PDA

View Full Version : Amana insert glue joint cutter review

Larry Edgerton
12-16-2014, 6:11 AM
I just bought this cutter: http://www.oellasawandtool.com/products/AMANA-61264--Insert-Glue-Joint-Cutter-140mm--x-50mm--x-1%252d1%7B47%7D4%22-bore-Steel.html

I needed one a bit bigger and this was the least expensive. I had not bought an Amana insert before and was a little leery because of the lower cost. My concerns were ill founded. The machining on the cutter is flawless, and the job it did on highly figured Makore was perfect. Will buy Amana again.

Now if I could just figure out a quicker way to set up glue joint cutters........

Larry

Peter Quinn
12-16-2014, 7:09 PM
Good to know. What ya making with all those glue joints? Does it wind up centered on the thickness so its one face up one down in sequence without putting down the stock, or do you have to run and reset?

pat warner
12-16-2014, 8:35 PM
To center with equal thickness stix:
Profile ~5+" of stock at an arbitrary depth.
Cut the 5" section off the blank and split that in 2.
Fit the 2 pieces, measure the offset error and raise or lower the cutter by .5 x error.

Larry Edgerton
12-17-2014, 6:02 AM
To center with equal thickness stix:
Profile ~5+" of stock at an arbitrary depth.
Cut the 5" section off the blank and split that in 2.
Fit the 2 pieces, measure the offset error and raise or lower the cutter by .5 x error.

Thanks Pat

I got that but I always seem to take about three tests to get it perfect. I am dealing with eyes going bad now, so I am looking for a good height gauge so I can start charting each cutter off the deck. Still getting to know this shaper as well. Mostly the eyes.......

Larry

pat warner
12-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Even with bad eyes, a caliper can be read without too much trouble.
In this case measure the assembled set with caliper (digital).
Subtract one thickness & divide the difference by 2; a no eye ball strain.