PDA

View Full Version : Rough cost of lathe

Chris Hachet
12-15-2014, 2:11 PM
I know nothing about wood turning. If I wanted to buy a reliable lathe that could turn standard table legs and do a little bit of bowl turning, what would be my best bet and how much am I looking at? I do not want to go the Harbor Freight route but want instead a reliable tool.

Prashun Patel
12-15-2014, 2:14 PM
A middle level lathe may cost between $500 and $1000.

However, the lathe ends up (long term) being the cheapest part of the investment.

You will need to invest in reasonable tools, a sharpening system, sanding supplies and possibly chucks. These latter investments may add to the cost as well.

Tim Rinehart
12-15-2014, 2:58 PM
Chris, there will be a bit 'individual' preferences and experience. I will say it's hard to find a good lathe on CList, though I got VERY lucky finding a Jet 1642 that served me well till I wanted something larger. So here's a couple thoughts on solid dependable equipment and my thoughts if I were in your shoes.
I would suggest searching out the local woodturning clubs in your area, they may have members upgrading or getting out of turning (rarer!) with a lathe to sell.

Full size: 16" is pretty much the entry point on full size lathes which can go up to about 24-25" swing and greater in a few exceptions.
Jet 1642 (used) if you can find it. This has alot of cast iron which translates to a very smooth turning experience whether a big bowl/platter, a hollowform, or a pen. Nova DVR 1624 is a popular lathe with alot of folks. Either one will set you back about $2300, but sales occur on both saving up to 15% or so. These two seem to be benchmarks in popularity for full size lathes in this price range.

Mid size: 12" swing is norm in this range. To go less, you typically lose swing to about 10" in the mini category, and the hp is typically 1/2 hp which makes some bowl work a challenge.
Jet 1221 VS - Fairly new, but excellent lathe from what can be told. About $800 and you can get an extension for doing longer spindle work.
Rikon 70-220VSR - Brand new, but looks excellent. About $650, and you can also buy extensions though you may not need depending on how long a spindle you're doing.
These two are the benchmarks in their size and price range, offering 1 hp, reversing, and electronic variable speed control. The Delta 46-460 (which I own) used to be the benchmark but has fallen out of favor due to some part availability and customer service complaints.

To save some money in the price of the lathe, the Rikon 70-100 is a bulletproof lathe, for about $300.

Note: there are ALOT of good lathes out there from other manufacturers, what I tried to represent are what are typically the benchmark lathes in their class.
You can search a bit more on your own in places like Woodcraft, Craft Supplies, Packard Woodworks, and others to see different lathes and specs and ask any questions about them individually to help you make a decision. The comment about the lathe being the cheapest item, is true. But don't skimp on the lathe knowing this. You can build up slowly as funds are available for specialized tools you may want.
In the used market, and even new, I would recommend sticking with standard headstock thread sizes of either 1-1/4" or 1", both 8 threads per inch. This will make adapting chucks and other items easier.

Marty Tippin
12-15-2014, 3:51 PM
Whatever final cost estimate you come up with, you should probably double it and add 50% -- and then you'll be close to what you're really going to end up spending... ;-)

Turning table legs will require a lathe with a long bed; most "midi" lathes only handle up to 24" or so, if not less. So you have to consider either a bed extension or a bigger lathe.

Common wisdom says that bowls need to be pretty big (greater than 12") to be interesting and marketable, so take that into consideration; if you're only turning for fun and/or for family, smaller bowls may be just fine for you.

I'm currently on my third lathe, having started out with a Delta 12" Midi, then a Grizzly 18x42 and now a Powermatic 3520B. If I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, I would have gone straight to the Powermatic and only cried once...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2014, 3:57 PM

However, the lathe ends up (long term) being the cheapest part of the investment.

You will need to invest in reasonable tools, a sharpening system, sanding supplies and possibly chucks. These latter investments may add to the cost as well.

True that!

Roger Chandler
12-15-2014, 4:00 PM
If budget considerations are in the picture, then I would certainly consider a couple of Grizzly lathes........either the clone of the Jet 1642, which is their model G0632 or even better their 18/47 lathe the model G0733. Price wise the G0733 is $1695, and the lathe is sized in between the Jet that Tim references above and the larger brother to it, the Powermatic 3520b, which is considered pretty much the gold standard of lathes from overseas.

The G0733 has 18" swing, with sliding headstock which allows for turning off the end of the bed for larger platters, etc, and has 5" more distance between centers which will allow for turning bed posts as well as table legs. It has 2 hp motor, reversing, VFD [variable frequency drive] which allows for speed changes anywhere between 50 rpm to 3200 rpm, and has all of the modern features of way more expensive lathes [excepting a handwheel, which is not really needed but can be added if you want] It does not come with a safety cage, but from what I can tell, about 98% of turners take that off the lathe anyway, so there are many other ways to use safety practices at the lathe other than a cage.

Likely one of the best values available for a larger lathe, but I am not trying to sell you on it, just giving you the information so you can consider it. My predecessor 18/47 model G0698 has been going strong without any issues for 5 years and gets fairly heavy usage. The G0733 is an upgraded version of the G0698, and a number of members here on SMC have it and seem to have good things to say about it!

