PDA

View Full Version : Countertop Band Questions

Rick Stewart
05-29-2003, 4:41 PM
I'm building new countertops for our kitchen and need answers to a couple of questions. The countertops will be made out of laminate with a 3/4 birch plywood substrate. I plan on using 3/4 x 1 1/2 oak for a band. My questions are what is the best type of glue to use to attach the band to the ply (does this need to be a waterproof type) and should I only use glue or some type of nail or brad as well. Thanks...

Bobby Hatfield
05-29-2003, 6:36 PM
Rick, if you can use clamps, yellow glue will do fine, if clamps are out of the question then yellow glue and nails, or screws, then plug the holes, sand and finish, looks nice and strong. I have been using dark glue for years because, I can see it eaiser for cleanup and if I miss a spot, maybe I can't see it for the stain. Waterproof glue will be needed if water is left standing on the countertop.

Ron Meadows
05-29-2003, 7:05 PM
I always glue and clamp mine. I use to use biscuits for alignment, but stopped after I got the hang of making them. Regular yellow glue is fine since most folks put the edges on first, apply the laminate, then chamfer or round over the edges last. The glue line will be covered by the laminate if you do it this way.

If it's at all possible I always clamp. Nothing looks worse to me than to see wood putty in nail holes.

Ron

Steve Clardy
05-29-2003, 10:03 PM
but do use an occasional 16 ga. brad where necessary, say at the ends. STeve

Bob Wilkerson
05-30-2003, 8:59 AM
I've always used just waterproof glue on the tops I've made with edgebanding. I've used biscuits on some, none on others and find the biscuits nice on long runs but more effort than needed on short ones. If you're just a bit proud of the surface a flush cutting router bit can clean it up nicely provided that you stay flat on the edge.

Bob

John Lucas
05-30-2003, 9:24 AM
I usually clamp one end to assist me but I use a tape dispenser and filament packing tape (3/4 or 1") and run strips every 6". I fasten the tape on the underside and rub it in well and then pull it tight over and up the edging and then 4" on the top. This tape is strong and has just enough stretch to work. I use carpenters glue...no slots, no spline...glue alone will do it. You can remove the tape in a n hr and clean off any residue with contact cement thinner...use sparingly.