PDA

View Full Version : Aging new cedar to look like old...Help

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm working on a restoration project for a guy at work. It's an old red cedar blanket chest and I've had to replace a board on the lib of the chest.
The old finish looks like old dark garnet shellac to me. Does anyone have any tricks to make the new board look like the old boards?

scott vroom
12-13-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm working on a restoration project for a guy at work. It's an old red cedar blanket chest and I've had to replace a board on the lib of the chest.
The old finish looks like old dark garnet shellac to me. Does anyone have any tricks to make the new board look like the old boards?

Exposing high tannin wood to sunlight will accelerate aging somewhat.

The fastest method I've found is to treat a high tannin wood with potassium dichromate...it will instantly age the wood. I used it on a sapele project with excellent results. Comes in crystalline form, mix a very small amount with water, wipe on/wipe off..done. PD requires rubber gloves and a respirator as it is somewhat toxic, but completely safe with proper handling.

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2014, 1:52 PM
Scott,
Where would I find potassium dichromate locally?

scott vroom
12-13-2014, 2:13 PM
Scott,
Where would I find potassium dichromate locally?

Dennis, I purchased mine from Shellac.net. The owner, Ron, has decades of refinishing experience including extensive knowledge of potassium dichromate and would be happy to discuss your project with you.

http://www.shellac.net/index.html (select "chemical stains" about half way down on the left of the opening page)
707-226-3623

Scott Holmes
12-13-2014, 7:54 PM
Alternative would be to add a bit of dye to the garnet shellac.