (as I'm sure you agree) big enough reason to get rid of it.

Dan Hunkele
12-17-2014, 8:33 AM
Consider the resale value of the house with a central vac system minus the vac before removing. Just saying.

ken masoumi
12-17-2014, 11:14 AM
What you're saying is very true Dan,this central vac system was a selling feature for this house when it was for sale, if I were to sell the house,I would keep it and make sure it's in working condition. the likelihood of us moving again is very slim though .

Brian Elfert
12-17-2014, 12:06 PM
That's probably my best option,it could be used in a low income housing project ,at least it won't end up in a landfill,this vacuum was probably not used more than a few times,it looks new.

The Habitat Restore just sells stuff to the public to raise money to build more houses. It is highly unlikely they would put a central vac in a Habitat house. This reminds me that I have a bunch of stuff leftover from my renovation that needs to go to the Restore.

Steve Peterson
12-17-2014, 1:18 PM
I agree with the others that say to keep it. If it really is in the way, set it aside and cap off the pipes. Someone will thank you in the future.

I am now in a house with a central vac and really like it. It is much quieter and the house doesn't fill up with fine dust that escapes the filters, although it does transfer that fine dust to the garage. The only down side is that the hose is a little bit of a hassle to move around.

Steve

Brian Elfert
12-17-2014, 1:58 PM
A central vacuum should really be vented to the outdoors to avoid dust issues. I thought I wouldn't miss my central vac, but I really do. An upright is fine for carpets, but not so great for smooth surfaces.

ken masoumi
12-17-2014, 5:56 PM
Steve,Bian,you must have had better central vac then me,the one I have probably has the lowest suction of them all,I cleaned out the filter but didn't do much good,I then found out you can spend a couple of thousands to get a much more powerful/quiet one,but we already bought a canister vacuum .

Brian Elfert
12-17-2014, 6:18 PM
I didn't pay more than $400 or so for my vacuum unit so it wasn't that expensive. (Cost didn't include hose, beater head, and piping.) I had no issues with lack of suction at any outlet.

Bill Rhodus
12-18-2014, 5:44 AM
If possible, you should try to inspect the pipes. If an elbow has a hole worn in it the suction will be reduced. I've never seen a properly installed central vac that was not superior to a typical portable vac.

Steve Peterson
12-18-2014, 2:56 PM
If possible, you should try to inspect the pipes. If an elbow has a hole worn in it the suction will be reduced. I've never seen a properly installed central vac that was not superior to a typical portable vac.

I agree. I don't have a lot of experience with them, since we only recently acquired a house with one. The motor and filter are significantly larger than anything that you would want to drag around the house. Maybe yours has a loss of suction somewhere. Take the hose off at the vacuum and see if it a lot stronger than the suction inside the house.

Steve

ken masoumi
12-18-2014, 4:56 PM
If there's a hole or a crack somewhere,I can't see it,the plumbing looks crude,I have a feeling the owner himself installed this CV ,it definitely does not look like a pro installed it .
I think I'll listen to those of you who suggested I should keep it.if I can't use it for something else like modifying it for a dust collector,I'll leave it alone.
Thank you all for your comments.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-18-2014, 5:22 PM
Are there multiple ports? I know someone who had problems, and it turned out the ports weren't sealing well when not in use, affecting the suction, or at least, that's what I was told.

Lee Schierer
12-18-2014, 8:14 PM
Steve,Bian,you must have had better central vac then me,the one I have probably has the lowest suction of them all,I cleaned out the filter but didn't do much good,I then found out you can spend a couple of thousands to get a much more powerful/quiet one,but we already bought a canister vacuum .

Check the suction right at the unit. If the suction is noticeably better there then there is a leak or obstruction in the piping. We didn't spend any where near $1,000 an got one that was much quieter than our original Hoover unit and has significantly more suction. Go to Thinkvac.com (http://www.thinkvacuums.com/?gclid=CJiS4uX20MICFUMV7Aod-BsATg) and check out the suction levels and prices for various models of central systems.

ken masoumi
12-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Josh,the ports seal nicely ,I also checked the suction at the unit like Lee suggested but didn't find a significant difference which is why I'll leave it the way it is for now ,unless I find a use for it or donate it or trade for an upgraded version.
BTW,Thank you for your comments.