PDA

View Full Version : I probably don't want a right tilt. . .

Ron Jones near Indy
02-17-2003, 10:14 PM
table saw do I? I have had a PM66 at work since 1975.:) I have a ShopSmith at home.:( Looks like I can afford a better saw at home by summer.:D My question is simple--would I feel comfortable using a right tilt machine after years on the left tilt or a table tilt? I think the answer is NO. Why do I ask? I've found a used rt unisaw in fair condition at a fair price. The more I think about this, the more I think I don't want a right tilt. Too many habits to change. Correct?:confused:

Thanks for helping clarify my confusion.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Ron, I think one of the deciding factors is what you're comfortable with. Sounds like you're comfortable with the left tilt so I'd say stay with that. It'd be easy to step in front of a kickback doing it the way you're used to.

Tony Laros
02-17-2003, 10:36 PM
I'm at the same decision point, thinking of upgrading from a decently performing but underpowered left-tilt Craftsman. I have gone through many of the Pond archives on the "left vs. right" posts, and there are several hundred, and no clear concensus. Many of the posts suggested to stay with what you learned on, and what you're comfortable with. Other posts indicated that a left-tilt saw is more suited to a right-handed person, and vice versa. Lots of discussion of bevel rips on a right-tilt creating more chance of kickbacks.

At this point I haven't decided. Do I have a hard time making a decision? Well..... yes and no....

Patrick Smith
02-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Ron,

My train of thought is if you're comfortable with a right-tilt, than stick with it. It makes it that much easier to make the transition from work to home, you know? You never have to think about (or forget about) the 'right' side for the cut. IMO I'd also take a used Unisaw over a new one anyday, too :D

Bruce Page
02-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Ron, just from a safety standpoint, go with what you are use to. I have a RT Unisaw. I chose the RT because that was what I was use to using.

Bart Leetch
02-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Stick with what your used to.

Jim Fuller
02-18-2003, 8:46 AM
I have an old delta contractor saw rt, and I don't care for it. I use it because it is what I have, but you always have to be careful, because it tilts toward the fence. If I had equal amounts of fence on both sides I don't think I would be as concerned. If I replace it, it will be with a left tilt.

Von Bickley
02-18-2003, 10:48 AM
Ron,
I have used both and presently have a right-tilt table saw in my shop. It is the first and last right-tilt saw for me. I will never have another right-tilt saw but that's just my opinion.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-18-2003, 4:39 PM
I guess I just wanted someone to tell me I wasn't overlooking the obvious. Don't know what color it will be, but it will be a left tilt.:D

Dave Anderson
02-18-2003, 4:59 PM
Someone else posted in this thread that they had read hundreds of archives on the Pond and the consensus was that there wasn't one! I.e., those who had left-tilt or right-tilt saws swore by THEIR model. The "virtues" of each are listed in mind-numbing detail.

I disagree for the following reason and the reason is the same as the advise I give you - people choose a left/right based on what they have used in the past. Both have plusses and minuses, both get the job done! If you are used to using a left-tilt TS, then you should probably get a left-tilt TS. Same for Righty's. The reason is simple - comfort. Some folks who switched from left to right or right to left have expressed they felt "uncomfortable" using the new saw.

You should feel comfortable and your mind at ease when using a TS. The fact you even posted this question suggests you already know the answer - FOR YOU.

I "graduated" from a left-tilt Craftsman to a PM66. I tried a General 350 and UniSaw, both right-tilt, before getting the 66. I felt uncomfortable using those saws because I wasn't used to the way they tilted. When I tried the 66 everything seemed more "normal."

So my $.02 get what you are used to using.

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-18-2003, 6:57 PM
I've used both, and the only time you're gonna even notice the difference is when you make a bevel cut. I do just an awful lot of woodbutchering, and probably only tilt the blade 1 percent of the time...and then usually only on a specific project. If you've found a good price, I say get the saw. Both the saws I use regulalrly are righties, but I used a lefty the other day and it took about a minute to 'get used to it' (I was using it for bevel crosscuts because it had extension tables on both ends and I needed the support).

The question is how 'comfortable' are you with the left tilt? Enough to pony up the extra bucks over the 'fair price' on a righty?

KC

Keith Outten
02-18-2003, 8:47 PM
Ron / All

I have an article on my web site that I wrote about the Excaibur sliding table. The reason for the article was a safety concern over using a right tilt saw. Four years ago I contacted every major saw manufacturer and discussed this with one of their engineers. Every engineer I spoke with acknowledged that right tilt saws are more dangerous than the left tilt designs.

This is why I purchased the Excalibur slider, to get around a very dangerous situation as I have a cabinet job (5 year contract) that I have to rip 60" lengths of plywood using a 22.5 degree blade tilt.

