PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Lumber Storage in basement

David Ragan
12-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Hi, I am in the process of organizing the lumber.

The horizontal racks are such a hassle to look through, and sort of hazardous-lifting all that 8ft wood by myself on a ladder, etc. Know what I mean?

So, how about vertical storage in the climate controlled basement next to the poured 18 year old basement walls? Do I have to worry about moisture coming through the wall?

I would like to make some bays against the wall, and lean the lumber (ever so slightly) next to the wall. At a lumber yard, they have chains across each bay. One post on this forum said he put a bottom in the bays that was tilted about 5 degrees toward the wall.

I also have a good many shorts that are maybe 3-4 feet long. I mean a lot of good hardwood. Minimal risk of bowing there.

The sheet goods are problematic-I'll try to keep them balanced on the edge, since I have a lot more wall space than floor space.

I guess my biggest question is--as you all have gotten older, do you find vertical storage better than horizontal?

Any advise please?

Jerry Wright
12-15-2014, 1:16 PM
I always store vertically when I can. Lean it against a basement wall so you get some air movement. I kick out about 2-3 inches at floor level. My father was a wood shop teacher for 40 years - what he said, and it works!

Judson Green
12-15-2014, 1:20 PM
Vertical is what I do in the basement. Had a horizontal but was a hassle with the low ceiling and move the stuff in front to get at the stuff in back. In the garage I have horizontal storage this is where I keep 8' and longer lengths.

glenn bradley
12-15-2014, 2:10 PM
My system has evolved to long and/or heavy material is vertical. Lighter material goes on the horizontal rack. I would stand your material off the wall enough to allow air flow and off the floor a bit as well. I have been doing this for years without issue but, I am above ground so only the floor is in contact with mother earth.