PDA

View Full Version : White Ash with curly grain and chatoyance.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-13-2014, 2:24 PM
White Ash bowl that came from a limb and trunk crotch area, I rough turned it 8 years ago and now recently returned and finished it, it is about 11.5" X 2.25”.

It has a couple coats of Polymerized Tung oil on it, and has been polished a bit with diamond compound.

My pyrography pen went caput, and I had to use the vaporizer to write with, didn’t work too good, I’ll have to either fix the pen if possible or get a new one :(

All comments welcome :)

302066 302067 302068

Rick Gibson
12-13-2014, 3:40 PM
Nice Leo. I like white ash Usually good grain and if taken from the righ area of the tree good chatoyance. I like to do pens in white ash but can never get the chatoyance to show in the pictures though.

Tim Passmore
12-13-2014, 6:32 PM
Leo---another great piece! You've really turned out several outstanding pieces the last few weeks---keep inspiring me.

Paul Hinds
12-13-2014, 8:07 PM
I love the way this one looks. Nice job !

Leo Van Der Loo
12-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Nice Leo. I like white ash Usually good grain and if taken from the righ area of the tree good chatoyance. I like to do pens in white ash but can never get the chatoyance to show in the pictures though.

Leo---another great piece! You've really turned out several outstanding pieces the last few weeks---keep inspiring me.

I love the way this one looks. Nice job !

Thanks all for the nice comments guys :D 302124

Tim Rinehart
12-15-2014, 9:15 AM
Looks great Leo and a fine piece of curly ash. I like the edge lip profile, would make it easier to hold and carry items in if used as a utility piece.

Jim Seyfried
12-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Excellent bowl, love the grain pattern! Are you sure it is dry yet? :D

Rick, I don't think it is possible to get chatoyance to show up in one picture.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-15-2014, 7:28 PM
Looks great Leo and a fine piece of curly ash. I like the edge lip profile, would make it easier to hold and carry items in if used as a utility piece.

Thanks Tim for you commenting and yes easy to hold, not looking fragile and yet not a heavy bowl :)

Excellent bowl, love the grain pattern! Are you sure it is dry yet? :D

Rick, I don't think it is possible to get chatoyance to show up in one picture.

Thanks for commenting Jim :), getting chatoyance to show in a picture is hard to do anytime, having it show from a small cylindrical piece is near impossible IMO :(