Visit my web site and read the Excalibur article if you are interested in "The Rest Of The Story". I have several pictures included with my article and this section of my web site gets thousands of hit per month. Ripping wood "underneath" a spinning blade is very dangerous and everyone should understand all of the details concerning combining ripping and angle cuts.

Be Safe!

Rick Balon
02-19-2003, 9:35 AM
Great, now that we have the right/left tilt figured out for Ron, what are we going to do with that unisaw? (posted by a chicagoian looking for a right tilt unisaw at the right price!!!)

Rick Balon
02-19-2003, 9:47 AM
Great, now that we have the right/left tilt figured out for Ron, what are we going to do with that unisaw? (posted by a chicagoian looking for a right tilt unisaw at the right price!!!)

Jason Roehl
02-19-2003, 9:58 AM
Is the question really about right vs. left tilt? The fence can be slapped on either side of the saw, and a second measuring index could be added for that (true, there's still the dado-width issue). I think that the real issue is habit vs. technique.

All of us started woodworking with no real habits, only techniques that we learned or taught ourselves and maybe even turned into habits eventually. Just because he is used to using a left-tilt doesn't mean that he can't think about what he is about to do when he flips on the switch of a right-tilt.

We're woodworkers, not factory automatons who can't adapt to a change because they've never done it any different (no disrespect to factory workers, just making a point). I think that is part of the mystique, if you will, of woodworkers--our ability to adapt, use new tools or techniques with little instruction. And, as we mature and grow in experience, the new techniques become easier to add (unless we work hard to become set in our ways).

Sorry for my philosophical waxing, but I just got a general sense of a "can't be done" spirit in this thread that I believe to be anathema to woodworking.

Jason

Bart Leetch
02-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Jason your tight. But at the same time you'd feel real bad if someone got hurt because they were working with a right tilt saw & using it like they normally would a left tilt because there was something that they were unaware that they should have done differently. Most people should stay with which ever saw tilt configuration they are used to & comfortable with.

Jason Roehl
02-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Bart Leetch
But at the same time you'd feel real bad if someone got hurt because they were working with a right tilt saw & using it like they normally would a left tilt because there was something that they were unaware that they should have done differently.

Yep, I would. I guess I didn't mean to imply that people should do things that they aren't confident they can do safely most or all of the time. Not to mention, but right after I wrote that, I read one of the articles in the latest FWW, where the author advocates doing things the same way virtually every time, kind of suggesting ways to merge production techniques into the home shop. I guess I'm mostly influenced at this point by the idea of experimentation because I'm still relatively new to woodworking and still have lots to learn. That's why I'm more likely to do something I'm unfamiliar with, just so I can stretch myself and learn. Keeps my mind involved, too--I dislike mindless, repetitive work for long periods of time.

Jason

Dave Anderson
02-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Jason Roehl
...I dislike mindless, repetitive work for long periods of time.
Jason

Jason,
Tell us all how you feel about sanding! :p

Jason Roehl
02-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Dave Anderson
Jason,
Tell us all how you feel about sanding! :p

Depends on which kind...ever sand floors with a 7.5HP 12" belt sander w/40 grit? Very repetitive, but strangely enjoyable for me.

As for finish sanding, I would say I typically err on the side of too little. Probably because it's mindless and repetitive. :D

Jason

Bart Leetch
02-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Jason

I agree. I also play piano & if the music reads out to be repetitive I won't even bother to try playing it. On the other hand if it changes even though it may have some of the same music played again at a later time in the piece I'll at least give it a try. Any dummy can play the same set of chords over & over.

Mike Goodwin
02-19-2003, 11:52 AM
My brother has a left tilt, I have a right tilt and each of us is comfortable with either saw. Taking the time to think about each cut is far more important than which way the blade tilts. A mistake on any saw can be dangerous.

Mike

Jason Roehl
02-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Bart Leetch
Any dummy can play the same set of chords over & over.

You've never seen this dummy play piano!!!:D :D :D

Jason

Joe_Ott
02-19-2003, 12:48 PM
I have a Grizzly 1023SL. Left tilt seems to work for me. My old saw was right, and I have used my father's right tilt Unisaw.

I'm left handed and always seem to stand to the right of the blade/work clear from kickback. If I need to tilt the blade and make a cut, it's "over there on the left" away from me...

Good luck,
Joe.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-19-2003, 7:35 PM
The owner gave it to his grandson. That's the way it should be anyway! I hope the grandson is able to give it to his grandson!:cool:

Dave Anderson
02-19-2003, 7:44 PM
Originally posted by Ron Jones near Indy
The owner gave it to his grandson...

Ron,
Sounds like you never really had a chance at that saw! Let's all be happy for "Sonny Boy"

At least you started the first Left vs Right tilt discussion on this forum and got some good advise! :D