PDA

View Full Version : Question for Reed (Robo Hippy) about a video...

Steve Paxman
12-16-2014, 9:57 AM
Reed, I watched your video this morning about cutting a recess, etc. When you are cutting your recess using your dovetail tool, you talk a bunch about getting your recess to have the same angle as the dovetail on the jaws of your chuck. But, prior to that, you seem to ignore that issue altogether when you simply cut a recess with a forstner bit on the drill press and slap it on the chuck. Why doesn't it need a dovetail there? Is it just because you are just going to lightly form the outside of the bowl, which is much less pressure on the chuck than it will be when you flip it and do hollowing or coring?

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Reed Gray
12-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Well, that clip isn't supposed to be public yet as things are a bit out of order. Easiest way to mount a bowl for me is by drilling a recess with a forstner bit. You can't make a bit that drills a recess with a inside dove tail angle. So, this recess is for expanding, and I do crank down on it. It has a very good grip. For smaller bowls, maybe up to 12 inch diameter and 3 inches thick, it holds very well. For larger pieces, I will engage the tail stock. This top side recess is for driving the wood while you rough and finish turn. Also, since I core the biggest bowl first, it is easy to remount the core with the already centered recess. No face plates or screws to use, no screw chuck to use, just my standard chuck. The final version will be up later this week I hope.

robo hippy