PDA

View Full Version : Fredericksburg Va?

James Boster
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I am going to be in Fredericksburg Va from July 26th to Aug 3rd for the National Scout Jamboree. I won't be at the Jamboree every day and was wondering if any members know of any machinery dealers or hardwood lumber dealers in the area that I might want to check out? Thanks James.

Chris Lee
07-19-2005, 12:18 PM
James,

I hate to be the one to diappoint you but there is not much in Fredericksburg. There is a place JC Forest Products that has good lumber and decent prices but nothing exotic or really interesting if that is what you are looking for. No machinery either that I know of. I can give you several places within an hours drive but that's about it. Pretty sad a'int it? Feel free to Pm me if you need to know anything about Fred or the area. If anybody knows where they are hiding the good stuff in Fredericksburg I would not mind knowing either.

Chris

Michael Gabbay
07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
There is a Woodcraft in Springfield about an hour away. Also a tool dealer in Lorton about 45 minutes away http://www.fries-beall-sharp-inc.com/home/

Mike

Mark Patoka
07-19-2005, 1:33 PM
Also in Springfield is Colonial Hardwoods. They carry exotics, veneers, turning blanks, etc but lumber prices are higher. http://www.colonialhardwoods.com/index.htm

Northland Forest Products in Manassas is a good source for lumber that many people in the area use. http://www.northlandforest.com/index.html

Hal Taylor, www.haltaylor.com (http://www.haltaylor.com), is also near the Fredericksburg area and you may be able to check something out with him.

Bobby Hatfield
07-19-2005, 1:50 PM
There was a Delta tool sales place there called Earl's or some such name, and also a PowerMatic tool sales place downtown, have they all closed down ? Bobby

Richard Gillespie
07-19-2005, 5:10 PM
There was a Delta tool sales place there called Earl's or some such name, and also a PowerMatic tool sales place downtown, have they all closed down ? Bobby

Sad to say, Fredericksburg Hardware was bought out by, I think Ace Hardware, and they have downsized to the point where they only carry the same stuff as the other Ace Hardwares do. What a shame, use to be a dynamite place. :(

I haven't been to Earls in 18 years so I can't say what they carry. I wouldn't be too hopeful though.

George Summers
07-19-2005, 5:32 PM
A P Hill is a neat place but as most have said, not much around there. My son, an assistant leader, just left Sunday with his troop for Philmont. This will be his third trip, two as a scout and now as a leader. Have fun at the Jamboree.

George

Keith Starosta
07-20-2005, 8:10 AM
Bobby, Earl's is still there, but they don't sell the Delta stuff like they apparently used to. I still like the place, as it's a nice alternative to driving all the way to Central Park for one of the big box stores.

Keith

John Stevens
07-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Hah, small world--my wife, Pam McGonigle, will be there, too. She and Mari Holden (Olympic medalist and female world cycling champion) will be there as "athlete ambassadors" of the U.S. Anti Doping Agency (USADA). They'll to talk to the Scouts about succeeding at the elite level in sport without using performance-enhancing drugs.

James Boster
07-20-2005, 12:28 PM
George thanks for the reply our troop is planning on a Philmont contingent in 2007 when our boys are a little older. Four of our adult leaders including yours truly are already listed as the leaders.

Calvin Hobbs
07-21-2005, 8:32 AM
If I were in Fredericksburg I would visit Kenmore, an amazing 18th century mansion with amazing interior woodwork and carvings, furniture, and ornate plaster ceilings.

Cal

AJ Hamler
07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Kaeser Compressors is located there. Also, if you wanted to do some shop visiting, check out Hal Taylor. He does Maloof-inspired chairs, and is quite good.

Of course, if you're into Civil War history, you couldn't ask for a better spot to tour.

A.J.

James Boster
07-21-2005, 4:35 PM
What about Richmond, any good machinery dealers with good showrooms that would be worth the drive into town one day? Thanks.

Bill Simmeth
07-21-2005, 10:01 PM
What about Richmond, any good machinery dealersWell, if you prefer new and shiney, this isn't for you, but if you like good values in used machines, visit Noel Dempsey in Richmond... http://www.dempseyandco.com/ He's heavy on the metalworking side, but usually has a decent assortment of WW machines as well. I'm not a metalworker, but enjoy gawking at the metal lathes and mills.

Bill in Delaplane, VA

Tom Seaman
07-21-2005, 11:12 PM
There's a Woodcraft in Richmond, convenient to I-95. Harper's Hardware is open on weekdays. They sell a lot of big woodworking equipment, and always have some display models, as well as some refurbished 'old/antique' machines. I don't make it there too often, and they didn't have too much on the floor last time I was there. Siewers lumber has a good selection of hardwood, but only open weekdays as well. Pleasants Hardware (downtown on Broad Street) has a nice selection of WW tools. All of these stores are relatively close together. These are most of the places that come to mind down this way.

Travel time is under an hour from Fredericksburg, and you'll never be too far from the interstate.