PDA

View Full Version : REAL Big---Cedar

Gary Max
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I am turning full time right now---working the Alkey bath hard with a cherry bowl every day and turning other stuff the rest of the time. I can only tell you the reason I turn something this big is because someone will buy it. What in the heck they do with these I have no ideal. I figure huge dinning rooms with 20 foot tables??????
This is the biggest yet---I had to cut the blank down to get it in ---I can swing 24 inches on this lathe. When finished it should be about 21 to 22 round and 6 to 8 deep.
Oh this is my ideal of a clean floor---have to sweep all day long just to keep it like this.

Michael Ballent
07-19-2005, 1:34 PM
Now that's a hunka, hunka, piece of wood :D

Don Baer
07-19-2005, 1:37 PM
Gary;

Do you have a forklift to move them biguns ?
Just wondering. Can't wait to see the bowl whn it's done.

Raymond Overman
07-19-2005, 1:41 PM
Gary,

You're obviously turning the bottom of the bowl there. How are you going to take care of the inside? Do you use a tenon or what? I have a lot of problem with cedar splintering on me and would be wary of turning it around and holding it in a chuck. That is if I could even get a piece that large on my lathe. What's the secret?

Progress looks good so far by the way. I'm ready to see the finished product.

Chris Rolke
07-19-2005, 2:52 PM
definately need to post finished pics of this on

or progress shots would be cool

Jeff Sudmeier
07-19-2005, 2:55 PM
Wow! I love cedar bowls, this one should be a gem!

John Shuk
07-19-2005, 3:50 PM
Wow, that is a big cedar tree. By the way Gary what are you doing for dust collection? I'd hate to see you get sick. I'm pretty sure cedar is a carcinogen and you sure use alot of it. Don't take it as a lecture just a concern.
John

Gary Max
07-19-2005, 4:06 PM
This is all I got done on this today. Had several other things to get done before I could get started. The wet spots you see---super glue

Jerry Clark
07-19-2005, 7:02 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures Gary-- You are doing something that most of us can only dream of. :rolleyes: Looks great and I bet the shop smells good.:D

Gary Max
07-19-2005, 8:16 PM
Jerry the joke around here is-----I have everything in life but money.
That's not a bad thing---it just fun keeping up with the bills.

Tony Sizemore
07-20-2005, 1:29 AM
I just got done with a Very small piece of cedar and I know how great my shop smiles. You me be i heaven! I looks great kepp the pictures comming.

John Hart
07-20-2005, 6:08 AM
Holy smokes Gary! When you go big...You go BIG!!! I just can't keep up with that...but it sure is fun watching you do it!

Gary Max
07-20-2005, 2:30 PM
We ain't going to talk about how much CA and epoxy I have used so far.
There is a bad spot in the wood that is really giving me fits--it's in the bottom of the bowl and getting bigger all the time.
But I ain't about to give up after posting all these pics.

John Hart
07-20-2005, 6:58 PM
I admire your spirit and tenacity Mr. Max....and really, it looks pretty good so far from here. So, despite the fact that you're not going to talk about your glue...I must ask...What's the problem with the glue?

Gary Max
07-20-2005, 7:49 PM
Mr Hart--- the only way I am getting through this is with a bunch of glue. Between the cracks---holes--rotten spots---something has to hold it together long enough for me to turn it and get the darn thing off the lathe. We are keeping our fingers crossed at this point.

Gary Max
07-21-2005, 5:37 PM
Here she is----bottom way to thick-- over a inch--it was trying to fall apart---hope you where able to stay awake thruogh this project---thanks for looking.

Karl Laustrup
07-21-2005, 5:49 PM
Gary, the colors are stunning. And it's big. WOW! From my end of the cable I'd say it was worth the hassels.:)

Karl

John Hart
07-22-2005, 6:28 AM
Pretty cool Gary...I'm not really sure that the "Thin Bottom" rule applies to this piece anyway. It is natural and rustic in it's design so I think it's appropriate for it to be a big ol' heavy bowl. Glad it stayed together. Great Colors!!!!