Good luck, whatever you decide!

allan kuntz
12-15-2014, 8:21 PM
If you look at The grizzly 18-47. Make sure you go with the AC motor and not the DC motor. I am not sure if they even have the DC motor anymore . I had the same lathe in the Craftex line which is handle by Busy Bee Tools in Canada. The DC motor only lasted a little over 1 year.I now have the same lathe with the AC motor.Laguna Craftex and Grizzly all carry the same lathe with different color paint and I believe all have discontinued the DC motor. Just something to watch for. I really like the sliding head stock for bowl turning. Have fun
Al

Marc Tuunanen
12-16-2014, 1:47 AM
They say the lathe is a hole in the ground we throw money at a regular basis. If you get a lathe that needs 220v that will cost you $500 from a reputable electrician. Then you'll need good lighting and if you want the shop comfortable year round a heater / AC. Then their are the tools to work the lathe. Get the picture yet. However, it's the best fun you'll have with your pants on.

Cheers Friend,
Marc

Rick Fisher
12-16-2014, 5:02 AM
I ended up buying a One-way 1224 because (I justified) that the resale value on One-way is extremely good. The local dealer will gladly take it back as a trade if I wanted to upgrade..

Its not a cheap lathe, but it doesn't drop 40% of its value when you drive it off the lot. I'm sure resale on Robust and Stubby are the same if not even better.

I have also found that the lathe is the beginning .. Lathes appear to be like Shapers .. the tool itself is an invitation to get your wallet out. Turning tools, sandpaper, finishes, sharpening ... Oh and bowl blanks. I live in a small town with a store selling figured bowl blanks. I've vowed to not return till after new years. Or Xmas.. one of the two ..

Hal Taylor
12-16-2014, 9:27 AM
The bottom line is you get what you pay for. A cheap lathe from HF is exactly that. You'll be replacing it quickly so you're out that investment.

Chris Hachet
12-16-2014, 9:55 AM
They say the lathe is a hole in the ground we throw money at a regular basis. If you get a lathe that needs 220v that will cost you $500 from a reputable electrician. Then you'll need good lighting and if you want the shop comfortable year round a heater / AC. Then their are the tools to work the lathe. Get the picture yet. However, it's the best fun you'll have with your pants on.

Cheers Friend,
Marc

Being an electrician, I can do the 220 with mostly what I have on hand...

Chris Hachet
12-16-2014, 9:56 AM
The bottom line is you get what you pay for. A cheap lathe from HF is exactly that. You'll be replacing it quickly so you're out that investment.

This is what I am trying to avoid.

Marvin Hasenak
12-16-2014, 4:53 PM
If all you want to make is table legs look for some of the old iron Deltas on Craigslist or eBay. Anything about pre 1980 is just about bullet proof if you take care of it. I found a Delta 46-111 for $100, added a 3/4HP variable speed industrial sewing machine motor for $200, so for $300 I have 0 to 3500 RPM and reverse with a touch of the switches. If I been willing to switch the belt on the pulleys I could have saved me $200.

You will need chisels, a method to sharpen them, the lathe should come with a spur drive and live center that besides the wood is all you need to make table legs. Do your research first to make sure you need what everyone thinks you need, the turners that turn bowls hollow forms etc. need a lot more that what you need.

Mike Cutler
12-16-2014, 9:32 PM

Prashun

That is so true!
I was given a mid 70's Delta in perfect working order. It had the extended bed and stand, and came with a cheesy set of "vintage" Craftsman turning tools too. Out of the truck, into the shop, and turn it on. Good to go.
I then bought an entry level set of turning tools from Woodcraft, a Nova G3 chuck, the expandable jaws, the adapter to make it all work. Bought some bowl blanks, and a link belt,and a sharpening jig.
At the end of it all, I spent about $500.00 on a perfectly fine, "free" lathe, and I stink at turning. I'm about one level above being dangerous enough to hurt myself.:eek:

Chris

There are so many lathes on eBay and Craiglist, it's mind boggling. Factor in all of the wood forums and their classifieds, and it may cost you next to nothing to get started.
My only advice is too take some classes, and find out if turning is your cup of tea, first.

Chris Hachet
12-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Prashun

That is so true!
I was given a mid 70's Delta in perfect working order. It had the extended bed and stand, and came with a cheesy set of "vintage" Craftsman turning tools too. Out of the truck, into the shop, and turn it on. Good to go.
I then bought an entry level set of turning tools from Woodcraft, a Nova G3 chuck, the expandable jaws, the adapter to make it all work. Bought some bowl blanks, and a link belt,and a sharpening jig.
At the end of it all, I spent about $500.00 on a perfectly fine, "free" lathe, and I stink at turning. I'm about one level above being dangerous enough to hurt myself.:eek:

Chris

There are so many lathes on eBay and Craiglist, it's mind boggling. Factor in all of the wood forums and their classifieds, and it may cost you next to nothing to get started.
My only advice is too take some classes, and find out if turning is your cup of tea, first.

This is kind of my thought....I looked at several Jet models at Wood Werks last night. The 1440 Vs seems like it might be a logical "Next Lathe." Trying to find a way in the budget to free up a good $ 2000 for that and the chucks and so forth....

Meanwhile, I am searching Craigslist for a decent used cheapie. I am very interested in 17th and 18th century furniture so I am taking some college level art classes in art history in the spring to better understand the context in which that furniture developed aesthetically. So I figure if i can have a couple of grand saved by the fall...