PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw orientation on mobile base question.

Raymond Fries
12-12-2014, 5:49 PM
After I built the drill press cabinet and base, the Shop Fox mobile base that came with the drill press is free to use elsewhere. So I thought I would use it to put my Shop Fox bandsaw on. For those of you that have your and bandsaw on a mobile base, do you have it with the wheels pulling front to back or side to side? Just questioning if I put it with the wheels front to back, if I will be kicking the wheels with my toes.

How do you guys have yours oriented?

Jim Becker
12-12-2014, 5:54 PM
A little different situation with my MM, but the wheels are on the back and the unit is moved in the front to back access...likely for stability. Rolling sideways could be less safe for a bandsaw.

Bruce Page
12-12-2014, 6:37 PM
Standing as if using the saw, mine are side to side.

Kent A Bathurst
12-12-2014, 6:59 PM

Ditto.

Bill Huber
12-12-2014, 7:26 PM
I have a Jet 14" on a mobile base, my base is the type with one wheel in front and the 2 wheels in back.

So I guess the question is what is the front of a band saw?

So if I am standing looking at the teeth pointing at me the back is to my left and the front is to my right, the table pin goes in the front of the table.

Kent A Bathurst
12-12-2014, 10:01 PM
I have a Jet 14" on a mobile base, my base is the type with one wheel in front and the 2 wheels in back.

So I guess the question is what is the front of a band saw?

So if I am standing looking at the teeth pointing at me the back is to my left and the front is to my right, the table pin goes in the front of the table.

Semantics.

In my scenario, the teeth are pointing at me, so the front is at my belt, and the back is on the opposite side of the table from my belt. The fixed wheels are to the left, behind the "C-frame" casting.

Raymond Fries
12-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Guess the base can really go either way. I was going to put it side to side but after close examination, it appears that because of the close quarters where it will it will be better to have the wheels front to back. If I do not put it this way, I am sure that I will be hitting my ankle bones on the wheel brackets. Ouch.

John McClanahan
12-12-2014, 10:53 PM
I did the same as Bruce and Kent. I think it all boils down to where you plan to move it to and from. I find that pushing or pulling while steering the tool from the swivel end to work the best.

John

Kent A Bathurst
12-13-2014, 9:42 AM
I did the same as Bruce and Kent. I think it all boils down to where you plan to move it to and from. I find that pushing or pulling while steering the tool from the swivel end to work the best.

John

That's why forklifts are set up this way.

Mike Cutler
12-13-2014, 10:34 AM
I have two bandsaws on mobile bases.
As I face the saws to work, the fixed wheels are to the left, and the steering wheels to the right. It definitely doesn't work for me to have the orientation 90 degrees different, because my foot would hit the steering wheels and the lift mechanism.

Frederick Skelly
12-13-2014, 11:33 AM

Mine too......

Mike Null
12-13-2014, 12:25 PM
My Laguna is side to side.