PDA

View Full Version : Quick "Orange body table saw" question (r4512)

John McBride
12-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Hi guys,
This saw had dropped off my considering list due to the alignment issue crap-shoot.

However, I notice all these issues were reported a couple of years ago. Can any one tell me if Big Orange has addressed these issues? Has there been any redesign? Is there/are there manufacturing dates to avoid? Manufacturing dates to look for? If so, how does one identify these dates?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2014, 11:22 AM
John, I wonder if one of their authorized service centers might be able to tell you anything?

John McBride
12-14-2014, 11:35 AM
John, I wonder if one of their authorized service centers might be able to tell you anything?

Great thought. Thanks Frederick. Sorry if my post was illconceved. I admit I did not do a great deal of research other than to read the reviews describing the alignment issues. I just had not heard anything about Ridgid doing any mitigation to the problem, and hoped some one might have heard news.....thanks again!!!!

Earl McLain
12-14-2014, 8:54 PM
I don't know if it's all been sorted out or not. I bought it's brother, Craftsman 21833, almost 2 years ago--no problem on mine. After reading the horror of some i knew i might need to return it so i was prepared for that possibility. Thankfully mine was okay. Figured it was worth a shot--with coupons, discounts, special offers, a sale, and owning the right breed of dog (i made that dog thing up) my net price was something like $336. Bought it online from my car in the parking lot--in the store that day it would have been something like $550. Crazy stuff.
earl

Frederick Skelly
12-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Great thought. Thanks Frederick. Sorry if my post was illconceved. I admit I did not do a great deal of research other than to read the reviews describing the alignment issues. I just had not heard anything about Ridgid doing any mitigation to the problem, and hoped some one might have heard news.....thanks again!!!!

I think it was a fair question John. I ask a TON of questions too and folks always try to help. This is a good group of folks!
Good luck,
Fred

John McBride
12-15-2014, 1:15 AM
I don't know if it's all been sorted out or not. I bought it's brother, Craftsman 21833, almost 2 years ago--no problem on mine. After reading the horror of some i knew i might need to return it so i was prepared for that possibility. Thankfully mine was okay. Figured it was worth a shot--with coupons, discounts, special offers, a sale, and owning the right breed of dog (i made that dog thing up) my net price was something like $336. Bought it online from my car in the parking lot--in the store that day it would have been something like $550. Crazy stuff.
earl

Earl,
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing a bunch of researching on this particular class of saw. It is helpful to know that really good deals are out there if I do my due diligence. KILLER score on that saw. Totally strange how you can save like $200 bucks just by sitting in the parking lot......love that. I think that's awesome.

John McBride
12-15-2014, 1:18 AM
I think it was a fair question John. I ask a TON of questions too and folks always try to help. This is a good group of folks!
Good luck,
Fred

Fred,
Absolutely. I agree whole heartedly. I do know though, that I should have done a smidge more research trying to locate my answer rather than just asking straight away. I just got lazy. Anyway, thank you so much for responding. Its appreciated.

Mike Chalmers
12-15-2014, 3:58 AM
I bought one last year. I have had no real issues. I am unhappy with the fence, I have to push it forward before locking to ensure proper alignment, however, you get what you pay for.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-15-2014, 6:25 AM
I have the contractor version. Not sure if that is the one you refer to- the one that is mounted on a folding stand. I have had no alignment issues after years of use and tons of material. My only issue is I have to crank hard and lock the blade to get it 90 degree.

Bob Snyder - Austin
12-15-2014, 12:37 PM
I bought mine a year ago and did not have any alignment issues. Lucky or problem fixed... either way I couldn't be happier with it. Well after I replaced that crappy miter gauge with the Osborne EB-3 I should say.

Earl McLain
12-15-2014, 1:41 PM
The 21833 miter gauge can best be described as "crude", but i already had a Kreg. And, the Incra TS-LS is much easier to work with than the stock fence. If i ever upgrade the saw, those two items will stay with me.
earl

Justin Jump
12-15-2014, 2:09 PM
I got mine @ 2 years ago, and when I bought it, I opened the box, pulled the main body of the saw out and checked alignment of the blade and the raising/lowering issue.

No need to go through all the assembly to find out you got one with the issue right? At the time, the store I purchased them from had (5) in stock, my plan was to return the saw and get a different one if the issue was present, mine did not have the alignment issue.

I did however have the fence alignment issue, and no matter how tight I made the fence to the rails, it would still have the issue where you needed to push it against the front fence to align. I called tech support, and because I followed the Lifetime Warranty to the "T", they sent me a new fence and the new fence did not have the issue.

I still got the saw, drill press and band saw, but I sold the planer and jointer to upgrade to Grizzly machines.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?193353-Finally-I-think-I-am-ready-to-build-something&highlight=

John McBride
12-15-2014, 11:41 PM
I got mine @ 2 years ago, and when I bought it, I opened the box, pulled the main body of the saw out and checked alignment of the blade and the raising/lowering issue.

No need to go through all the assembly to find out you got one with the issue right? At the time, the store I purchased them from had (5) in stock, my plan was to return the saw and get a different one if the issue was present, mine did not have the alignment issue.

I did however have the fence alignment issue, and no matter how tight I made the fence to the rails, it would still have the issue where you needed to push it against the front fence to align. I called tech support, and because I followed the Lifetime Warranty to the "T", they sent me a new fence and the new fence did not have the issue.

I still got the saw, drill press and band saw, but I sold the planer and jointer to upgrade to Grizzly machines.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?193353-Finally-I-think-I-am-ready-to-build-something&highlight=
Justin,
Thanks for the response. This is good to know. My only problem is, none of the home despite here stock the saw any longer. Seems it is an internet only purchase these days. I am just wondering if Ridgid has addressed the issue, or if it is still a crap shoot. I think I will take Earls advice and contact their customer service and ask them.

Otherwise, I actually may take a closer look at the Steel City offerings too.....that is if they still can be had with cast iron wings rater than granite.

Earl McLain
12-16-2014, 6:31 AM
Justin,
Thanks for the response. This is good to know. My only problem is, none of the home despite here stock the saw any longer. Seems it is an internet only purchase these days. I am just wondering if Ridgid has addressed the issue, or if it is still a crap shoot. I think I will take Earls advice and contact their customer service and ask them.

Otherwise, I actually may take a closer look at the Steel City offerings too.....that is if they still can be had with cast iron wings rater than granite.

Credit Frederick Skelly for that idea (post #2)--i'm not smart enough to think of it!!

Justin Jump
12-16-2014, 6:35 AM
I replaced my right wing with a router table insert made from Corian, see below.

As for the stores not carrying them, you can always still return the saw to a store.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?222479-Weekend-Project-Lesson-Learned-and-a-Question%85&highlight=

John McBride
12-16-2014, 8:32 AM
Credit Frederick Skelly for that idea (post #2)--i'm not smart enough to think of it!!
Earl, ....right you are....it was Fred that made that pitch. Thanks for the correction.....sorry Fred!

John McBride
12-16-2014, 8:34 AM
I replaced my right wing with a router table insert made from Corian, see below.

As for the stores not carrying them, you can always still return the saw to a store.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?222479-Weekend-Project-Lesson-Learned-and-a-Question%85&highlight=

This is true. Good thought. It seems I really still have a bunch of research and reading to do. Its probably a very good thing that the research and the thrill of the chase (shopping equipment) are part of the enjoyment for me.....lol